100 series Aircon

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 01:39
ThreadID: 11065 Views:1832 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Currently having a great adventure up in the East Kimberley region of WA. My uncle up here has a 100 Series and has had lots of problems with the Aircon. The compressor was replaced and some other stuff has been done to it but after $2000 spent on it it's not working at all now. They've just had another quote of $500 to fix it. Has anyone else had problems with the aircon systems on 100series's? Thanks...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 02:41

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 02:41
don't quote me but I believe it has been an issue with a lot of 100's in the North of WA.
I shall try & find out from a few mates what the trouble was
AnswerID: 49422

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 12:56

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 12:56
Make sure the small filter which is located on the drivers side, under the condensor, directly above the main chassis strut, is clean. It should be cleaned or replaced annually. It is a "B" to get to. Mine requires the condensor, radiator, intercooler and fan to all be moved to get to it. It is located in a round tube attached to the bottom right (drivers side) of the condensor. I have a 1998 100 series. I beleive later models have easier access than I do.
AnswerID: 49433

Reply By: Member - Ken - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 13:04

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 13:04
Good morning Poida

This is a aircon experience I had recently with my 1997 (last of 75 series) Troopy.

I am not sure whether it is the same design ircon as a 100 series, however what I am going to tell you is still relevant and may be of help.

The aircon in the Troopy just became in effective, didn't seem to get cold at all, so I thought - 6yrs old etc etc maybe needs a new dryer and re gas. Plenty of $ to be spent.

Took it to a Auto Elec that I have used for years on the domestic vehicles for electrics and aircon and this is what happened.

He rings me shortly after I get to work and tells me there is nothing wrong with the system at all other than the 'something or other box' under the dash that houses the condensor, thermostat and drain outlet is full of dust, and other unmentionable excreta to the extent that it is affecting the thermostat and cooling function.

SOLUTION: Gave it a 'blow ', cleanout, and it now works like new(fantastic).

COST: $70.00

Now I could have been told that the compressor , dryer, TX valve and all sorts of other thing-a-majigs costing $xxxxxxxxx were cactus and I would never have known the difference, just paid out big time.

Food for thought.

Ken Robinson

AnswerID: 49434

Reply By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 13:28

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 13:28
Hi,
Yes I am also wondering if there may be an issue with the 100 series aircons. Our last vehicle had to have the lot replaced, compressor condensor and whatever. Only good thing was it was it happened the week before the 3 year warrenty ran out !
We sold that one and now have a different 100 series, and I only commented yesterday that it simply isn't cold anymore, just cool. Will have to wait till road opens and we go to town to get it checked for gas etc but am not impressed for a fairly new vehicle.
How long ago did he spend the $2000 ? I'd be going back to the chap that did that work, it's far to much to spend recently to have it now not go at all.
cheers, Anne
AnswerID: 49437

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 17:13

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 17:13
goodday anne and others
1 thing with the newer cars against oler models the new ones use the "good" gas that doesnt damage the ozone as my brother in law explained to me (he did a car regassing course as part of his mechanics learnig )but it also doesnt get as cold as the older refrigerants i notice the difference between the old gq and a 2003 model gu the old 1 beat the gu hands down

steve
AnswerID: 49449

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:21

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:21
Don't know about the refrigerant thing there Steve.... my '95 GQ is on R134a and gets quite cold... my Mitsubishi work van, also on R134a, is twelve months old and it gets real cold as well. R134a almost replicates the old refrigerant R12 in pressures/temperatures etc... so there shouldn't be a noticeable difference. Personally, I don't like to use R134a (I am a refrigeration technician) and prefer other refrigerants, but this has to do with other issues and not it's efficiency. Most (all?)refrigerators are charged with R134a these days as well.
Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 311289

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:29

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:29
Everyone.......
Although I don't (won't) work on auto air these days... one thing I can tell you all is that the most common reason for a refrigerant leak on an auto air system is the shaft seal on the compressor "drying" out. This happens due to lack of use. Golden Rule...... run the air con for a minimum of 10-15 minutes every day.... (I never turn mine off!! if it gets too cold, I turn the temp setting up!) this keeps the shaft seal lubricated which allows it to do it's job properly!!! I replaced the compressor in our last car, an old Tarago, used the "wrong" O-rings in all the connections but left the cooling on and had an air conditioned car for 5 years till we sold it! It never missed a beat! Must keep that oil moving in the system!!
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 49482

Sponsored Links