Proposed Closure of State Forests to 4WD

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 14:27
ThreadID: 11057 Views:2139 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Attention all members - particularly those in VIC

The following extract came from another forum, and was a length issue at ourlocal 4wd club - even with some heated discussion amongst members

++++++++++++ start extract +++++++++++++++

I was told at our 4wd club meeting last night that they are trialing a new management Structure for forests within victoria, initially in wombat state forest and that they are not looking supportive of 4WD users in the parks.

I have not yet read all the documentation so not up to date.

When I am I will provide more detail.

I would advise everyone to look at this webpage it details whats going onwww.wombatforest.org and see for yourself .

Some of the club members attended a meeting few weeks ago. No one except greenies where invited & they tried to pass the manifesto listed on the webpage.

Fortunrely they failed due ONLY to few legal glitches. Had it been passed they would have had complete control of the park in every form.

+++++++++ end extract ++++++++++++++++

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

1. BE at the next meeting of the Wombat Forest Community Forest Management
2. Organise other members of your club to be there
3. Communicate with the 4WD Association and demand an effective plan of action
(sorry to any association reps - seems some action & communication is req)

DONT LET THE GREENIES DENY US ACCESS TO PUBLIC PROPERTY.

Its over to you for you part to keep our activities safe from extremists who wish to take away our rights.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 14:42

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 14:42
Looks like if they can't stop us buying 4bys they will give us no where to drive them.
AnswerID: 49372

Reply By: sean - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 17:38

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 17:38
THis week Kakadu National Park announced its intention to Ban ALL swimming in Kakadu. They said that it was was the wish of the traditional owners. The traditional owners are really just saying that they dont want anyone to be taken by a croc. Its a crocadile mismanagement issue.

The rangers at Kakadu dont welcome the public, charge them dearly for the priveledge to visit, and have never been able to effectively coordinate with the tourist groups.

At any rate, at this stage less than 1% of Kakadu is open to the public for swimming. If swimming is banned totally, then it will be effectively be closed for camping.

Sean
AnswerID: 49386

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 18:34

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 18:34
I thought the crocs would have b een the traditional owners and would want to encourage swimming there
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 311258

Reply By: sean - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 18:01

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 18:01
I had a look at the Wombat stage forest site. The Manifesto is biased. Why does is make continual reference to the ALP when this should acturally read the government.

Only way to to vote for change at the Ballot Box.

Sean
AnswerID: 49391

Follow Up By: goingplatinumcomau - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 00:56

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 00:56
I Agree

It is about time every fisherman caravan owner 4 wd owner united and made there voteing preference Known to the Goverment.

People seem to forget we are the ones who put them in Power

United we stand dived we Fall.

Other wise we will all end up with bumper stickers like in America

Don't vote it Encourages Them.

Ok so who gets the vote .............. Easy who ever supports us :)
FollowupID: 311228

Follow Up By: prado_95 - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 20:14

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 20:14
While reminding the pollies about who voted them in causes them to raise their eyebrow (perhaps), it has little more impact becuase they are
ALREADY ELECTED. Anything you do or say now will not get them 'un-elected'.

Waiting for the next election will see the ultra green element achieve their primary goal BEFORE the next election, when they will use that to further their cause (at further expense of other legitimate users of the forest).

As most here a (politically) passivists, we need to learn from mistakes & effective tactics used by those wishing to shut all of us out of the public forests. That means get onto the pollies backs, through your 4wd association club (not a member - join an association recognised club tomorrow), letters to the local member (both opposition & currently in power).

The 'other' side are not aiting forthe election, they are digging the trenches now, loading the pollies, and telling the community how fortunate they are to have them come and protect the forests - all at everybody elses expense (yes they will get PAID to do that).

Wombat is just the thin edge of the wedge that is being driven between us and the forest/parks/reserves we use for recreation.

They have already voted an elected representitive of the forest user out because that person did not support their views, and closed existing vacant seats (so as to deny an 'outsider' the possiblity of being elected).

They are organised, and as users of the forest we are still just opening a lazy eye, not realising what the day has in store for us.

FollowupID: 311272

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 09:25

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 09:25
There is only one hope to maintain our access to these areas,that is as a united front (numbers = votes).
Everyone who is a recreational 4wd driver must be a member of a club associated with 4wd Victoria(the association of 4wd clubs).
Even if you travel independently,or with a group of friends,you can take out association membership.
4wd victoria is the only recognised body that deals directly with the goverment departments on your behalf,unity is strength.
Membership of most Victorian clubs gives you automatic association membership,but if you wish to join as an independant contact the office of 4wd Victoria.
The greenies have hundreds of thousands of armchair supporters and goverment assistance,we have a long way to go if we wish to match this,every new and existing 4wd owner needs to support our representative body if we are to have any hope of maintaining our voice.
Myself? I have been an association member through club membership for twenty years,where we would be now without the past efforts of the association I shudder to think.
Regards
AnswerID: 49425

Follow Up By: Matt14 - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:52

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:52
What we all need to wake up to is that the greenies have political power because they are politically active.
How many 4wd members are members of a political party and are actively involved in the development of policy that decides our future.
Unfortunately the world is divided into two types those who get in and do and those who sit back and whinge.
If you dont like what the labour party is doing join up and have a voice. Join the greens and have a voice but dont sit back and blame politicians who are only implementing the policies formulated by their parties grass roots.

FollowupID: 311426

Sponsored Links