Comment: Donkey Orchid - help identify please

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 16:39
ThreadID: 110700 Views:1797 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Can any of our orchid gurus identify this donkey orchid please?
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:03

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:03
John and Val,

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but going by the geography and the time the photo was taken, I would hazard a guess at Diuris "south coast", the South Coast Donkey Orchid.

I can't see any other species that match up with the geography or timing.

But then again I could be completely wrong.

Regards

Barry H

AnswerID: 544131

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:20

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:20
Thanks Barry, can you give me a species name?
Cheers,
Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831227

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:25

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:25
Val,

According to my book (Field Guide to the Orchids of Western Australia) it is listed as Diuris, the sp is "south coast".

Regards

Barry H
FollowupID: 831229

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:30

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:30
Thanks Barry, yes there are plenty of plants in that category.
Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831231

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:14

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:14
Hi guys,

Certainly no guru, just fascinated by the huge variety found in the orchid group.

My guess would be D setacea. It looks very much like the common ones found around home here in the hills east of Perth.
The other possibility for me would be D laxiflora also common around here.

May I ask where the photo was taken?

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 544135

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:23

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:23
Hi Pop,
Its not my photo but according to the post the photo was taken in the Stirling Ranges NP at the end of September. The "popped out" photo shows the date the photo was taken, the thumbnail photo shows the date it was posted on the site.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831228

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 18:10

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 18:10
Hi Val,

Yeah, maybe I should give my glasses a clean before posting. (insert embarresment icon)

Just had a better look through my copy of "Orchids of South-West Australia".
I would go with D. setacea common name "Bristly Donkey Orchid". Flowering period, September - November. Apparently the "Bristly" refers to the bristly appearance of the leaves.
Supposedly occurring in the SW of WA west of a line drawn from Geraldton in the north to around Israelite Bay east of Esperance so covering a pretty wide range of habitats, climatic conditions and soil types, all of which can affect the colouring and appearance to some degree.

Oh, most of that info is from the aforementioned book, not my memory banks....(;=)).

Cheers
Pop

FollowupID: 831234

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 01:31

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 01:31
Hi Val

I am a member of a Facebook Western Australian Orchid site, run by an enthusiast from the Stirling Ranges https://www.facebook.com/groups/517329235050125/. I am only new to Facebook, and this is a "closed group". You may get help from the site if you join, but it is more about admiring our finds than an identification source. However the regulars are very knowledgeable.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831265

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 08:04

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 08:04
Thanks Motherhen, I had not seen that particular group - there are more FB groups than you can poke the proverbial stick at!
Cheers,
Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831266

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:02

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:02
There certainly are Val. I joined the orchid one first, then one on WA wildflowers run by one of the people on the orchid site, although I have not really participated there. Others I have looked at only briefly, but FB is set up to sidetrack us all to easily and waste too much time.

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831272

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 03:14

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 03:14
Hi Val.Sorry for the late reply , havent been on the site for a while. What date was the photo taken as i cant see the date when looking at the pic. Id say its not the bristly which is a very easy to identify from its spiral leaves. How high was the plant and what habitat was it growing in. Were there other plants and did any have more than one flower.
cheers graeme.
AnswerID: 545050

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 08:46

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 08:46
Hi Graeme,
The orchid in question was not posted by me so the only info about the plant is what is posted. However if you "pop out" or enlarge the photo the date shown is the date when the photo was taken - in this case 28/09/2014. (The date shown on the thumbnails is the date when the photo was posted onto the site). Sorry cant help more, but interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832548

Sponsored Links