Electronics Gurus -12v PLC

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 19:45
ThreadID: 110822 Views:8164 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
So I have put a roof cage on the chariot and currently have a led light bar mounted up there but I am looking at also installing a solar panel, some smaller led work lights and an led strip light for my awning. Rather then running a new cable up to the cage for every device I am thinking that their must be a product available so I can run a large supply cable up there as well as a cat5 or similar to control everything. Obviously there would be a control box under the bonnet and another on the roof cage but I think this would be still easier then running 4 or 5 cables up there.
I know companies like hazard make a light bar controller which is used by emergency services but I was wondering if anyone knows of anything else available as I am not to keen on installing a hazard system in my private vehicle. Or should I go down to jaycar and build it from scratch?
Thanks
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:07
Cant help with your questions but if your lightbar is facing forward as in driving lights remember that it is illegal in most states if not all, to have lights above the bonnet line facing forward.
This is for ON road. They are allowed to be used OFF road.

Apparently they have to be covered on road.
AnswerID: 544641

Follow Up By: Slow one - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:21
Tom,
do you mean lights like these that are running around Australia legally.

MAN Australia
FollowupID: 831915

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:09

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:09
Will try to find the relevant regs . Last time I was fitting out a fourby it was not illegal to fit them but it was illegal to use them on the road.
The exception maybe a Chrysler Jeep model which has a couple in the corners of the roof rack and are described as "Other" lights.

Normally the word starts with a W for them.

Seems its now legal in QLD at least Big thread with reg quotes here

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=136070&hilit=driving+light+position.

From the WA Govt website

There are no height restrictions
with regard to mounting position.
Note: A driver must not use, or allow
to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver'svehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.
Therefore the fitment of driving lamps higher than the driver’s eye level is not recommended.
FollowupID: 831925

Follow Up By: Slow one - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:24

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:24
Tom,
I think they are changing a few things Australia wide as most states now sort of have to conform to a common code. that is except for the NHVR problems between states.

The biggest problem is people who don't know where the low beam stork is and even then they have those stupid HID low beams and don't know what the word FOG LIGHT means.

FollowupID: 831927

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:41

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:41
Tom
On checking the ADR's and in particular ADR 13 paragraph 7.3 Driving Lights and under paragraph 7.3.4.2. reads "In height: no individual specifications".

As the ADR's , being accepted by ALL Australian states into their respective Regulations then these ADR's will over ride, or take precedence, over any state regulation that appears to contradict these rules.

This is the ruling that allows Jeep, and any other manufacturer or individual person, to fit Driving Lights to the roof of any vehicle (including trucks) provided such lights do not exceed 4.3 metres above ground, and they are fitted in a manner that will not discomfort to the driver of such vehicle (ADR 13 7.3.4.3).

Hope tis helps.
Athol
FollowupID: 831928

Follow Up By: Tim - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:22

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:22
In all honesty I think you will find it is illegal in nsw, under the old schedule 2 of the road transport (veh registration) act they couldn't be above headlight level.
FollowupID: 831934

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:56

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:56
Athol

I think you will find that ADR'S only relate to the registration of new vehicles, or imported vehicles, and are not retrospective. A vehicle made in 1970 only needs to comply with ADR'S relevant in 1970.
After initial registration each state regulations take over that govern modifications.

Alan
FollowupID: 831938

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 05:55

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 05:55
Tim,
I believe where what the NSW regs say you are not allowed to place them where there will be any reflection of light onto the vehicle and that would happen if they are mounted on the vehicle head board.

With with the MAN coe there would be be no reflection.
FollowupID: 831946

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 07:40

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 07:40
I believe we have had this one before Guys and while there are issues with driving lightbars you can have work lights up there.

I.E. A Lightbar that can only be switched on manually with no automatic switch on from headlights etc with the intention to use them only when stationary. This is how most of ours are implemented.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 831949

Reply By: Member - Wide ranger - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:41

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:41
You really are talking about a small or even a micro PLC ,
In 12v DC you are asking a lot .
There is a few micro controllers that will run at that , the Siemens LOGO! is one that stands out .
But , and here is the rub , you will struggle to do it for less that about $350 and even then you have not a lot of budget higher current switching devices .
Why not try this ?
Run a 20 amp supply and up at the top fit a small relay panel or box , then the wires to operate the relays can be a fine gauge like 0.3sq mm , security cable or LAN cable ,
that sort of thing . Then inside the cabin you will have a main power fuse and then maybe some rocker switches like those nice ones from Custom Rockers , and then a control fuse . This all means running a few more wires than you wanted but , it works and its inexpensive and can be easily sorted when things go pear shaped out in the back of beyond .

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544645

Follow Up By: Tim - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:45

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:45
That was the sort of thing I was thinking of, getting a bread board(?) and designing my own control board and mounting it in an ip rated j box. A data cable would give me 7 or 8 available inputs/outputs.
Tim
FollowupID: 831919

Reply By: Phil P - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:32

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:32
This may be an option. From Jaycar - https://www.jaycar.com/productView.asp?SUBCATID=978&CATID=79&ID=SP0900&URL=index
AnswerID: 544650

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:17

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:17
If your only talking of switching a few lights on and off, then you could use
the cat5 and a few small relays to switch the lights.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544657

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 07:56

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 07:56
This is how I do those sorts of things and its very cheap , this one can switch 7 small relays , or easily handle a combination of up to seven inputs or outputs.

http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe117.pdf

Actually picaxe is a whole system that is easy to get into and includes simple software and a range of simpler and more complex kits .

However in your case I probably would not approach the problem that way and would run seperate sized cables , each fused with switches inside the car, for each device.
This will prove to be more robust over time.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544668

Sponsored Links