Colorado 2.8 engine problem, any others out there?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2015 at 18:47
ThreadID: 110687 Views:15708 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,I have a 2012 2.8 diesel space cab Colorado,currently done 40,000ks.
I have experienced vibrations like running over a very corrugated road, followed by nearly total power loss followed by a very loud hammering in the motor,the engine continues to run at idle, then retains all functions and drives as normal.The last 2 times were climbing a range at Herberton not too steep, but did it on 2 successive days,that was a couple of months ago.It had happened on several other occasions on the flat and down hill.
I cannot make it happen to demonstrate to dealers.
Contacted Holden Melbourne who denied any other reports of the problem,does not show up by engine warning light or computer readout.
Just had a friend ring me complaining of the same problem,but with a cloud of black smoke, power steering and power brake failure,due to engine rev.loss.
I did not look behind in my instances to check smoke, as I have a full alloy canopy and was intent on getting off the road for traffic following.
The problem can occur months apart and for no apparent reason, as return to normal operations within seconds.
I suspect the computer is sending a false message to the fuel supply and it is pouring in fuel which is causing a hydraulic function in the motor,hence the terrible rattle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jan 11, 2015 at 19:26

Sunday, Jan 11, 2015 at 19:26
I would be checking the integrity of and fixing/bolts of the Crank Angle Sensor.

Seeing no code has come up it may be the CAS causing the injection to be prior or retarded than normal or both at some time.
Because the ECU still sees signals from the CAS it thinks all is well but it may be way off TDC ( Top Dead Centre) and the ECU will not detect that as it relies on the CAS being fixed in the correct position. The ECU will think all is normal whenever the CAS sends it position info.

Possibly the "techs" with the scan tool/s have not physically looked for any anomaly and because it seems ok at the time they see no problem has been recorded. Techs just read digital equipment and may not do any old reliable analysis.

If the CAS is securely fitted, some on modern engines aren't, you can pour cold water on it, if and when the fault is happening. That will cool the CAS and make the HALL EFFECT sensor work correctly for a short time until it warms up and happens again.
I presume it doesn't do it when cold and only does it after running and the CAS has got hotter.
Some folk have fitted a hose from the open window, under the bonnet and used a cold water squeeze bottle to apply cold water to the CAS while driving, and if it gets better after the sudden cold shower then you have solved the problem the techs cannot do.

Worth a try!
AnswerID: 544091

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:38

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:38
Techs should be able to determine if it is an injector via testing.

Perhaps add some mineral 2 stroke oil to the tank around 250-300ml per tank and see if it improves.

Baileys sell replacement/rebuilt injectors and give better warranty with those than Toyota do with new ones.
FollowupID: 831205

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Sunday, Jan 11, 2015 at 23:12

Sunday, Jan 11, 2015 at 23:12
G'day Des,

Had similar happen in a work Hilux...on invertigation it was a stuffed injector.

AnswerID: 544098

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 08:46

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 08:46
Des
I am thinking because it a common rail it may be faulty injector as well , Be careful of the death rattle , my old Hilux had a similar problem.
Hope You sort it out.

Cheers
AnswerID: 544103

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 13:37

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 13:37
Des - I'm in agreement with previous posters. Almost certainly a faulty injector.
It could also be a build-up of carbon chunks breaking free from the combustion chamber and getting caught up in the valve seat/s.
Had this happen on Caterpillars and the noise and hammering sounds are frightening.
Add in faulty combustion because the valve is jammed open, along with the loose valve train hammering, and you think the engine is going to blow up.
A dose of injector cleaner might assist. But I'd expect an injector test could be the order of the day.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 544121

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 13:46

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 13:46
I might add, searching for a physical fault first, is the order of the day, rather than imagining it's an ECU temporary glitch.
ECU's are generally trouble-free when operating, they usually pack up by failing completely when hot - then they start to work again when cold.
It would be unusual for an ECU to have a temporary "fit" in fuel pump/injector control, and then recover within seconds.
If this source is still the primary suspect, look for ECU harness connections that are loose or corroded, which would allow this to happen.
Bayonet plug connectors that are not properly protected from dirt dust and moisture - and which do not have secure, positive locking tabs on the plug, would be high on the suspect list.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 831210

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 09:25

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 09:25
A common problem with the 2.8 colorado so it seems , but , when it happened to our horse trainers vehicle , we thought it was the fuel filters , then we thought it was the injectors , nope , neither of those problems that the vehicle is known to experience , turns out the problem is collapsed / leaking TURBO hose….
AnswerID: 544163

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 14:33

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 14:33
Good info, Alloy c/t - As I said, check the simple physical faults first.

Used to have occasional problems with the brake boost totally failing on HQ-WB Holdens.
The problem was the inner lining of the manifold suction hose peeling away and blocking the hose, thus reducing vacuum assist to nil!

Roared up over a dam bank one day in my HZ Holden ute and went to brake, and suddenly found I had a hard pedal with limited braking effect! Talk about get the adrenalin going! Thought I was going to sink the ute in the dam for a few seconds! [:-0

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 831284

Sponsored Links