rim offsets

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:46
ThreadID: 110714 Views:2067 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a +25 offset on the hilux which I think is std for a 2011 model with 17" rims. I wish to put the same wheels on my trailer as well as the ute but they will have to be +10 offset for the trailer to fit. Firstly. do they fit over the caliphers on the sr5 ute, and if so, can any body tell me whether that will make my track wider. If it makes the track wider what is the legality or how much wider is to keep it still legal - garry r
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 13:47

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 13:47
Garry - You seem a little confused over rim offset. There is positive offset, where the centreline of the rim is a distance out from the hub face, there is zero offset where the centreline of the rim is exactly in line with the hub face, and there is negative offset, which is where the centreline of the rim is inside the hub face.

Positive offset is indicated by a "plus" sign, zero offset is indicated by "0", negative offset is indicated by a "minus" sign (this forum programming won't allow me to write the actual plus or minus signs, unless they are followed by a number).

You are indicating a reduction in offset by going from +25 to +10. This will narrow your track by a total of 30mm.

The State you are located in is highly relevant, to know what the local rego laws are regarding track width alterations with the use of aftermarket rims.
As a guide, I seem to recall that 25mm wider track over standard is the maximum allowed in W.A. - I can't say what it is for the other States, because there may be local differences. I do not recall any regulations relating to narrowing of track width.

Can't help with precise advice on the SR5 caliper clearance - but this thread on the Newhilux forum might assist you somewhat.
It appears that you may be able to use +10 offset, it's the rim diameter that usually creates the clearance problems.
You will need to register with the forum to be able to read the thread.

Nehilux forum - Hilux caliper clearance

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 544172

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 14:30

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 14:30
Not saying this is the answer, however sometimes it's easier to go with a new axle on the trailer than pfaffing around with different rims.

The other advantage of this is the same offset means the rims & tires are interchangeable - meaning less spares need to be carried ....

Just throwing it out there...
AnswerID: 544175

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 14:32

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 14:32
The above is of course assuming you want both to run in the same tracks.....
FollowupID: 831283

Follow Up By: 489 - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 15:17

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 15:17
thanks for that info. will look at the other forum and yes I was intending to keep all wheels and tyres identical so are interchangeable as well as tracking of axles. Just wasn't sure which way the offsets go which has now been explained. I know I must use 17" rims because of the bigger brakes compared to the sr hilux. thanks once again garry r
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 831287

Reply By: 4wheeler - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 22:37

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 22:37
Hi 489,
Wheel offset always seems to confuse people and I stand to be corrected but I think you will find the following:

Going from a +25mm offset to a +10mm offset will increase the track width of the vehicle. It depends on what is meant by "increase". So you have positive offset, zero offset and negative offset as previously stated by others.

Going from your +25mm to +10mm to Zero to -10mm to -25mm in number value movers the rim further outboard from the centreline of the vehicle. In your case going from +25 to +10 means a track width or widening of 30mm which is illegal in most states, but it depends upon type of axle assembly and other conditions.Check with your local roads authority in your state as most have this information in their technical bulletins.

Many people fit rims to clear suspensions so they can fit taller and wider tyres, many of which are illegal fitments. Not good if your insurance company questions it.

A combination of rim diameter and offset will determine if the brake or other components will foul the rim so be careful.

I had a Land Rover Defender which has a +33 standard offset. I fitted +10 offset rims which brought the wheels out from the centre line of the vehicle and increased the track width by 46mm. This meant the truck got covered in mud and stones and junk fell into the brakes which then caught in the discs. Needless to say on my new Defender I will stick with the standard offset.
AnswerID: 544207

Sponsored Links