Lattes.....

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:49
ThreadID: 110885 Views:2683 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
I'm just new to this so hope it all make sense!
Ok, so we are finally doing our dream trip to Kimberley's this year and I've been thinking abit about my beloved lattes.
I'm not sure how I can get my head around not bringing the giant coffee machine!!!
So, I've seen Kogan sell a 12 v espresso pod thingy that plugs into your cigerette lighter. Solves 50% of my problem but what about milk.? I'm wondering what other well travelled people have done. Looking forward to,hearing some interesting thoughts.
Lucy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:58

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:58
Here's an old thread that may interest you;

Coffee Makers

Make sure you have a look at just how much power the coffee maker will draw as if it is more than the wiring of your cigarette lighter plug and wiring are is rated to, it could cause you some serious worries.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 544921

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:58

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:58
Problem solved Lucy.

Click this link and you'll have lattes coming out your ears.

You'll probably have to chase it up in a big city before you get to The Kimberley. I'm pretty sure they don't stock it on the Gibb River Road.

Steve
AnswerID: 544922

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:13
Good luck with your coffee quest!

Some places in the Kimberley will offer lattes and my partner and I feel like we could write a book about coffee quality outside the capitals. The worst cap was dispensed by a machine that used powdered milk. Puke. But you know, it's all part of the fun, and buying in a cafe or roadhouse supports and brings you in touch with the locals. Another part of the fun is learning, over time, how much you can live without and still enjoy yourself.
AnswerID: 544923

Follow Up By: OBJ - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 15:36

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 15:36
Those "make it yourself" coffee machines on the Stuart Highway in almost every roadhouse gets my vote for the worst coffee I have ever tasted. I had one that was so bed I though I'd just guzzle a litre of diesel down to get the taste of the coffee out of my mouth. Horrible stuff.
FollowupID: 832389

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 12:57

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 12:57
The machine has probably never been cleaned or de-scaled in it's life
FollowupID: 832457

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:15

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:15
Gday Lucy
When I travel it's black coffee and talk about how good it would be with milk. Or you can carry little boxes of long life milk .
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544924

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:24

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:24
Lucy,

We have one of those Kogan 12V espresso machines. They work ok, but only one small, non variable serve at a time and it's pretty slow.

For milk frothing we have a $2.00 battery powered (1 or 2 AA, can't remember) milk frother from Ikea - in fact we have 2 - one for a back-up. They work ok.

But it's all a fair bit of palaver. You have to be keen!

Mick O's comment about 12V outlet wiring is valid (as you would expect :-)), they pull a few amps.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544925

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:29

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:29
Hello Lucy,

Refer to thread 110588, "Coffee on the Road". Lot of good comments about others quest for the perf.........near perfect coffee on the road.

They use that Barrista Milk at Australian Age of Dinosaurs, near Winton. Just in case you're passing through, en route to Charisma Country.

"43 Beans" isn't too bad, black, no sugar!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544926

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:48
Moccona Latte sachets are good, with or without milk, but better with.
AnswerID: 544928

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:39

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:39
I'll second these things.Just add sugar and your done. So much easier than the camping percolators you put on a stove or the 12v things.
FollowupID: 832366

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:06

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:06
A Latte-sipping 4-wheel-driver in the Outback?? [:-o

I thought they only occupied the streets of Ascot (QLD), Toorak, Pipers Point, and Dalkeith!! LOL

Shirley, it must be about time you gave up that dreadful American addiction, and went over to a proper cuppa - Tea!! [;-)

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 544932

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:33

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:33
Yes bushies are tea drinkers. If you are addicted to latte should you really be leaving the big smoke?

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 832393

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:07

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:07
There is nothing 'American' about the coffee we drink in Australia as anyone who has tried to get a decent cup in the US will attest to. 'What flavour do you want?'. 'Aaaah, coffee flavoured would be good'.

Ironically, consumption of tea in the US is one the up, while coffee consumption in Australia increases. Yes, they drink most of it iced, but hot tea consumption in the US has also increased markedly in recent years.

I always laugh at the clichéd concept of 'Latte Sipping Yuppies'. I get my morning coffee from a 'trendy' coffee shop (roast on premises, fair trade coffee and all that), yet every morning I have to park in amongst the tradie's vans, dump trucks and utes. Then line up behind a sea of work boots and day glo. All ordering their 'lattes', decafs, twist of lemon, cold filtered, etc., etc. The apprentice walking out with the morning order for the site and if the order is black coffee then it is a short black single origin Rwandan Nkora (or some such thing). Far from Toorak and not a yuppie in sight, but all enjoying the wonderful array of coffee we can get in Australia. In a world where we all lament the demise of the tradesman and the small operator, it is good to see one area at least where people are happy to wait a little longer and pay a bit extra for something prepared by a 'craftsman' who takes pride in what he/she is doing.

I love a cup of tea, but mostly at home and it is disappointing that most cafes dont do much more than dump a bag in a cup/pot, yet charge upwards of $4 for hot water and a tea bag.

That said, there is nothing quite like a cup of billy tea in the right setting.

Matt.
FollowupID: 832461

Reply By: alhow - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:35

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:35
Don't listen to em girls, if you want your coffee in the bush, go for it.

http://www.centralcoastcoffee.com.au/aeropress-porlex-mini-able-disk-free-235g-coffee.html

Heat some milk in a saucepan or billy if you need it..........oh bytheway it'll be a flatwhite!!
AnswerID: 544957

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 23:09
We, too, like our coffee, but the whole espresso thing is just too hard in the bush. There's too much to go wrong with them, it's another bloody gadget you have to take which doesn't have a second or third use, is heavy and takes up space you don't have.
Our solution? A stainless steel plunger. Brewed coffee with a minimum of cuss and cuss.
AnswerID: 544974

Follow Up By: KenD - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 00:23

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 00:23
Hi Paul, that's a fine camper trailer you have there.
We use a stove top cafeteria—one of those things with water in the bottom. Coffee in the strainer thingy. Tamp it down a bit but not too much or you will blow the thing up. Apply heat for pretty good espresso. Add milk as you like it. Bit more fiddly than instant or plunger but worth it. Caffeine hit assured. Gadget is aluminium light, simple, but only single use. But, as you are probably aware, we Vics are terrible coffee wonkers.
In a hurry? Nice cup of tea.
Hope you're in good nick.
KenD
FollowupID: 832439

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:13

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:13
Lucy, I think you need to work harder on justifying taking that big machine, it's worth it.

I'm an on the road got to have my coffee traveller. I see it as a sign of weakness but it is a luxury that gives me pleasure and the more remote I am the more pleasure it provides.

I use a Delongi magnifica which is fully automatic. Fresh beans and long life milk and I'm almost set. The machine requires 240v and that requires using the generator in non civilised situations. The 2 Kw Honda works hard for my coffee but it is delightful.

Use QLD beans from Mareeba and they stay fresh in the vacume bag they come in.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 544987

Sponsored Links