RACV Total Care - Tow Pack add on

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 12:45
ThreadID: 110795 Views:4700 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Has anyone had experience with RACV Total Care. I am in a 4WD club called the "Idlers"(Vic) and recently a member had a breakdown while to the Coburg Peninsula(NT)
He did not get the service he needed but on return to Melb. and some further discussion he was reimbursed for some of his cost.

Our renewal has just come for RACV Total Care ($181.90) and as we are travelling the Great Central Road this year I wanted to be sure that we will be covered.

It seems that the RACV have a new add on product if you are towing called "Tow Pack". This product limits the weight and dimensions for your car and tow vehicle.In our case vehicle Navara 5.4m and Van 7.1m = total 12.5m. The max limit this policy allows is 9 meters

The reply from RACV is you are not covered because they have taken the total dimension of both the van and vehicle. It seems to me this would discount a large number of rigs that are currently travelling.

I also enquired about cover on the "Great Central Road" and information I have is that the NT side (AANT) is not covered because a permit is required and therefore it is considered a private road.

I am interested to know if others have had similar discussions or experience with Total Care.

Thanks in advance.
Graeme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 13:38

Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 13:38
Isn,t that going to change the game !! when people decide how an
when an where they go in future
mechpete
AnswerID: 544541

Reply By: Idler Chris - Vic - Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 14:40

Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 14:40
Hi Graeme,
I think you will find that normal Total Care includes a trailer that is not longer than 6.7 metres and that the Tow Pack to which you refer extends the length to 9 metres. This distance is for the trailer only, not the vehicle and trailer.
Chris.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 544545

Follow Up By: Muzza10 - Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 14:55

Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 14:55
Thanks Chris
Yep spot on up to 6.7 meters as standard. However if your caravan is over this length in my case 7.1 meters including draw bar then I will need the tow pack add on.

The email I have from RACV takes both our Caravan and vehicle (12.5m) over the 9.0m limit and as a result they have said will not cover.

I sent another email this morning as there is some confusion on their part, that's why I posted my thread today to see if any other members have a similar experience.

Cheers

FollowupID: 831777

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 16:18

Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 16:18
What its only your trailer that needs recovering what is the allowable length.

We missed out as our van was nearly 10m long overall
FollowupID: 831786

Reply By: Idler Chris - Vic - Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 16:25

Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 16:25
In respect to the other point about a road requiring a permit. In the case of the GCR, (and many others) the permit gives the right to travel through Abroginal Lands and that in itself does not make it a private road. I could be wrong, but I believe permits mainly are to keep records of traffic using the road and to give instructions to travelers as to the conditions that are applicable to using the road. (IE not deavating either side of the road and possibly instructions re camping.) I may also be travelling this road this year so I thought I would clarify the matter with the Central Land Council who issue the permits. Their reply is that in the event of breakdown a rescue vehicle is not required to obtain a permit. (see the emails below, excellent service 3 minutes to give a reply). Should I breakdown on any road that requires a permit and call Total Care and they claim it requires a permit I would be telling them that rescue vehicles do not require permits. I think I will take a copy of these two emails with me and together with their CLC) telephone number 08 8951 6211, if I have a problem with Total Care I will refer them to Debbie Bruce.

Chris Smith
15:27 (33 minutes ago)

to permits
Hi,

If I have a permit to travel the GCR and break down, does it also cover a rescue vehicle while rescuing me. Are the rescue vehicles automatically covered as a rescue could well occur when your offices are closed and/or the driver of a rescue vehicle may not know the permit procedure.

Cheers,

Chris Smith
cfsbike@gmail.com

Debbie Bruce
15:30 (31 minutes ago)

to me, Permits
In an instance like this it would be ok.

Thanks
Debbie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544559

Follow Up By: Muzza10 - Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 16:31

Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 16:31
Tom H
You are right as I understand it if your van is over 9 meters then the RACV will not cover you for Total Care.

However as it stands from the reply I received they take into account both the vehicle and the van.

In our case the total is 12.5 meters long well over the allowance of 9 meters.

I have asked them a further range of questions to which they have not yet replied. When they do I will let you know.

Cheers

Graeme
FollowupID: 831788

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 01:23

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 01:23
The RACV story about the GCR being a "private road" sounds like a regular cop-out to avoid their responsibilities, to me.

However, it does raise a plethora of interesting questions about the precise status of roads through Aboriginal Lands, though.

FYI, the road from Uluru to the W.A. border is called the Tjukaruru Rd and it traverses Aboriginal Lands controlled by the NT Central Land Council, who issue travel permits for it.

The GCR traverses Aboriginal Land (specifically Aboriginal Reserve Numbers 17614, 25050, and 25051) and permits to travel the GCR are issued by the W.A. Aboriginal Affairs Dept.

The CLC website FAQ answers a lot of the questions as to why travel permits are required.

CLC - FAQ's - Travel Permits

Aboriginal Lands are freehold land held by the recognised Aboriginal claimants under the Native Title Act 1993. This land cannot be sold or transferred to others.

The laws associated with roads are covered in W.A. by the Crown Land Practice Manual - and specifically, Chapter 5.
A "private road" is recognised under W.A. laws, but is given no special or exclusive or restrictive rights, as compared to "declared" or "gazetted" roads.

In W.A., all public roads have a defined "road reserve", which can vary between the original 1 chain measurement (20M) to 10 chains (220M).
Very old road reserves are 1 chain wide, roads from about the early 1900's are 2 chains wide (40M), and some roads in relatively recently-developed areas, such as the SE Wheatbelt of W.A. are sometimes 10 chains wide (220M).

The Great Central Road would almost certainly have a defined road reserve, put in place long before Native Title was recognised.
The GCR has had unfettered public access for a period of more than 10 yrs, which classes it as a "thoroughfare" (publically-accessible road) under Common Law.

The Native Title Act has little effect of roads, as the over-riding Act in W.A., related to roads, is the Main Roads Act, 1930.
The fact that the owner of a private road that is accessible to the public (even though the freehold owner issues permits for the use of that road), does not affect the fact that the GCR is a public road under Common Law - and the RACV has very weak grounds in refusing to service vehicles using that road.

W.A. Crown Lands Practice Manual

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 544602

Follow Up By: Muzza10 - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 01:51

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 01:51
Thanks Ron very comprehensive.

I am waiting on a reply from RACV re a number of questions I put to them.

Stay tuned

Thanks for all your input

Cheers

Graeme
FollowupID: 831850

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:52

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:52
Yep I will be staying tuned .

I have used TC a couple of times over the years and found it to be very good but I was not towing anything .

We now have a Tvan camper trailer and will be about 10.2 long I think , would like to think we are still covered
FollowupID: 831874

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Vic - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 14:31
If you look at RACV's terms and conditions
https://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/39a3b332-f9fe-41c9-ab8a-d1172b7164aa/emergency%2Broadside%2Bassistance%2Bterms%2Band%2Bconditions11%2B14.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=39a3b332-f9fe-41c9-ab8a-d1172b7164aa
on page 12 it states that service will be provided on private property or any public highway provided they are trafficable to normal two wheel drive vehicles. It excludes roads which do not allow oncoming traffic to safely pass. So even if the GCR was a private road it still would not be excluded as it is trafficable by 2 wheel drives and it does allow for oncoming traffic. I would imagine the situation would be different if there had been rain and in such circumstances to get TC you would have to sit it out until the road dried out before you ring TC.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831890

Follow Up By: Muzza10 - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 14:52

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 14:52
Thanks Chris
You are correct as the terms and conditions say. However my colleague has written advice from AANT (Northern Terr equiv of RACV) that they do not provide service there.

I have sent an email to RACV asking them to confirm (or deny!!)and also to clarify their position of caravan lengths etc.. Bear in mind the "Tow Pack" was released in January this year so only a few weeks old

When I get a reply I will post it here.

Very confusing!!!

I have just realised we are in the same club silly me.

Cheers

Graeme
FollowupID: 831892

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Vic - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 16:24

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 16:24
Hi Graeme,

It is good to record all this info here so that all can benefit. As you are probably aware Harry is also looking into this matter and I have sent him a link to this page.
Is it possible to post the written advice that has been received from the AANT? It would be interesting to see on what basis they are refusing service.
Regardless of what AANT say our agreement is with the RACV and as I understand it, it is their responsibility to arrange service with or without the AANT. Or at the very least that if we arrange a rescue that the RACV would reimburse us up to the stated limit which $15,000 for a TC member.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831903

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 09:23
I think that you will find that the new Tow Package will cover caravans to nine (9) metres and tow vehicles to eight (8) tonne.

Cheers

Merv
AnswerID: 544613

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Vic - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 09:45

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 09:45
On re-reading the T & C Merv is 100% correct.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831952

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Jan 25, 2015 at 12:05

Sunday, Jan 25, 2015 at 12:05
I clarified this with RACV a couple of days ago on the phone. Merv is indeed correct. I was told the 9 metre limit is “from towballl to the rear of the van”. I suspect confusion has occurred because of the way in which the table of limits has been published & it being new, resulting in some RACV staff suffering the same confusion as members.

I also clarified that the tow cover is reciprocated in all states, although quite how that works when some of the State organisations don’t yet have a similar service I’m not sure.

It does seem like a needed service being provided not before time. I expect that other State driving associations to follow suit soon, if they don’t already have equivalent cover.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 832213

Sponsored Links