Duel Battery Installation

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 23:02
ThreadID: 11079 Views:4016 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am looking for some information regarding !2 volt duel battery installations.
Currently I have a duel battery system connected to my 80 series Landcruiser that
works quite ok. My problem being that when we are camped for more than
two days in one spot my fridge (85 ltr evercool ) flatterns the aux battery.
Is there a way that I can connect a third battery located in the rear of the cruiser that can be charged from the cruiser seperately to the existing aux battery.
We do have a Christie 12v battery charger that works really well but as a lot of
our camping is in National Parks which most do not allow generators, I am trying
to arrange a way that I can have a seperate bank of batteries for the fridge and a seperate battery for all my auxilleries, that can be charged seperatly from the cruiser while travelling. A friend of mine has the same problem trying to run his fridge more than a couple of days in one spot, he has tried solar panels which work ok but eventually the battery runs down he has also tried a wind generator
but it isn't perfect either for extended stays. His answer has been to give up trying
to keep the beer cold and drink cask wine, doesn't need cooling and stacks better.
I hope someone can understand my problem and supply me with an answer ??
See ya one day
" Cruis'n the Land "
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John- Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 23:59

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 23:59
A couple of 75W solar panels and a solar charge controller should do the trick.

Recommended reading go to Collyn Rivers web site; www.caravanand motorhomelectrics.com

Collyn's books separate the myths and facts.

JohnS
AnswerID: 49473

Reply By: Firey - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:05

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:05
John,
Thanks for your reply I will check out that site you recomended, but I was really wanting to know if I can charge a second Aux Battery from my Cruiser while travelling.
Cheers
Barry -( Firery )
AnswerID: 49475

Reply By: Member - Peter K (NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 06:37

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 06:37
After installing my dual battery I was left with the question of what to do with my portable (thumper). Rather then sell it cheap I know carrying it so I can use it when camped for a few days.
Its effectivness has increased since I was shown that you can recharge it by connecting directly to the battery (jumper leads) and run the engine. It recharges in about 15-20 minutes.
peter
AnswerID: 49480

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:32

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:32
Try hooking your extra battery up to any hot wire that is ignition activated e.g. a cigarette lighter socket, it will then be re-charged off the system when in motion.

You could connect in parallel with the aux battery with the same result but put a switch in the circuit so it can be used to run things independently from the aux. It will still be charged independently from the aux also. The connection wires don'y have to be very big as it will not be part of the starting circuit BUT if hooked up in parallel to aux battery MAKE SURE SWITCH IS OPEN or else it will be when the aux battery is linked to the main battery.

Cheers
AnswerID: 49487

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:17

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:17
Hi
Just wire the two aux batteries in parallel and this will increase the storage that you have available. Mind you 2 days out of the aux is good for an 85 ltr fridge, the second battery will extend that to 4 days. As the Christie charger only takes a couple of hours to recharge, run it during the day when there are very few in camp. I use a solar system (96watts) which extends the time I can stop.
Ray
AnswerID: 49499

Follow Up By: Firey - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 22:06

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 22:06
Hi Ray
Thanks for your reply, I was wondering how you have your solar panels mounted, either permanently or portable (suit case style) if permanently how do you go parking in the sun all the time.
Barry
FollowupID: 311825

Reply By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:56

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:56
Another option, I'm pretty sure you can get one of those fandangled sogenoid things that can manage 3 batteries not just two, but would mean forking out for one and leaving your current two battery sogenoid in the parts bucket. But hey, if you've got more dollars than me!

Cheers.
AnswerID: 49502

Reply By: Firey - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:56

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:56
Thanks to all who replied to my problem it was appreciated sorry I havn't replied earlier been checking out around Beechworth (vic) I'll give your recomendations a go.
see ya one day
"cruis'n the land"
AnswerID: 50005

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 22:46

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 22:46
Hi Firey
Mine are portable. as this allows me to park in the shade and then put the panels in the sun. The Panels travel on the bed in the camper
Ray
AnswerID: 50022

Reply By: Member - Robert (WA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 00:30

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 00:30
i have one of these fitted to my landcruiser to charge the battery in the caravan
check this site out
http://www.giveanaussieago.com.au/cgi-bin/view_page.cgi?g=gaaagb&t=gaaagb&p=3&i=2&s=1&id=traxide

Robert

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 50159

Sponsored Links