Canning Stock Route - CSR Towing Trailer

Could someone give me a categorical answer or refer me to a recent authorative source:-

What – Is there any legal or practical reason stopping me from travelling the Canning Stock Route (S to N) with an off-road trailer ?

Why - I am in Victoria and returning to Perth to pick up my custom designed/engineered twin-axle 4WD off-road trailer and I want to then travel the CSR to return to the Kimberley and up to the Mitchell Plateau.

I have read extracts saying that vehicles towing trailers are not allowed and will be turned back (eg OZ Trek Notes “If traveling with a trailer, you will not be allowed to travel the section of the CSR track north of Wiluna through to Well 5. If you do, you will be turned back at Well 2a” ) but I have also been reading numerous other sources about and viewing photos of vehicles with trailers traversing CSR (including OZ Forums).

So I am utterly confused ....
NeilM_BoabOZ
UHF Channel # 15 - Callsign BoabOZ Mobile 2189
HF Callsign VKS737 Mobile 2189 / Selcall Number 2189 Iridium SatPhone 0405 894 252

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:30

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:30
Neil

You are not allowed to tow a trialer between well 2a and 5. There is no restrictions North of well 5. There are access tracks at well 5 and 9 that allow you to enter or exit the CSR in order to avoid this section. The entrance tracks do go through private stations and a small charge applies as these tracsk are maintained by them.

Although there are no restrictions north of well 5, there are differing views as to whether you should tow or not.

Alan
AnswerID: 544366

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:32

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:32
To tow a trailer on the CSR you will need to enter via Glenayle Station. Many will say that you shouldn't tow on the Canning, but that is your choice. Would I, depends on the weight of the trailer and what I was towing it with. Good luck.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544367

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:34

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:34
oops, forgot about Granite Peak..............
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 831472

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:50

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:50
South to North would be the harder direction to tow a trailer on the CSR. And the look of things your new trailer is quite large, and if loaded could pose a few recoveries, M/T maybe a bit easier.

Trying to reverse back down a dune with a dual axle trailer has its own problems, having a dual axle camper myself for the last 8 years, I did the CSR without it.

Neil the choice is yours, and as stated you cannot start the CSR from the very bottom.
AnswerID: 544372

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 15:30

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 15:30
Neil, do you like shoveling sand? There could be quite a bit of that happening if you tow your rig on the CSR. But that's only if it's dry. If it rains the dunes will be a dodldle but the claypans will be a little greasy to say the least. Oh and are you carrying a spare leaf spring if that applies to your rig?

It's a fantastic trip though and worth the effort. See pix in Places starting with CSR Well 6 then CSR Well 7 then CSR Well 8 etc to see conditions on our 2013 trip with our trailer... Cheers, Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544374

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 16:25

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 16:25
Neil,
Other than the restrictions at the lower end, there is no legal reason why you can't take a camper trailer on the CSR.
I have an offroad camper trailer and I chose not to take it on the Canning. I'm glad I didn't.
Most posts mention sand dunes and the difficulties you may encounter when towing a C/T . The dunes will throw up more than a few challenges and you will also chop up the track during recoveries which is not too considerate for other travellers.
My main concern would be the corrugations, particularly either side of Kunawarritji. These will shake your trailer to bits. On our trip last year, we came across two Jayco Offroad campers, both with knackered shockies. Both couples were giving up and heading into Newman.
I've recently returned from Cape York, having towed the camper trailer from Perth and back and I didn't consider that trip to be as rough as the CSR however, there were still fairly major repairs to do once back in Perth.
Repairs on the CSR can be a bit of an issue as there's no spare parts store on the next corner. Also digging sand in the middle of the day is no fun either.
It's entirely your decision and if you want a bit of an adventure, go for it. Me, I'd rather take the stress free option every time.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544378

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 22:47

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 22:47
Message to Mark
Cannot reply to your query re Cape York. Website won't send. Email me at ralphklem@gmail.com
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831531

Reply By: Mikee5 - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 20:41

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 20:41
As an aside, only singe axle trailers are allowed into Purnululu, as per the Parks WA website.
AnswerID: 544436

Reply By: Life Member - Terry 80FTE - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 22:50

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 22:50
Towing with an auto Isuzu, hmm, what GVM is the trailer?
What is the suspension set up? What's your experience in sand driving?
I'm only thinking of the "practical reasons",
I recall seeing broken trailers on the side of track when I last did it.
Cheers
Justify Your Existence
VKS 737 mobile 2458

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544450

Reply By: tony_j - Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 11:12

Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 11:12
Sounds like the trailer is up to the task - "custom designed/engineered twin-axle 4WD off-road trailer". I travelled the CSR in 2005.

I didn't tow my off-road camper because of all the "too hard/stressful, dig up the track, sand dunes to big" type comments I found on the net.

Well, with hindsight at the end of the trip, I could have quite easily towed the camper. It was not that hard. I know how to reverse a trailer (down a sand dune or otherwise), the trailer was a proper off-road 4wd trailer, I always take my time, my vehicle was up to the task etc.

If you have had some experience in this sort of situation and your gear is up to it, then go for it. You will have a ball. You will use extra fuel of course. Just take your time and enjoy it. Too many people just rush a trip like this and that's when things break.

Oh and, no you can't tow or drive an oversize vehicle (i.e. Oka) from well 2A to well 5 - property owner restriction.
AnswerID: 544466

Sponsored Links