EvaKool BCD45 stopped working 2 months out of warranty. What next?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 12:45
ThreadID: 110593 Views:6383 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
My 2+ year old Eva Kool BCD 45 has just stopped working.

I can hear the fan going, but the fridge is holding at ambient temperature. Not sure if the compressor is or is not running. No fault lights flashing. Hasn't been in dusty conditions. Not spilled any water on it as far as I know. Not excessively hot here recently but the fridge does live in the back of the car when not in use. Overall has probably run for about 12 weeks in the two years since purchase.

Up until now the fridge has been good. Once or twice in the last two years it got confused and stopped cooling, but always came back to life after pulling out the power, counting to ten then reconnecting. That trick is not working this time.

Any ideas on the best thing to do next? As in title, the fridge is two months out of warranty, what chance is there that EvaKool will pitch in? Or should I just take the back off and start trying to find something broken to replace, and what might that be?

Thanks for reading, any suggestions appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:00

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:00
Hi Paul,I would check with Evacool,my 95 ltr Fridge mate has 5 year warranty ,when I have had a broken lid strap ,I rang them and they sent two complete sets ,no questions asked ,worth a try .
AnswerID: 543604

Follow Up By: Paul T5 - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:45

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:45
Thanks, glad to hear you had a good service experience. EvaKool did do me a solid a while ago when the lid warped in hot weather. Sent me a new one no questions asked.
I'll give them a call on Monday and hope for the best.
FollowupID: 830603

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:23

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:23
Paul, ring them first. If it's only two months out, they may well consider your issue. Once you remove the back of it..forget it. You've voided any chance you had.

Don't delay.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 543608

Follow Up By: Paul T5 - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:46

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:46
Thanks for your opinion. I'll call first and keep the multimeter in the tool box for now.
FollowupID: 830604

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:38

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:38
Hi again Paul ,just another thought , I had something similar with mine in another vehicle, and when I rang Evacool they asked me to take the cover off and check the voltage at the terminals ,what I found was the voltage was ok until the compressor tried to kick in and the voltage dropped to 9.8V .Problem was not with Fridge but with the wiring not heavy enough from the battery ,coupled with the battery on its last legs ,allowed too much voltage drop .it was ok when the battery was new ,and wiring was same ,but the under rated wiring was the problem ,put in 6 B&S wire ,same battery and it was still working when I sold vehicle 12 months later .
AnswerID: 543609

Follow Up By: Paul T5 - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:52

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 13:52
Thanks again. I'll call first and follow any advice EvaKool have.

We replaced the auxiliary battery (which had a damaged terminal so did need replacing), but that has not fixed the issue. Also we have tried to run the fridge indoors off the mains adaptor and getting the same problems. Based on that troubleshooting I don't think it is the internal wiring in the car.

Got my fingers crossed for some advice from the manufacturer. They are not back in for business as usual until Jan 5th. Everyone deserves a holiday!!

FollowupID: 830605

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 14:13

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 14:13
I had a similar issue with mine years back. It turned out to be the internal fuse. It wasn't blown but had a high resistance across the fuse and was causing a voltage drop.

Because my circuit is fuse protected I bypassed the internal fuse and it's been working perfectly for the last 12 years.
AnswerID: 543614

Follow Up By: Paul T5 - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 15:20

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 15:20
Thanks, I had read on another forum somewhere that a fuse could be the problem and was able to be worked around.
I'll keep that in mind when/if I do get round to opening it up.

Re-assuring to hear that your unit has run for so long. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
FollowupID: 830609

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 15:29

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 15:29
dont forget its still under statuary warranty, id simply take it back as im sure they would agree thier product should last longer than 2 years and 2 months
AnswerID: 543617

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 15:32

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 15:32
this explains it quite well

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-07/broken-but-out-of-warranty-you-still-have-rights/2749924
FollowupID: 830612

Follow Up By: Paul T5 - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 16:26

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 16:26
I agree and it has been interesting to hear from other comments how long a fridge should last. I know I think a fridge should last longer than two years, and I agree that EvaKool should really think that as well.

I was also interested to hear that one of the larger models has a five year warranty. Based on all of that I would expect a positive response from EvaKool. That is really what I would prefer, mostly because it would be a happy ending, but also because I have no idea how long going through ACCC complaints would take to deliver a result. I really want my fridge to work again in time for the Australia Day long weekend.

Thanks for the link.
FollowupID: 830618

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 17:28

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 17:28
Although they are / claim to be a fridge 'manufacturer', that particular model could be a Chinese 'global' product that simply gets badged for a host of resellers - BCD45 comes up in searches under other ID's - that may explain their shorter warranty, but come what may, you have consumer rights !
FollowupID: 830621

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 20:06

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 20:06
actually the warranty is under the compressor
evakool fridges with danfoss compressors get the 5 year warranty
so I assume yours doesnt have this

also dunno if you picked it up but statuary warranty is between you and where you bought it NOT the manafacturer

I usually always return goods to the place of purchase - i had one mob try and get me to send a NAV to garmin and I told them i bought it from here im returning it here ended up no issues and was returned repaired soon after
FollowupID: 830629

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 20:09

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 20:09
also where you bought it from may have a bit more clout than you
- if hes recieving fridges back after 26 months and people waving thier statuary rights at him and Evakool isnt coming to the party
---- hes going to stop stocking them pretty quick smart
FollowupID: 830630

Follow Up By: Paul T5 - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 22:48

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 22:48
I'm following up with both the seller and the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure I can try both under current law.
I bought the fridge from a franchisee at the Brisbane 4WD show a couple of years ago. They are being a bit evasive at the moment, if they don't buck up and I get no luck from EvaKool I'll definitely be talking to the ACCC.
FollowupID: 830637

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 23:29

Friday, Jan 02, 2015 at 23:29
From what you say( fridge has run for about12 weeks in two years) it indicates to me that you are leaving the fridge switched off for long periods in between use.This is probably the worst thing you can do with any fridge as it can cause a blockage in the cooling unit which means the fridge will run under power but not cool.If your fridge is replaced or fixed I would strongly recommend turning on the fridge at regular intervals between your trips.
AnswerID: 543636

Follow Up By: Paul T5 - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 21:28

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 21:28
Thanks for the tip, there is certainly no guidance of that nature included in the information that came with the unit.
FollowupID: 832000

Reply By: Paul T5 - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 21:41

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 21:41
So the latest on my fridge is that EvaKool have refused point blank to do anything about this issue without charging me. They have made a string of excuses about the fridge being cheaper than others, made overseas, not as reliable as more expensive ones, how could I expect it to last etc etc. Basically they are not prepared to back up this product. They should not be putting it on the market without making that very clear.

We dropped it off in Caloundra, they looked at it, but never called me back. When I called them they said that there was a leak in one of the pipes that was not able to be replaced due to the design on the unit.

The proposal they have made involves putting new components in the fridge (cooling plates and tubes) which make the compartment smaller so I can't use the basket.

We're taking the matter up with the ACCC and I'll let you know what happens next.

For anyone planning to buy a similar item from EvaKool, expect to get treated like a cheapskate and be told that you bought rubbish and shouldn't expect it to work. That's exactly how EvaKool have treated me, they had a perfect opportunity to stand by their product, but instead want to disown it and expect me to just suck it up. Whether or not EvaKool sell more expensive products, this one cost plenty and it should be of a reasonable quality.
AnswerID: 544700

Sponsored Links