Snow Chains For Sand/Mud Driving

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:27
ThreadID: 110886 Views:8233 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
This may be an absurdly stupid question and I am standing by ready for Members to poke fun at me and any other humorous cracks at me BUT ....

I have never used nor even seen real snow chains. I have only ever seen snow chains on TV being used in snow/ice conditions for grip/traction.

So my question is:- Could snow chains be used for sand (or mud) driving ?

Yes ? No ? Any comments or advice ??
NeilM_BoabOZ
UHF Channel # 15 - Callsign BoabOZ Mobile 2189
HF Callsign VKS737 Mobile 2189 / Selcall Number 2189 Iridium SatPhone 0405 894 252

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ROODOO2 - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:32

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:32
G'day Neil
No question is stupid unless of course you don't want to learn from it.
My experience with chains goes back almost 50 years with an old 2WD ute and later 30 years in emergency services in the Victorian high country. Sand .....no , you just dig your grave faster , very soft mud is similar. I have driven miles on chains in the right conditions , which are slippery surface , steep hills and places where winching was not practicable ,ie lack of anchor or distance .I know purists will say you rip the track up but not necessarily so , low gear minimal throttle and you do less damage than repeated attempts without chains. I have also used chains for long steep "gravel " hills as a last resort. I always carried a set of chains summer and winter , along with chainsaw and a few basic recovery bits I never had or needed a winch.
Mike

AnswerID: 544934

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:39

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:39
G`day Neil,
Nothing stupid about any question on here mate.
I don`t know about sand or snow but I use wheel chains reasonably often in mud.

Years ago I got rained in on the Darling River for a week, we had a Holden 253 v/8 ute pulling a tandem trailer. We needed to get out because of work commitments, but we only moved about 3mtrs before being bogged.
We borrowed a pair of chains from the Boss Cocky, it took a lot of effort to fit them while bogged, we drove ( crawled) out in 2nd gear at low revs dragging the trailer like a toboggan, the wheels on the trailer were clogged with black sticky mud and couldn`t turn.
We drove about 2 klm to the main track, removed the chains and walked back to the H/S to return them.

Scrubby

AnswerID: 544935

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 14:00
Gday Neil
I was up in high country with Robin Miller, we had a young bloke stuck on a steep incline , Robin and I fitted chains to his rear wheels and the young bloke just drove up the hill, no problems. Neil, you could have fitted chains at Trilby , but it was easier to have me tow you out. Good luck in your travels.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544937

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 14:02

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 14:02
Gday
That should be "steep moist incline"
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 832376

Follow Up By: NeilM_BoabOZ - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 15:34

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 15:34
Thanks Muz for your post ... good to hear from you again. BUT did you have to remind me of my arrival/initiation epic at Trilby ??? That bog mud hole comes back to haunt me and I lose sleep thinking about that epic !! LOL TKS
NeilM_BoabOZ
HF Callsign VKS737 Mobile 2189 / Selcall Number 2189 Iridium SatPhone 0405 894 252

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832388

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:57

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:57
Nothing like a real life demo to open ones eyes is there Muz.

Neil We always carry chains - light snow ones usually , and its worth noting that in scientific tests that if your normal car has a traction value of 100 then fitting mud tyres can increase that index to 150 whereas chains can make the index up to 400.

Simply no other accessory comes close to providing traction and value for money like chains.

Note - Chains need to bite and do not work in sand
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 832399

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 14:16

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 14:16
Neil, for what it's worth I don't think it's a stupid question either.

To be quite honest, I have considered the chain option rather than a set of dedicated mud tyres that usually hum a loud tune on bitumen and "usually" wear faster than AT or HT pattern tyres.
To me the chains would provide the mud tyre's ability to grip through a slippery surface where a less aggressive pattern might just spin on the surface. That's all they do to give grip on icy roads.
Having said all that, I personally avoid mud like the plague whenever I can. Some guys seem to wear the mud coating in and on their vehicles like some sort of badge of honor.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 544938

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 14:18

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 14:18
Forgot to add.

As has been said I wouldn't try them on sand, just work like a chain trencher and dig you further in.
FollowupID: 832377

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 15:19

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 15:19
There was a 4 wheel drive action episode up in Queensland where the guy who owned a large property used chains to get around it in the wet season. They did mention that using chains on mud/dirt tracks is illegal in some places...(maybe National Parks?) because they chew the tracks up a lot. Personally, I don't know about this, just stating that THEY said it so everyone back off. :-)

AnswerID: 544941

Reply By: NeilM_BoabOZ - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 15:30

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 15:30
Firstly, thanks guys for your comments about my "stupid question" not being stupid. I was just leaving the way open to receive back any criticism or whatever and letting it be known that I don't take offense easily, if at all.

Secondly, as luck would have it I have stumbled over a web article from ARB which answers a question very similar to mine. Here is the link ... I hope it works for you.

http://www.arb.com.au/getting-started/ask-arb/general/010%20Snow%20chains.php

Best regards to all
NeilM_BoabOZ

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544942

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:14

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:14
Neil,

The link is broken.

Try this one.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 832391

Reply By: Member - Odog - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 16:04

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 16:04
X3 here for the chains...
My old man, worked on the snowy from start to finish, saw where the old house used to be 55 odd years ago, up the road from swampy plains river at Geehi.. Uncle and cousin marked an X on the tree... To get in and out of there without chains in winter in those days would have been epic. He had an old FB wagon in those days...
I used to put his chains on an old HG sedan, no lsd, would go just about anywhere. I have a set, but they have a V welded on all the links, would only use then as last resort, only to get up or down slippery hills, wouldn't use then in sand though.
Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544944

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 16:16

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 16:16
Hi Neil, noticed you've been asking plenty of advice about lots of things, its the only way to go.
I also did, however, your future up and coming dilemma will be where to put everything and 9 times out of 10 we have to leave a few things behind due to no more room.

AnswerID: 544945

Follow Up By: NeilM_BoabOZ - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 16:56

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 16:56
Thanks Crusier 91 - I've been holed up in Geelong too long and getting itchy feet to continue my travels so I'm repacking my rig and chasing up things that come to mind in the process. Yep - agree with you - it can often be the case "If I didn't have all this gear (like snow chains) then I probably wouldn't be needing to use ... snow chains" As Muz [MUZBRY- Life member(Vic)] will attest to, my rig was well and truly (over) loaded with everything but the kitchen sink when he pulled me out of a mud hole at Trilby Station. But I am on the road for 5+ years so I need gear for all conditions and all seasons. My practical plan is to have "resupply bases" (bit of an overstatement .. sounds like Scott in Antarctica) in Perth, Geelong, Toowoomba and Darwin/Alice (still looking in NT) and leave gear behind. When I need gear I can get back to a base or get a base to freight gear to me. This way I hope my new rig waiting for me back in Perth will be less (over) loaded but I can still get to all gear within a few days when I am starting a different trek .....
NeilM_BoabOZ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832390

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:14

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:14
4WDs can be hard on chains so get HD units if you have the choice. Diamond pattern work best in snow that's on the bitumen.

A chain-clad tyre runs hotter than one without so check your pressures. Take the chains off as soon as you're out of the merde.
AnswerID: 544947

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:19

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:19
Should also have said that common Chinese units on the market like V2 Traction have resulted in poor experiences among some users. They're not strong enough to cope with a wheel spin followed by a bite.
FollowupID: 832463

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 16:20

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 16:20
Yep.
In 1974 I drove a VW Kombi from Uluru to Port Augusta and it was flooded all the way.
The only reason we managed to get through was because I had a set of snow chains and they were probably fitted for several hundred kms.
The links had almost cut each other through by the time we got to the bitumen.
It took a full 7 days.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 832473

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 17:33

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 17:33
Heheh. Those were the days.
FollowupID: 832477

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:50

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:50
I just remembered this. Cooleman caves area in NSW Snowy Mtns October long weekend 1976. Rain started overnight and creeks which were dry the day before now had a foot of water. That was no problem for a Landcruiser only a couple of years old but do you think he could get up the muddy bank to get out of the creek. Chains on front wheels were just ripping the bank to shreds and he wasn't going anywhere. It was just a few metres up the bank but he was trapped.And the chains were those heavy duty type with no plastic parts at all. took ages and a lot of damage to get out.
Still chains are a lot cheaper than a winch and as others have said they have been useful in certain situations. But do you really want to buy and carry them?.... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544960

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:08

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:08
Bought a set of chains when I had an EH Holden ute, Neil. Only used them once, and managed to get through deep mud, even dragging the diff. Funny thing was, the local station owner came down a few hours later, in same model ute, sans chains, and didn't get a speck of mud on his vehicle! :-). Experience counts for a lot, in those situations.

Some years later we got another set of chains to suit Landcruiser utes. Used them occasionally when it was wet and I NEEDED to get somewhere, but otherwise the Utes, and the chains, sat in the shed until the roads had dried out.

On one occasion, the wife and daughter were coming out from Winton, and it was questionable whether they'd get all the way home. Fitted the chains to front wheels and headed off, up the Diamantna River road. About 90 clicks up, and on the Cork Mail road, they'd been blocked by Horse Creek, so carted the mail and other lighter stuff across the creek(about 500M) on foot, and left the other ute there, out of flood risk.

Well, got home that night about 9pm, all pretty tired, and with a filthy Tojo. The rain had stopped so the heavy country started to pack the ute up, and we were often in 1st or 2nd, low range, just to keep moving. Once we hit the River Road again, there was a lot more gravel, and enough water remaining in the wheel tracks to flush out the mudguards.

Did 180 kms return trip with chains, and used nearly 100L of diesel! But got the Boss and daughter home.... Some months later the front diff of that ute got funny and we had to get it rebuilt. Coincidence, I don't think so!

Handy to have chains, Neil, but if it's that wet probably best to stay home, or don't venture anywhere remote. Realise that the snow country is a different case.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 544969

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:50

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:50
Never tried chains in sand, we stick with low pressures.
Adding chains to a 2WD in slippery mud conditions makes it almost as good as a 4WD. Fantastic on a front wheel drive because drive = steering too.

Have used chains on a 4WD in slippery mud and always put them on the front. Almost unstoppable, but can burn the fuel.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA195 Motorhome
AnswerID: 544983

Sponsored Links