Hj47 power steering

Submitted: Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 22:37
ThreadID: 110475 Views:5046 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all doing a resto on a Hj 47. Iv been looking for some pics of power steering conversion. I have a complete 60 series as a donor but not sure what to do with the steering column. Any advice welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 00:50

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 00:50
I'd suggest you ask here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/724969530855717/

Be nice to Nikky and prove you own a fourty.....

I'm currently in the process of doing the same thing on my HJ47. My understanding is you'll have to shorten & re-weld the coulmn to put the PS coupler on. Also the new mount on the right side of the engine for the PS hydralic unit and also remove a part of the engine bay panel to fit it in.
AnswerID: 543175

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:18

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:18
Scott,

Been many a long year since I owned my earlier FJ40, HJ45 and HJ47's so I'm sure your research is probably a lot more up to date than my fading memory but wasn't a fair bit of the reason the diesel variants of those models had no power steering something to do with the power steering pump not having enough chassis clearance when used on the 2H engines?
When I was in the local volly bushfire brigade we had 2 light tankers. They were both early 80's vehicles ex the WA National Parks mob.
One was a petrol FJ45 with power steering and the other a HJ47 diesel with out. When a call out was on there was a rush to get into the drivers seat of the 45 with the power steering. The 47 without gave the "armstrong steering" a good workout in the tight stuff...lol.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 830076

Follow Up By: Member - mechpete - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:20

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:20
don,t cut an weld anything on the steering
its illegal and unroadworthy , no insurance you will have to it
certified by an engineer to ok it .
cheers mechpete
FollowupID: 830077

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:35

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:35
Mechpete, it has been done plenty of times on HJ47's and passed certification. What the majority do is to take a PS until from an early 60 series and modify for the 47.

Given that the early 60 series has the same frame and chassis and engine as the HJ47, it's a fairly straight fit. The only things that need to be changed / modified are:

1. right hand side engine mount replaced with a 60 mount to allow for the hydralic unit to be attached
2. dual pully system in front of engine
3. some minor body work to allow clearance for the PS unit
4. depending on whether you use the 60 series steering column or wish to retain the 40 series column, the latter may have to be shortenend slightly by a qualified mechanic or engineer.

There are numerous reputable 4wd mechanics and shops who will do this conversion and certify it. I also know a number of expereinced 40 series owners who have done this and got it past compliance.
FollowupID: 830081

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:44

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:44
Pop, you're correct, there does need to be some additional clearance required, however it's minor (around 2-3 inches square) of non structural engine bay chassis cut away. I suspect the main reason Mr Tojo didn't fit PS to the later HJ4's was they knew the 60 series was on the way and it wasn't worth the effort.

Actually the fiddliest bit is the dual pully and clearance on the radiator, which may need to be shifted forward a bit.

It's a bit of pfaffing around, however it's been done plenty of times and passed muster. As I said above, the frame and engine for the early 60's diesels was identical to the HJ47.
FollowupID: 830085

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 11:21

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 11:21
Mechpete is partly correct. If you read up on VSB4, which covers LHD to RHD conversions, you'll find the following advice and instructions (below) as regards altering steering components.

For all practical purposes and for safety and cost benefits, it's usually a lot easier and cheaper to just utilise untouched steering components that fit, rather than buggering around with major alterations to components.

Capitals are mine because this forum won't let you use bold print.

"GENERAL
Heating or Welding of Steering Components
While heating or welding of steering components such as steering connecting link, tie rods, pitman or idler arms, etc is NOT RECOMMENDED, it MAY be acceptable, subject to an engineering report being submitted, which includes comment on the following:
1. material specifications of the component to be modified;
2. specifications on weld material and compatibility with the parent material;
3. description and/or diagrams of the preparation of the component if welding is involved;
4. details of preheating if required prior to modification;
5. details of heat treatment procedure after modifications;
6. hardness testing before and after modification of the modified zone;
7. results of non destructive testing supported by a certificate issued by a NATA approved materials testing laboratory to verify that the structural integrity of the component is maintained.
All welding must be in accordance with Australian Standard AS 1554 Part 1 1985 "Welding of Steel Structures" SP (Structural Purpose) category unless a higher standard is specified."

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 830089

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 17:11

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 17:11
When I changed to power steer on my HJ 47, I used the steering sharft from a 45, no need to cut and shut. Engine mount from a 60. I had to angle the bottom outlet on the radiator to clear double pully.

There is no cutting or mods required in the chassis, steering box is a straight replacement.
FollowupID: 830106

Follow Up By: Shon M - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 22:01

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 22:01
Hay Scott she looks sweet.Thank everyone for the input it will be very handy.
FollowupID: 830120

Reply By: mountainman - Sunday, Dec 21, 2014 at 18:29

Sunday, Dec 21, 2014 at 18:29
I have hj47..
No power steering but stumbled on a few parts when I had to put another 2h engine in.. out of a 60..
Hopefully better on fuel.
happened to have the power steer pump bolted still to the block..SCORE.

trouble is.. removed power steer from engine but left the engine mount bracket on..
wouldnt line up with the chassis mounts on drivers side.
soo had to put the old engine bracket on engine.
and one day if power steering was required.. weld on a lug for power steering to fit.

also pulleys fouled on the water pump to crank pulley or belt adjuster.
this was only a couple weeks ago and still fresh in my mind.
ive put the power steering in the 2 hard basket for the minute.
need to get engine up and running.
hj47 had a factory power steering. ..5spd and air conditioning but was an option
of which very few asked but they are around.
have photos of conversions on my laptop... as its a to do list of mods down the track.
email me if youd like..
tacklesnout@yahoo.com
send some pictures to you!
AnswerID: 543231

Sponsored Links