Which fillet knife?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:30
ThreadID: 110436 Views:3983 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Here's a question for the fisherman on here. I want to buy a fish fillet knife for out fishing trip to Port Lincoln. Haven't got the foggiest idea what would be a good, but affordable knife which won't be used again after this trip soon again.
Cheers
Lindie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:36

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:36
Hi Lindie
The size of fish will determine what knife you should get. The knife needed to fillet say a large snapper wouldn't suit doing a whiting.

As for which type and brand that's a very open ended question.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 543051

Reply By: Member - cherrywipe - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 13:10

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 13:10
Hi Lindie,
Try Spot on fishing supply shop on Tasman Tce Port Lincoln. They will have what's required. Advice on where to fish also.
Cheers Cherry.
AnswerID: 543052

Reply By: Kelpie D - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 13:20

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 13:20
Hi Lindie,

It comes down to how much you want to pay. Obviously not a lot. You could look at brands in the $300, $400 or even $500 or $600. Or at the other end you could get one from Kmart for $7.

If $30 to $60 is within your budget, take at look at the brand Blade Runner. I am pretty sure BCF stock them.
AnswerID: 543053

Follow Up By: Kelpie D - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 13:41

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 13:41
http://search.bcf.com.au/search?w=blade%20runner

I just looked it up for you. Seems BCF only have the Teflon coated BR now. Still, nothing wrong with that. $40 each.

Don't get the 16cm. It is more a boning knife than a fillet knife.

If are not overly experienced with filleting (if you were, you would already have a fillet knife) I would suggest the "straight" blade. It is easier to handle. 20cm is pretty standard and will handle all your filleting jobs, big and small and not just fish.
FollowupID: 829870

Reply By: Glenn C5 - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 15:21

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 15:21
Good call Kelpie D. Bladerunner would be ideal
AnswerID: 543055

Reply By: Gnomey - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 16:42

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 16:42
Hi Lindie
As you can see opinions vary. I've been filleting fish for 40 something years and in relative terms I'm fairly serious about my knives - filleting included.

My choice for the job is a 6" Victorinox curved boning knife model # 5.6603.15. Should cost about $30.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 543057

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 16:46

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 16:46
whilst everyone will have an opinion as a butcher Id also say while arguments over which is the best may be vailid if you got victorinox you couldnt go too far wrong
FollowupID: 829875

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 19:56

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 19:56
This comes up a bit on the various a fishing forums I am on. The knife i use as an all rounder is the 'zest' brand fillet knife. It is around the $30 mark, is available at BCF, and is distributed by Wilson tackle. It is Japanese stainless and will resist rust well while still being readily touched up - a difficult balance to achieve.
Keep an eye out for old bone handled carving knives etc if you want best possible sharpness. The old carbon steel knives are still the benchmark in that department but they require more love than most when being used around fish and salt water. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 543063

Follow Up By: Kelpie D - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 21:47

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 21:47
Are you on fishing reminder? I am ! I seem to remember a GBC posting there...

Yeah, Wilson is OK. Never looked at the zest.

I am not sure if the OP wants to be mind numbed...but since you mention it...

The reason (apart from price) that I suggested the Blade Runner, is very much why you suggest the Zest.

It has a nice carbon softness to it, but still enough chrome to be hard and stainless. I don't know if it's by design or not. But the BR is soft enough to keep nice and sharp and very easy to steel and keep keen. At the same time being hard and durable against the salt.

When the OP says she hasn't got the foggiest. That tells me that high chrome is out. She will be very disappointed and frustrated after the first day and finds it needs to be sharpened, and try as she may cannot get an edge on it...

So, with out even seeing it, I will vote for the Zest as well...or the Blade Runner ;)
FollowupID: 829900

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 07:49

Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 07:49
I haven't heard of fishing reminder? I also have a blade runner and agree with your sentiment. It is always sharp, doesn't rust away in storage like some of my expensive ones did, and is ever reliable. This is highly subjective at this level, but I find the blade runners very stiff in the blade, where the zest is deeper in the heel but still more flexible. I use the blade runner for bait prep and other activities where the stiff blade and those long thin points work a treat (jamming cable ties through mullet heads, bleeding tuna, iki jime etc). I've got to admit though, I've always found them a bit thin in the heel for filleting though. Again, a super subjective thought process and one which the op would do well to take with a grain of salt. I like the blade runners, I have one. I just like the zest better as a starter knife because it would be a little more forgiving? I hope that makes sense and is taken in the spirit in which it was written.
FollowupID: 829913

Follow Up By: Kelpie D - Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 08:44

Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 08:44
http://www.fishingreminder.com/

Mark is the bloke that owns it. He is a Kiwi, so the site is based in NZ. But lots of Aussies there too. It's worth having a look. Oh, and it is not a busy forum, it can be weeks between posts because everyone is out fushing. It has just under 60,000 members.

Yes, that all makes sense. As I say, I have not looked at the Zest so cannot comment. But it sounds OK to me. If it is a bit more flexible than the Blade Runner, it might be the better choice. Mind you, I have never had an issue with the BR. It is flexible enough to knock the fillets off small fish like long tom and whiting but firm enough to go cleanly through to the spine in one go on larger fish like tuna and snapper.
FollowupID: 829915

Reply By: lbudgie - Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 22:11

Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 22:11
just get a Cheepie. 12 bucks or so, if you lose it or after you store it for a while and it goes rusty (even the $600 jobs go rusty if not looked after) its only a few bucks.
I do a fair bit of fishing and just use the chepies mostly. they sometimes go overboard, expensive ones sink just as fast as cheap ones. got a few dearer ones that I use for the tuna and snapper but the cheep ones work just as good for most other stuff. just need to keep them sharp. I presume you don't do much fishing? if not don't waste your cash if your not going to constantly use it.
just my thoughts.
Paul
AnswerID: 543103

Follow Up By: deserter - Thursday, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:12

Thursday, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:12
Agree. I fish weekly and have tried lots of knives.

For what you want, the cheapies start out very sharp and will do the job for the day out you are planning. Yet it will still give longevity if you are only using it now and then. Go to Big W and get the cheapest.
FollowupID: 829993

Reply By: Lazybugger - Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 23:23

Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 23:23
I am on some of the same forums as GBC. Based on one of the threads on one of those I bought a pair of F-dick knives. A Boning knife and 20cm filleting knife. The latter is for larger fish like mackeral and tuna. The smaller one has been doing good work on snapper and sweetlip. Would be fine fir bream and flathead too. I would use something smaller and more flexible if I was doing whiting.

One tip. Forget BCF. Have a look at everten or some of the other online kitchenware stores. You will save heaps. However you need to make sure your wife, your credit card and these websites never meet.
AnswerID: 543105

Sponsored Links