Camping Mattress

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 17:52
ThreadID: 110533 Views:2553 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at purchasing a mattress for tent bush camping , we would be using it for 4 weeks at a time, so looking for something comfortable as we are both in our late forties. Any input would be appreciated. Cheers Cath
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 18:53

Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 18:53
That's a personal thing, depending on aches and pains, personal preference and sleeping posture.

You are 20 years younger than me and I am comfortable on a 75mm self-inflating foam mattress. It rolls up into about a 250mm cylinder.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 543418

Reply By: Member - Tony F8 - Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 19:47

Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 19:47
As said previously, it is personal preference, for example we used to have a good brand self inflator in the swag for a couple of years, we have now gone back to the 50mm high density with a eggshell topper. It works for us, both offer reasonable insulation from rising cold, definately do not go for a blow up, you will find yourself freezing from below in winter.
Cheers.
Tony.
AnswerID: 543421

Reply By: Holly Anne - Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 21:36

Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 21:36
I've got an Oztrail camping mattress, and I love it. If you get the 4wd version like I have, they are 10 centimeters thick. They come in a range of sizes, including king single and queen and double. I'd highly recommend them!
AnswerID: 543426

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 08:37

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 08:37
We've also got an Oztrail double self-inflater. 100 mm thick, and quite comfortable. But when it comes to rolling it up, it's pretty much a 2 person job, and takes up a fair bit of room, something like a poorly rolled swag, if you have limited space.

In a thread, a year or two ago, one poster recommend two singles rather than a double or queen size. Think he was right, as they are easier to roll up, and pack away. The other plus with singles is, if you have a "domestic", you can always take "your" mattress and bedding, and move to the other side of the fire...........or even further away. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 830390

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 10:58

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 10:58
Agree that the 100mm 4WD mattresses as they are often referred to are very comfortable to use and reasonably priced.

All the chain camping stores carry their own brand version which is the same thing. The downside is they are bulkier than the more expensive ones but if you have the room they are great. As Bob said I would go with the single mattresses as they are much easier to roll up and store.
If size is an issue you will pay about double or more to get an equivalent mattress comfort wise that rolls up more compactly
FollowupID: 830396

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 22:33

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 22:33
Cathy,

Just be careful with the single ones too, some are not as thick as the double units.

We have two, "Hers" is probably 80-100mm thick, and very comfortable, while His is somewhat anerexic(??), and not as comfortable for the senior male these days, as it would have been when he was still 6 foot tall and bulletproof. :-)

Case of choose wisely......not sight unseen.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 830416

Follow Up By: Glenn C5 - Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 19:11

Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 19:11
Bloody good excuse to cuddle up on the thick mattress. Don't let a chance go by mate.
FollowupID: 830448

Reply By: alhow - Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 21:50

Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 21:50
We have self inflating mattresses, bot the Thermarest and Oztrail 80mm type and foam mattresses.

If you are after compactness/self inflating and price not a concern, go for the Thermarest. These are quality mattresses and very comfortable. We found the Oztrail type just packed down to the point we were lying on flat ground by morning and these were new mattresses. We moved them on! From our experience the only self inflating mattresses worth investing in is the Thermarest style. Lately we combined the 30mm Thermarest with a 40mm foam mattress and it was very comfortable. Now the wife wants to be off the ground so we just bought some stretchers and will run either the foam or Thermarest on these.
AnswerID: 543428

Follow Up By: Gnomey - Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 15:51

Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 15:51
Another unqualified vote for the thermarest. I have two. One is an original and got to be 20+ years old. I bought the second one a few years back. From memory the current deluxe model is the same size as the old standard one. Whatever. They work for me and occasionally my partner.

FWIW I average two to three months a year sleeping on them, one or both, so the price of a good night's sleep makes the purchase price seem a lot more reasonable. Mileage varies.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 830440

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 20:11

Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 20:11
Mine's a mountain designs 35mm mat. Similar mats. I can comfortably sleep on the ground with it when going lightweight, but for 4 weeks I'd combine it with a camp stretcher for a luxurious sleep.
FollowupID: 830450

Follow Up By: pling - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 10:34

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 10:34
We went to two single Thermarest 10 years ago from double pump up.
Wished I had gone 30 years earlier.
We sleep on two singles in a double sleeping bag and are wrapped in the Thermarests.
We have been tent camping for over 45 years - love it!
FollowupID: 830592

Reply By: Rainman WA - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 11:12

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 11:12
Exped Megamat, 100mm thick when inflated and deflates down to 25cm very easily when rolled up. Comes with a little hand pump which allows you to add extra air quickly if you want it a little harder and its one way inflate/deflate valves really work. It comes with a premium price, but is thermal rated to -48°c and is the best thing I've bought for camping on the ground. Best of all, it always fits back into its carry bag.

Exped Megamat
AnswerID: 543447

Reply By: Member - Russler - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 15:54

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 15:54
We slept on a Queen sized air mattress (velour top) for years, and used a 12v pump to inflate it until it was very firm. Can't complain about the quality of sleep as a result. Being an air mattress it folded down to not very much.
AnswerID: 543461

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 17:59

Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 17:59
I think from my experience of years of camping is to get your sleeping gear off the ground, especially as you age. If tents are your thing, get a stretcher, single or double, your choice but singles have more support unless you get a brand with a complex base system. Once you are off the ground, what you place on the stretcher, if anything, depending on the type you buy, is less important. We have had a Roof Top Tent for 5 years now and its much more pleasant than sleeping on the ground. The bases are insulated and are warm in winter being off the ground and cooler in summer, being two metres high, enough to get the occasional breeze in still conditions! The lack of dirt and dust in the RRT is a distinct advantage that we enjoy. Yes the downside is your vehicle and gear will be needed to be packed up every time you want to go somewhere but you can always buy a box trailer if you don't mind towing a trailer, you can fit the roof top tent to it. Also you can take more gear and keep the weight out of your vehicle and avoid overloading and you can leave it at camp to secure your camp site!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 543493

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 02:54

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 02:54
I have a self-inflating mattress and put an Earth mat under it to isolate you from the rising cold - both on the ground or on a stretcher

cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 543502

Reply By: Mudguard - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 09:50

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 09:50
We went for comfort when we go tent camping so we chose Thermarest " Dreamtime" mattresses they were the thickest then and came with a removable Pillow top type of cover.
AnswerID: 543511

Sponsored Links