Which Hitch

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 08:35
ThreadID: 110749 Views:3268 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we have a Jayco expanda outback 16' with a Toyota Prado 05' tow vehicle. The van currently has the standard alko hitch it came with and we are looking at upgrading to a safer hitch before doing another trip in a few months. Our trip will be on both tar and dirt taking in the Savannah Way. The two we are considering is the 'OzHitch' for ease of use or the 'Alko offroad' so no ball change needed. Any advise would be handy as we have no idea whats best. Also do we need WDH. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 15:16

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 15:16
Hi,I had a 95 Series Prado 3 L diesel ,and towed a 18'6" tandem van and I used the Ezy lift system ,towed great .I had the need to shift my van about 3 kms so I did not fit the WDH and boy did we notice the difference ,the Prado was bobbing up and down ,not a good feeling .
AnswerID: 544321

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 16:51

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 16:51
Most of the hitches on this page would be suitable One of the exceptions may be the Trigg hitch, I was reading on another forum that Jayco had advised that they were not suitable to be used with WDH. For preference select one that is suitable and then you will be able to use WDH when on good road conditions.

Just remember that the Trigg, Treg and similar types can be difficult to hitch and unhitch.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544329

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 18:06

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 18:06
Before going for a wdh, I would contact your local Toyota dealer and tell them your intentions as there have been issues with Prados and wdh(s) - better still, also have a look at the Pradopoint website or simply google Prado wdh and look carefully into it before committing. Sometimes, depending on who you speak to at a dealership, you don't always get the right info but make sure you speak to somebody with expertise on this matter. The Pradopoint website is excellent for owners and the truth of the matter is usually distilled after often, lengthy discussion. Worthwhile.

The Hitchmaster is currently very popular with vanners and I'd go along with Peter's remark that the Tregg is a bit of a fiddle to use, even though you'll hear of people saying they are happy with their Tregg. I have had one and think there are better options.
AnswerID: 544330

Follow Up By: Tuco - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 11:50

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 11:50
I agree with Peter.
Standard ball does not give enough safe angle for many situations. Sharp driveways where the vertical axis of tug and trailer can cause problems. Have seen this for myself just exiting some service stations.
We have used ORAC - good angles available but difficult to align for pin insertion. Very difficult to pull the pin if loaded in an off-road situation where separation was necessary in order to de-bog the tug.
Have also used TREGG - good angles but like ORAC - difficult to connect and disconnect in some off-road situations. Main difference in the two is that ORAC has pin located horizontal while TREGG is vertical. Mechanically very similar.
We run a Hitchmaster DO35 V2 on our Patrol/Jayco 17.55.4 OB combo and are very pleased with off-road capability and ease of connect and disconnect. Would recommend.
FollowupID: 831541

Follow Up By: Tuco - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:05

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:05
Just to add - in reply to OP question - we do NOT run any form of WDH. Careful loading of the van and monitoring the ball weight, and we don't have any concerns. In fact when venturing off-road a WDH would be a PITA in my opinion. Many vehicle manufacturers do NOT recommend using a WDH. If the back of the tug sags too much and the front is pointing to the sky - balance the load in the trailer and get the ballweight down.
FollowupID: 831542

Reply By: Stewy1 - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 18:39

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 18:39
Hi, I have an 07 Prado with a McHitch fitted on my van (no WDH) I travelled 25,000km around oz with it including Savannah Way, GRR, Bungles etc so it's had a good workout. the new ones have an automatic coupling which looks fantastic.
Kedron caravans are now using them and have also tested them which can be seen on their website.
Definately worth a look.
AnswerID: 544332

Follow Up By: SS78 - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 19:05

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 19:05
Hi Stewy 1, what sort of van do you tow.? The McHitchs look good but was thinking of OzHitch because its a bit cheaper and seems very similar (could be wrong though). How did you get your van nice and level with the prado without using load levellers? Ta
FollowupID: 831434

Follow Up By: Stewy1 - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 20:08

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 20:08
I tow a North Coast Camper about 2 tonne loaded. I have a OME 2'' lift on the prado and a Hayman Reese towbar with the tongue turned upwards. The car and van sit very level and the van has 200kg on the towball.
FollowupID: 831443

Follow Up By: jonesy41 - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 14:45

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 14:45
I use a hiyland hitch with a longshank ball. Have been on some very rough roads and have never had a problem ( Hells Gate etc)
FollowupID: 831550

Sponsored Links