new suspension! icon-ome-efs- HELP

Hey guys been trying to do some research on suspension, im going a 2" lift and have been told alot of off the shelf cheap suspension like ironman will fail in remote aus! So i have also been told ICON suspension is unbelieveable good, just wondering if anybody has had experience with them also? I will be either going for ICON $2600, OME $2000 or EFS $2000
cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 18:23

Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 18:23
Matth

I would have thought Ironman, OME and EFS would be good quality kit.

Most of the time its the driver causing the damage by pushing to hard over tough terrain and inexperience in the bush .

Even stock standard suspension in good nick would last most trips around Oz

Cheers
AnswerID: 543738

Reply By: Member - Tony F8 - Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 18:45

Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 18:45
Have you looked at Dobinsons, I would certainly put it at the top of the list.
AnswerID: 543742

Reply By: 671 - Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 21:12

Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 21:12
I have been looking at 4wd forums for ten years and have seen good and bad comments on all of them. The same applies to tyres and just about everything else. I can't recommend anything because I have never used them. I have been touring the Outback since 1967 on all types of roads including some seriously remote tracks and have never used a modified suspension. Just make sure you really do need to change yours and don't take any notice of the magazines.

The main thing to keep in mind is don't overload the car and don't drive like a bat out of hell. Modified suspension can easily lull you into a false sense of security. Plenty of people have thought their car was indestructible with one only to break their chassis, axle housing, spring hangers, wheel bearings and wheel studs while their suspension still looked brand new.
AnswerID: 543751

Reply By: matth j - Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 22:03

Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 22:03
Cheers boys! Yeah definetely need a lift kit, im bottoming out constantly and with a gas tank under the back i dont like it very much lol. Yes i have heard dobinsons are awesome but the ICON suspension is said to be 1 better from them and bilsteins and work out 100 dollars more then bilsteins. I want to get it done right the first time and i think the ICON sounds good as it has long travel springs and fully rebuildable shocks!
Anybody with experience please let me know. Thanks
AnswerID: 543755

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, Jan 25, 2015 at 10:42

Sunday, Jan 25, 2015 at 10:42
Hi Matt,

I was in the same predicament as you a year ago and I did A LOT of research on new suspension systems for my 100 series LC. I ended up going for the Ridepro suspension system (ROX shocks) and I haven't looked back. They are about the same price as ironman and come with a 2 year 40,000km warranty. I have done a trip across Oz and back mostly offroad and been to some hairy spots with a fully laden down vehicle and it's like riding on a cloud. Obviously I have only had them for a year and a bit so I can only say what I know so far but I am VERY happy with them. I had quite a bit of help from folks over on the LCOOL forum who were running them as well. They are not a heavily advertised brand so when they were recommended I was a little bit skeptical but the guys at Ridepro are the original OME team so there is a fair bit of expertise behind them. Do a bit of research and you'll find that most, if not all the feedback on them is positive. I highly recommend. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 832210

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 23:31

Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 23:31
G'day, never heard of Icon suspension. Before anyone can make any recommendation for suspension there are alot of things that need to known. What are looking to fit it too? What weight are you carrying? Are you towing? What is the intended use? Etc, etc. Cheers.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 543759

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 10:14

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 10:14
math j
I have an ironman 2" kit fitted to my vehicle in 2010, since done the CSR,GCR and numerous work and leisure trips through the north west and Kimberly's.
Never had an issues with exception of gas shocks, but natural wear and tear is the norm for weight I carry.
Cost and quality has never been an issue with their gear and have never regretted using it.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 543852

Reply By: scottsa - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 22:20

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 22:20
I have just recently had Icon suspension put into out 200 series Landcruiser. It is excellent. I have always used OME in the past, and while it did the job well and lasted a good amount of time, it did make the ride harder. The Icon firms up the ride and stops the car from diving under brakes, but is not harder at all. The rebound of the shocks was spot on when I took it off road recently through local sand hills.
I would recommend the Icon suspension on recent experience. I have not yet had them long enough to comment on negativity.
Auto Craft in Geelong installed ours, great people to deal with.
Scott
AnswerID: 543895

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 19:53

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 19:53
Possibly the real question you should be asking Matt. Is Icon $600 better than the other 2. I'd say yes they definitely are.
While I personally run Bilstein's I do travel with several people using Icon. Their base shocks perform extremely well & the high end bypass model's are absolutely brilliant. As with any quality shock they are best appreciated by people that push hard or are looking for reliability & long service life. The WA mines are expecting twice the life span out of the Icon compared to previous after market suspension.
Cheers Craig
AnswerID: 543942

Sponsored Links