happy wanderer aerial wiring

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 11:12
ThreadID: 110652 Views:2188 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, read a lot of the post but nothing seems to cover this problem. Have been having issues for a while in tuning in the tv using a happy wanderer aerial. Last week I was in Port Macquarie, right in town, and could only just get 2 or 3 stations, even they were pixalised. Pulled the aerial apart today and using a multimeter discovered that there is signal continuity between the inner and outer core, so it made no difference where the probes were, i.e. one on the inner copper core, one of the outer mesh etc, there was a continual signal. I disconnected the coax from the aerial and the continuity between inner/outer was gone, so you had to touch both probes to either the inner or outer core to get continuity. started testing the aerial and there is a continuity signal across the two connectors. Not really knowing a much about aerials, but I figure this is unusual, but before I pull the thing to bits, can anyone here advise me if that is the correct construction of an aerial? It sort of goes against all other principles of electricial insulation.
grateful for any input.
thanks
Buck.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 11:32

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 11:32
Hi Buck
If it is a T shaped antenna Without a booster throw it away and get something better.
Each time we come to a different town we do a search for the channels when the power is turned off it needs to be tuned each time.
You can get a T shaped Wanderer with a booster attached which is about 50% better.
You often hear story's about not getting signal in towns.
Cheers hope this helps sorry nothing to do how the cable works.
AnswerID: 543917

Follow Up By: Racey - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 11:57

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 11:57
Agree with Reggy. Better still go for something like a Log Periodic antenna and you probably wont need a booster. Jaycar antenna
FollowupID: 831033

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 22:06

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 22:06
I have a ALDI antenna which is a rabbit ear type thing with plastic in between and an internal amplifier.
It was initially good but then died after a GRR trip.
I finally pulled it apart and found one of the soldered contacts to the coax from the amplifier had separated.
So I resoldered it and was able to get all channels at the Sunshine coast with the transmitter 40Km away.

There are lots of these on Ebay for about $39 up, and when working they are good IMHO. The main attraction to me is that they are a compact little thing that folds up into a box about 40CMx40CM x 5CM for under the bed in the camper trailer. They have an inbuilt amplifier with 12v and 240V input.
Although I had a problem I would still recommend the ALDI one if they sell them again. They have a good warranty except when you are stuck in Kununurra.
I have a Jaycar one also but it is a bit of a PITA assembling it every time I want to use it and takes up lots of space.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 543946

Sponsored Links