Kimberly Kamper draw bar extension

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:44
ThreadID: 110824 Views:5093 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,
Can anyone tell me a bit about the KK 'A' frame extension? I have a ute, the tray of which contacts the rock deflector limiting the turning circle - particularly when reversing. I have built a longer draw bar to fit the Hayman Reece; this works well but to achieve the desired turning circle it is VERY long and although it is made using thicker cross sectional steel than the standard it was not 'engineered' if you know what I mean!
1. how long is the KK version
2. what does it cost
3. how is it fitted - DIY or must it be done professionally
4. any help would be greatly appreciated ……..

Cheers
Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:37

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:37
You are probably far better to lengthen the drawbar than lengthen the towbar tongue. This can lead to instability problems.

The closer the towball is to the rear axle the better. Probaby best done by a certified welder fo insurance purposes more than anything.

You are not supposed to alter towbars or tongues in any way yourself.

I wanted a small alteration to my towbar and the supplier told me that it could not be in any way altered.

All I wanted was the plates for the chains to be shifted from underneath to on top.

Hayman reece also refuse to allow alterations to their gear apparently after a court case.

I redrilled the hole in my HR tongue and shortened it to fit a 100ser prior to that but when my friend asked later they said no
AnswerID: 544651

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:43

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 21:43
Simon is not talking about lengthening the towbar tongue. He is talking about a drawbar extension on the Kamper.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 831929

Reply By: Bob R4 - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:00

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:00
G'day Simon,
If you contact Kimberley Kampers you will find they can supply the drawer bar extensions as a spare part/ optional extra. Those fitted to gullwing box model KKs look as though they bolt directly to the drawer bars of earlier models. I can remember looking into it a few years back for our 2004 Mariner Classic, and it certainly looked a fairly simple fit. Chain extensions also seem to be a part of the kit. I think it will give another 400 to 500mm length.
If you contact the company, have your serial number at hand and they will be able to tell you exactly what is possible. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Bob
AnswerID: 544655

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:11

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 22:11
Simon,

I have a Kimberley Karavan. An engineered drawbar extension is offered by Kimberley for the Karavan - I have one. It offers about 320mm extension. The Karavan chassis and A frame is based on the Kamper so I believe the Karavan extension will fit and be suitable for the Kamper. In 2008 the extension cost $400. Think $800 now, but you'd better check with Kimberley. Fitting plus electrical work for electric over hydraulic wiring complications cost extra. If you're handy with tools it is easily DIY subject to electrics, and if you're handy with those, ditto. Holes are pre-drilled with the exception of two you may have to do yourself. Bolts are provided as part of the kit.

If 320mm extension is not enough, any engineer could design a suitable extension and sign it off. I am currently having that done for my Karavan as my new tug requires a longer drawbar extension than Kimberley provides to accommodate tight turns. Cost will be $190 plus galvanising. It will be a DIY fit.

Kimberley does not endorse third party modifications, but if they are designed, engineered and certified by an appropriately qualified person you are ok for rego, insurance, etc. If you DIY, use high tensile bolts (grade 8.8) of the right size (9/16ths I think, but check). Just be careful of warranty if your Kamper chassis is still in the warranty period.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 544656

Sponsored Links