Bloomfield track.

Hi all, just watching a gall boys DVD and they took a van along the Bloomfield track. the last time I was up that way ( 1990 ) from memory that would be a big ask. Has anybody done it with a 19' van in the last couple of years ?

Cheers warren.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Dec 10, 2014 at 23:03

Wednesday, Dec 10, 2014 at 23:03
It's not that difficult these days, so long as you have reasonable clearance and articulation. Certainly no problem for camper trailers, though it is a bit narrow in places so need to be careful when passing oncoming traffic.
There is one very steep section early, when travelling north, which requires a fair bit of grunt just because of the gradient. However that section now has the surface concreted, so there isn't an issue with traction or anything - but don't think I'd like to try dragging 3 or 4 tonnes up there.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 542819

Reply By: Duncbot - Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 at 14:54

Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 at 14:54
We did the Bloomfield South to North in Sept 13 in a hired Suzuki with four people in it. It wasn't difficult at that time of year. Different story if it's wet but I think with the appropriate vehicle and tyres you wouldn't have too much trouble. We weren't towing anything but I reckon you'd be right.
AnswerID: 542841

Reply By: Tony F8 - Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 at 15:57

Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 at 15:57
Just ensure you have very good brakes on the tug and van, and definitely be easier with a rig like that if it was dry.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 542844

Reply By: braggy - Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 at 16:35

Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 at 16:35
You should have no problems, unless there has been a lot of rain, the couple of steep ups and downs are concrete, the river crossings are hard bottom, the Bloomfield river crossing is a bridge now, from Wujal Wujal north is bitumen. The road is narrow in a few spots, but don't let that put you off,most of it is wide enough, and well graded
Get it in low range , first gear going down the steep bits,

There are a couple of nice spots beside the river, for a stop and a look around

We had no trouble and it rained the night before.(14" poptop, 76 Cruiser)

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 542845

Reply By: Warren B - Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 at 19:21

Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 at 19:21
Thanks for that guys, van is off road / dirt road. My problem which I haven't solved yet is a group of us from Melbourne are going up in 2015 almost all towing off road campers (self included ) ...... BUT..... they want to do it in 4 weeks I say we will miss out on to much and will be better to do a small area and enjoy ourselves.
The wife want to have a look at the Bloomfield and the Lions Den was shut when there last so must have a beer there. I don't know wether to take the van and let them run to the top while we have a look at the bottom half, or take the camper and go to the top with them at a million miles per hour just for a photo op.

Cheers Warren
AnswerID: 542850

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 20:45

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 20:45
Hi Warren, the Bloomfield is not really a track any more and would be better termed a road. Numerous improvements noted above have been made the last few years. You are right with the problem of only 4 weeks from Melb to the Tip. What to see and what to miss? It's all fantastic but 9 weeks would be better. On the other hand we did the whole track and return in a day from Daintree when the Creb track proved impassable. With several vehicles a trip from Daintree up the Creb and back via the Bloomfield could be viable..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 829633

Reply By: Omaa - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 16:26

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 16:26
Hi Warren.We have been up there in 2009 and 1012, tenting as wanted to do side tracks as well as Bloomfield. Four weeks "flying" is dangerous to say the least. We have had so many close calls because of vehicles with trailers coming around corners too quickly, because the have limited time to get up there & back. Just have to speak to the roadhouse owners. The roads are great now but they are still dirt with corrugations with intermittent sealed for "passing lanes" . We asked so mnay to turn their lights on, especially if in a convoy & how many in the convoy as impossible to see oncoming vehicles in the dust.
Take you time & enjoy your trip as so much to see. Just my opinion.
AnswerID: 542946

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Monday, Dec 22, 2014 at 17:40

Monday, Dec 22, 2014 at 17:40
Just for interest sake, this is from the Destination Daintree website ....
http://www.destinationdaintree.com/locations/the-bloomfield-track

"The Track is generally unsuitable for trailers and definitely not caravans. An enjoyable 4WD drive if the driver is sensible and drives carefully."

I guess that is a disclaimer in case anything goes wrong ....... Of course, you need to drive according to the conditions, and if it has been wet, I for one wouldn't risk it.

Merry Christmas everyone.
cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 543261

Sponsored Links