Sunday History Photo / NSW

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 08:54
ThreadID: 110543 Views:4690 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Ben Lomond Township is 6 km off the New England Highway between Guyra and Glen Innes. The village is at the bottom of the Ben Lomond Mountain which is 1520m above sea level. The Township has an elevation of 1370m making it the highest village in Northern NSW, and as such receives occasional snow falls in winter despite being only a few hours drive to the NSW QLD border.
The Name Ben Lomond draws its origins from Ben Lomond in Scotland. The Ben Lomond Station was first known by the name of Llangothlin and was settled by Thomas Perry in 1839. Llangothlin was originally over 240,000 acres in size taking in land from Glencoe to Guyra; the run was passed on to Mr Rawson in 1844. In 1854 Charles Codrington who had travelled northward from the Hunter Valley over the Moonbi Ranges claimed the Llangothlin Run which had recently been abandoned by Rawson. In 1861 the Begot Brothers took over and renamed the Run Ben Lomond.

In 1848, the Manooan run of 17,000 acres had the Ben Lomond Range as its southern boundary. In the 1860s there was a station named Ben Lomond which had been robbed by the notorious bushrabger, Captain Thunderbolt, who frequented the region. The slow climb and timber on the Ben Lomond Range proved an ideal place for the robbery of coaches and travellers.
The Dumaresq to Glen Innes section of the Main North Line, which included Ben Lomond, opened on 19 August 1884. The railway station closed on 10 December 1985, followed by the Dumaresq-Glen Innes section on 3 October 1993. At 1,363 metres, Ben Lomond railway station was the highest railway station in New South Wales until the Skitube opened in 1987. Ben Lomond Post Office opened on 4 November 1879 and closed in 1979.

The Ben Lomond railway station is located in the Dumaresq to Glen Innes section of the Main North Line which opened on the 19 August 1884. Ben Lomond station closed in December 1985 whilst the Dumaresq to Glen Innes section remained operational until 1993.
Today Ben Lomond is a vibrant village, with a number of community groups involved in initiatives to maintain and promote the village and the district.

The last SHP for 2014 No 342, Happy New Year to all , see you next year.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 15 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nutta - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 10:39

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 10:39
Happy new year to you too mate!

Thanks for all the good reads!
AnswerID: 543445

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 17:11

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 17:11
Thanks Doug for all the great Sunday reads.

Hope you had a merry Christmas and that the new year brings everything you wish for

Alan
AnswerID: 543462

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 18:45

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 18:45
Thanks again, Doug. Good read!

That New England country, during winter, would be colder than that "freeze your arse off country" where you live now! :-)

Thanks for the SHP's during 2014 and all the best to you for 2015.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 543466

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 21:24

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 21:24
Yes Thanks Bob, Orange can get very cold, especially when I spent many years in the tropics , but I remember a few nights spent at some towns up there in the trucks , Guyra, woke up in the morning to find all the trucks in the park behind the servo ...white with snow . Thanks mate for your comment.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 830413

Reply By: Member - johnat - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 20:47

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 20:47
Actually, as I lived at Llangothlin (pronounced, sort of, "thhlangothhlin" - it's Welsh, 'nuff said?) in my formative years, caught the train from the Llangothlin station to Armidale and return on a daily basis in 1965 for my Leaving Certificate year at school, I can advise that Ben Lomond is NOT the same as Llangothlin. The stations are some miles apart, with BL being further North than Llangothlin.

Further, my Sister and BIL live and work the land in Ben Lomond district. She taught at BL School for a time, and is still active in the district, producing an "occasional" newsletter "Altitude Living" with details of the local area.

Ben Lomond can, as mentioned, be a tad cool. We have had a NYE party there where all concerned were rugged up with every item of clothing, jacket, rug, drizabone etc we could find just to watch the fireworks provided by my nephew. They were set to shoot out to the East, but best view was to the West - the "breeze" was quite strong!
AnswerID: 543471

Follow Up By: Member -Hilton Hillbillies - Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 12:29

Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 12:29
G'day All,

Doug is correct according to the Guyra council web site:

Guyra Shire Council NSW

Note: sentence 2 paragraph 2.

Ben Lomond
Ben Lomond Village is situated 6 km off the New England Highway between Guyra and Glen Innes. The picturesque village lies at the foot of the Ben Lomond Mountain which peaks at 1520m above sea level. Ben Lomond village has an elevation of 1370m making it the highest village in Northern NSW, and as such receives occasional snow falls in winter despite being only a few hours drive to the NSW QLD border.

The Name Ben Lomond draws its origins from Ben Lomond in Scotland. The Ben Lomond Station was first known by the name of Llangothlin and was settled by Thomas Perry in 1839. Llangothlin was originally over 240,000 acres in size taking in land from Glencoe to Guyra; the run was passed on to Mr Rawson in 1844. In 1854 Charles Codrington who had travelled northward from the Hunter Valley over the Moonbi Ranges claimed the Llangothlin Run which had recently been abandoned by Rawson. In 1861 the Begot Brothers took over and renamed the Run Ben Lomond.
Ben Lomond is home to a number of tourist attractions; including farm-stays, trout fishing and the longest hand cut railway cutting in Australia. The Ben Lomond railway station is located in the Dumaresq to Glen Innes section of the Main North Line which opened on the 19 August 1884. Ben Lomond station closed in December 1985 whilst the Dumaresq to Glen Innes section remained operational until 1993. With an elevation of 1363m Ben Lomond Station was the highest operational railway station in NSW.
Today Ben Lomond is a vibrant village, with a number of community groups involved in initiatives to maintain and promote the village and the district.

Regards
Steve
Steve

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 830435

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 20:54

Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 20:54
Steve,
Ah Ha!!

I see the confusion - I was talking about the railway stations but "The Llangothlin Station" would be the original landholding - as in a pastoral "station". And it WAS later renamed as "Ben Lomond Station".

Seems we (Doug and I) are both correct!

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 830451

Follow Up By: Member -Hilton Hillbillies - Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 22:05

Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 22:05
Hi John,
It is a good day when everyone can be right??.
Happy exploring Oz.
Regards
Steve

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 830454

Follow Up By: Member -Hilton Hillbillies - Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 22:09

Monday, Dec 29, 2014 at 22:09
Sorry John
The 2 ? Was supposed to be a smiley face.
No offence ment.
Regards
Steve

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 830455

Sponsored Links