Water filters

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 13:33
ThreadID: 110675 Views:2424 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,
I am wishing to purchase a water filter system for our van. That is to treat water from CP outside tap through filter and then into the van.
What type and brand/ model do you suggest. My main concern is the minerals etc. that exist in some bore water which is supplied from CP's, that are located away from the main coastal towns.

thank you
Bob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 13:44

Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 13:44
I just use a generic one from my caravan dealer.
Dunno the brand atm....but it is an inline one that is in hose before everything...about 30 bux approx. from memory. Also carry a spare as well.
We also use a Brita jug inside for all consumable water...so really filter twice for drinking, cooking etc.
Has worked for us so far...including pumping up fresh flowing river water as well...using a 12 volt bilge pump and usual hose.

HTH.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544023

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 13:45

Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 13:45
Hi Bob,

We have used an inline filter from B.E.S.T. for years now. It fits the blue drinking water quality hose (or in our case a flat out drinking hose) and has fittings either end so you can leave it attached if you wish. They cost about $110. online and I usually order a couple when I am buying so we can carry a spare. Change when recommended.
We use it when filling the water tanks and also sometimes in van parks depending on the water quality there. It removes any taste the water may have as well as other nasties.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544024

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 14:02

Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 14:02
+1 for B.E.S.T.
We use it the same way Heather does.

Water passes over silver first as a bug killer, then through activated charcoal for taste, then a 1 micron filter, then charcoal again and finally silver again. Filter is reversible and good for 5000 litres.

It needs pressure behind it to push the water through - you cannot suck through it. We have an automatic pump-in-a-box to draw clean river water from a barrel or jerry, push it through the filter and into the van.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 831138

Follow Up By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 18:50

Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 18:50
+ 2 for B.E.S.TG great filter and flushable
FollowupID: 831156

Reply By: Sidetracked - Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 14:28

Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 14:28
I use a standard twin filter system from Reece(just fitted hose connections both ends)
it has a charcoal & 5 Micron. I have compared it with BEST running dirty water through both the reece filter system left the BEST filter for dead
AnswerID: 544028

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 16:42

Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 16:42
We had similar and it worked fine

The replacement filters were only about $15 each as well

The whole unit cost about $110 with 2 spare filters from a place in Geraldton
FollowupID: 831150

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 17:13

Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 17:13
We have the twin filter system and a B.E.S.T. inline filter. We use the B.E.S.T. only and use it to fill our water tanks in both our van and camper. Takes up far less room than the twin filter and is lighter and in our humble opinion leaves the twin filter for dead. In our previous van we had fitted filters and would never go that way again. The 'mobile' ones are so much easier and have more diverse uses.

Di
FollowupID: 831152

Follow Up By: Member - 178 - Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 17:19

Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 at 17:19
We filter water into the tank on camper trailer through a inline B.E.S.T. water filter have another one after pump to filter water to tap for drinking. No such thing as bad water. Excellent so I have now fitted a domestic one at home which replaces standard filter but must be a twin system with prefilter. Saw many of these in use by caravan owners on recent trip to WA. and everyone swears by them. Not cheap but good.
FollowupID: 831154

Sponsored Links