'97 Patrol Y60 2.8L Turbo Timing Belt

Submitted: Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:30
ThreadID: 11031 Views:10413 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day everyone,
Has anyone who's renewed the timing belt on the 2.8L Turbo been able to do it at home without having to use the T30 Torx socket. Or is it only a job for a Diesel Workshop or Nissan Dealer?
The only major trouble I've had with my Patrol is that it was hard to start start when hot after being left switched off for approx' 10 minutes or more.
The the Dealer I bought it off (2nd hand 62,000 k's) couldn't fix it and the Local Nissan Dealer's service manager, wouldn't help me, unless as he said I had hundreds of thousands of dollars to Buy a Nissan Dealership and then I would be able to look at a workshop manual.
I rang Nissan Australia in Melbourne and they said they didn't talk to customers except through their dealers.
So I took it to the local Auto Electricians and after 10 months they had it fixed.
They said it was the pump body expanding when hot, which caused it to lose pressure. It's fixed now and going very well.
Re' the front wheel wobble, I had the freeplay taken out of the front left swivel hub by adjusting the shims, a wheel alignment and off car balance. It's good now too.
Thanks & regards Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gumagoo93 - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 15:20

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 15:20
Hi Peter
I have changed the timing belt on my GU2.8...I have a set of Torx bits but from memory I didn't use them in the job....if you loosen the nut on the tensioner, the belt should more or less fall off....be very careful that you get the timing right when fitting the new belt, especially lining the mark on the crankshaft gear with the mark on the housing...I had a problem with the injector pump on my GU....was very difficult to start when hot.....ended up having to get it rebuilt....good luck...Don
AnswerID: 49274

Follow Up By: Peter - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 18:05

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 18:05
Hi Don,
I'll pay attention to lining up the marks, thanks for the help.
Regards,
Peter.
FollowupID: 311138

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:50

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:50
Hi Peter,

You can purchase the Nissan factory manual Y60 RD2.8T supplement for about $65. I purchased mine from the Pitstop Bookshop here in Perth, though sure you can get it from most auto bookshops. I have a GU 2.8 (which is subtely different in a few areas) but find that the manual is a very handy reference.

The timing belt is definitely something you can do (assuming you've some mechanical aptitude, which it seems you do). Comments on timing marks are spot on. The manual gives very good instruction on this. If you like I could fax/ email you a copy of relevant pages.

There was a thread last week discussing the 2.8 starting difficulties, which mine is now suffering. Reference was made to shimming the fuel pump. Do you know what was done to your pump to fix it up?

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 49348

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:22

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:22
Hi Hugh,

I have bought the Gregory's No 512 Patrol/Maverick with the 2.8 Litre supplement from Repco and I agree, it is very good.
My pump was rebuilt a few times but that didn't fix it and so after all of that they put a new pump on it.

That's all I know about it Hugh, but a reply I got from EX7RHA (if you haven't aleady seen it) could be helpful - as follows:-

EX7RHA replied to the question
Peter.
I have a Y61 RD28T and have had the same hot start problem.
My local dealer was (is) great with regards this problem, You need a new shimmed
pump cover and "o" ring, part # 16826-V0700 Cost $16.54 + tax. I'm not sure if the part number just relates to the o ring or the cover itself, as I've only got the one part number in my tool box, however it was a warranty problem if customers complained about it, so any decent Nissan dealer should know about it. In regards to the timing belt, no problems just follow the directions in the workshop manual, I use a Gregory's No. 512. One trick I learnt when I used to be a mechanic is mark all your pulleys with whiteout, in addition to setting up with factory marks. This gives you a quick reference once you put it all back together the theory being, if it ran when it came in, it will run when it goes out. I can't remember using the torx bit when I did my belt at 100,000. Had no problems however it is good practice to replace the crank shaft oil seal and the cam shaft oil seals when doing the job as these are cheap as chips anyway, and saves doing the job twice. Just be careful getting off the bottom sprocket as they can be quite tight.
Good luck.

Thanks Hugh,
Regards, Peter.

FollowupID: 311312

Reply By: EX7RHA - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 22:40

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 22:40
Peter.
I have a Y61 RD28T and have had the same hot start problem.
My local dealer was (is) great with regards this problem, You need a new shimmed
pump cover and "o" ring, part # 16826-V0700 Cost $16.54 + tax. I'm not sure if the part number just relates to the o ring or the cover itself, as I've only got the one part number in my tool box, however it was a warranty problem if customers complained about it, so any decent Nissan dealer should know about it. In regards to the timing belt, no problems just follow the directions in the workshop manual, I use a Gregory's No. 512. One trick I learnt when I used to be a mechanic is mark all your pulleys with whiteout, in addition to setting up with factory marks. This gives you a quick reference once you put it all back together the theory being, if it ran when it came in, it will run when it goes out. I can't remember using the torx bit when I did my belt at 100,000. Had no problems however it is good practice to replace the crank shaft oil seal and the cam shaft oil seals when doing the job as these are cheap as chips anyway, and saves doing the job twice. Just be careful getting off the bottom sprocket as they can be quite tight.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 49467

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:34

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:34
Hi EX7RHA,

I've bought the Gregory's No 512 and it is very good. What a surprise to learn that your hard starting was fixed so easy compared to mine.
I'll use the whiteout to mark the pulleys and I'm going to renew the tensioner and idle pulleys, that's why I wondering about the T30 Torx socket. Repco supply a timing belt kit with the belt & puleys in it and I'll renew the crank & camshaft oils too.

Thanks EX7RHA,
Regards, Peter.
FollowupID: 311313

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 00:23

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 00:23
Thanks for the info EX7RHA. Same problem with my GU.

I'll check this out with my local dealer. I've learn't to cope by letting the key stay on a little longer before starting - works but not all the time. The problem always seems worst when my wife drives - to the point she doesn't like driving it anymore.

Hugh
FollowupID: 311397

Reply By: EX7RHA - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 19:17

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 19:17
Hi Peter,
When you get your parts from REPCO check that the seals are right as i
ordered my parts over the phone and had them freighted door to door and the seals and belt were wrong. A complete stuff around.
The seals were actually cheaper genuine,and the belt only slightly more so(it's a GATES belt anyway)
With so many Torx bolts now fitted it would pay to pop into supa cheap.
Hope all go's well.
AnswerID: 49577

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:52

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:52
Hi EX7RHA,

that's good to know, I'll get a few quotes and make sure they get the right parts. I don't want to have it pulled apart & then find out I have the wrong parts, that would give me the *****.

Thanks again EX7RHA,
Regards Peter.
FollowupID: 311378

Reply By: Billowaggi - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 00:49

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 00:49
Hi all . With the RD28T motor the timing reference marks are white lines marked on the timing belt itself these match up with the marks on the crank, cam , and pump gears. Just be aware some aftemarket [non genuine] belts do not have these markings, buy a genuine timing belt the price should be competative with the aftermarket.
Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 49624

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:49

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:49
Hi Billowaggi,

thanks for that info',

Regards, Peter.
FollowupID: 311425

Follow Up By: EX7RHA - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 23:55

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 23:55
Peter,
Billowaggi is spot on about the belt marks and it's really clear when
the belts fitted,however be aware that when you have fitted the belt and tightened the tensioner you should turn the motor over at lest one complete turn(by hand...do not use the starter...I have seen it done)this
just makes sure that the belt is aligned correctly and that there isn't excessive slack in the belt....The white lines will not now line up and you will have to rely on the factory marks
Back to the hot start problem...The cover i,m talking of fits on the outer side of the pump between the pump and battery and is held in place with two 10mm bolts. It takes about 10 mins to do. You will lose a small amount of fuel and must bleed the pump but dead easy. any problems let me know. cheers Nino.
FollowupID: 311530

Follow Up By: Peter - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:28

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:28
Hi Nino,

if I run into problems I'll let you know,

thanks, Peter.
FollowupID: 311617

Sponsored Links