Light bar placement?

Hi folks
I intend to fit a good quality light bar to the troopy and was interested in seeking your thoughts about where to fit it. The two options are (1) top of bulbar or (2) front of roof rack.
Would be interested to hear pros and cons of each particularly from those of you who have fitted them.
I currently have a set of IPF lights fitted.
Any other info appreciated.
I am reasoning more light the better but keen to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Arlo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:05

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:05
I have a light bar and originally I removed my IPF spotlights and put it on the roobar. I found it not as good - lots of light just not down the road where a roo might be sitting in the middle. I put my IPF spotlights back on.

Next I put it on the roof rack. Great lots of light and with the IPF I have a focused beam down the road. But ..... The light bar now reflects onto the bonnet. I have had to disconnect it pending what to do. I have been recommended to move it backwards so it is about 150mm behind the windscreen so the light is deflected from going straight down onto the bonnet. That will be the next mount position.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544946

Reply By: Member - Stinger2 - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:28

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:28
Although you see lots of them, light bars above the drivers eyes are illegal...
AnswerID: 544948

Follow Up By: Arlo - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:18

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:18
Yes, good thought, I will check with Qld Transport.
Thanks
Arlo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 832403

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 20:34

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 20:34
This is probably what you are after:
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Vehicle%20standards/Vehicle%20standards%20instructions/G150.pdf

It also needs to be read in conjunction with "Australian Design Rule 13/00 Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than LGroup vehicles", which states:

7.3. ‘DRIVING LAMPS’
7.3.1. Presence: Optional on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.
7.3.2. Number:
7.3.2.1. Two or four.
7.3.2.2. To be used in conjunction with headlamps.7.3.3. Arrangement:
No individual specifications
7.3.4. Position:
7.3.4.1. In width no individual specifications.
7.3.4.2. In height: no individual specifications.
7.3.4.3. In length: at the front of the vehicle and fitted in such a way that the light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either directly or indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other reflecting surfaces of the vehicle.

So, the bush lawyer in me reads this as long as they are driving lamps, come on with high beam and don't blind the driver or other road users, then go for your life.

One thing to be careful of though is that there is aways talk of a 'Crack down' on bull bars, particularly things that stick out above or in front of them.
FollowupID: 832487

Reply By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:29
You might want to check local regulations - in many (perhaps all?) states/territories of Australia, it is illegal to mount the driving lights higher than the bottom of the windscreen. I would assume light bars would be included under the same regulations.

Consider also if mounting at roof level: whenever you approach a crest, you're going to be dazzling oncoming drivers for quite a while before seeing them and dipping your lights back to low beam.
AnswerID: 544949

Follow Up By: Arlo - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:23

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:23
Thanks Tim

Blinding other drivers not a problem. My reason for fitting a bar is to travel early morning to a lagoon about 40k from home ( private road and still on the property I work) to photo birdlife.

Thanks
Arlo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 832404

Reply By: Sir Kev - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:03

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:03
Arlo,

My thoughts are if you have a bulbar with the 1 1/2" round bar about 50mm above the c channel section of the bul.bar below the headlights is to mount 1 slimline LED lightbar each side between the round bar and the c channel. As the bull bar is tapered in this section the lightbar will illuminate the verges of the road whilst the IPF spotlights will take care of the centre of the road and give some good distance.

I intend to do this on my 79 series dual cab.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544953

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:16

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:16
ADR13 is the relevant document. It used to limit the height of driving lights to no higher than the line of the original headlights, but that restriction has been removed. However, lights must be fitted to the front of the vehicle, so by law you can't put them on the roof (yes, I know that many people do!!)
FollowupID: 832402

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:32

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:32
It also says that lights must be in pairs so a single light bar wont qualify. It also still says that above the bonnet line is a no no in the drivers line of sight.

There has been animated discussion on 4wd forums about these and it seems some put a piece of metal about 150 mm wide in the centre to make it appear as two lights.

I wont comment further as it seems a very sensitive subject.

The best advice I can give is get on the phone and ask QLD TMR technical section. NOT the muppet that answers the phone at the call centre.
FollowupID: 832405

Follow Up By: Arlo - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:33

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:33
Thanks to all

May try to rig up fitting to enable me to remove them if travelling off property especially if I go roof rack mounted. No legal issues then. May also rig up similar for bull bar and can test both options over a period.
Wacked a pig the other morning (luckily small dent only) so looking to increase my visibility when travelling early morning.

Thanks to all.
Arlo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 832407

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:33

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:33
If used ONLY OFFROAD you wont have any trouble. Just dont flash a Highway Patrol car by accident LOL
FollowupID: 832408

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 19:07
Single light bars ARE legal in qld. Other states are following and expected to have regs in within months. I have just fitted a 28 inch one to the top of my bulbar so as not block air flow to radiator. . It works well and as I live in Cairns I do not have a real need for HID driving lights for long distance sight. Also the HID can take a second or two to turn off. Not really what you want if approaching someone with high powered HID lights coming at you. If on roof put a adjustable shelf under them so you get no light on your bonnet or bulbar. Was reading somewhere that if roof top mounted the lights must in no way distract a driver. Legal?,,I don't know. I get a great spread of light for several hundred meters and that's all I want.
cheers
FollowupID: 832417

Follow Up By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 20:57

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 20:57
On my 100 series I have a 32" light bar on the front of the roof rack.

I had an aluminium housing fabricated for it which covers 2 of the issues raised above:

1). It has a "floor" that extends out in front of the light by about 6"....this prevents the light from hitting the bonnet and causing a distraction.

2). It has a fold down "lid" that covers it completely...held down by a magnetic door closer.

I will now see if I can add a pic:

]In the open position[/url]

]Showing lid in the closed position.[/url]

Roachie
FollowupID: 832423

Follow Up By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:04

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:04
By the way, as a general comment.....

I wouldn't rely on the lightbar solely.

I have a pair of Fyrlyt 150s on the bullbar and these leave EVERY other brand of light I've ever used (including Lightforce 240s with HID) for dead.

I'm just tossing up whether to leave the 150s on the Cruiser when I sell it or transfer them to my new Silverado. If I don't move them over, I will be buying a set of the new Fyrlight Nemisis and won't be worried about the light bar at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2BtvQa0hVA

Roachie
FollowupID: 832424

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 16:56

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 16:56
Roachie,

the new ADR, in the process of being adopted by all states and territories, says that a single light bar is OK, as long as it is mounted at the front of the vehicle. Whether your friendly copper thinks the front of the roof is the front of the vehicle is a matter of conjecture.

However, enclosing it in an aluminium box like yours would probably solve the problem (although unless you have used translucent aluminium it won't assist illumination very much).

Bob
FollowupID: 832650

Follow Up By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 18:35

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 18:35
Thanks Bob....the idea is that it stays covered (ie: the flap/lid closed over) except when it is needed.

This is usually only when I'm out on long deserted highways (eg: the Hay plain or up the Stuart Hwy), and the instances of coming across constable plod in those circumstances is very rare (....never?).

So, during normal daytime driving or when night driving on "busy" roads, the light bar stays covered.

Roachie
FollowupID: 832657

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 20:40

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 20:40
Arlo,

If you're going "to fit a good quality light bar", then I'd suggest you take a look at Peak Explorers LED's before you do. For about $650 each, you'll get a round LED light that, when mounted in pairs, would exceed the visual output of a light bar. Just a suggestion, Arlo. Have been doing 25-30 hrs of night driving/week in a truck, and they make it like driving in daylight.

For ease of mounting I'd position your light bar on top of the bull bar. Still gives wide spread, and reasonable spread forwards. Imagine you wouldn't be travelling real fast on this road to the photo site. And would get the biggest light bar that will fit neatly.

I've got a 22" bar on my 79 series ute, along with 2 Hella 4000's with HID inserts. Gives reasonable spread with plenty of reach well ahead from the Hellas.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 544966

Reply By: craigandej - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:37

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:37
Gday Arlo,

I have a troopy running the following:

A 50w light bar mounted on the top of the bullbar which I use on road. It has great spread and more reach than standard high beam.

Off road I use a 100w bar mounted on the front of an ARB full length roof rack. It has greater reach and spread, and the positioning of the rack on the troopy roof means the light does not light up the bonnet at all (just my antenna).
I have run the cable underneath the troopy to the rear, then up through the bodywork inside, then out through the brake light housing mounted above the rear door. The cable then rises straight up in flexi conduit to meet the rear of the roof rack, then forward to the light. I have also run cable to a fixed solar panel this same way.

For extreme reach I have 2x 240mm lightforce lights fitted with 100w HID inserts on the bullbar also. Again off road use only.

Wish I had pigs so close to home :)

Hope this helps.
Regards
Craig
AnswerID: 544971

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 07:38

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 07:38
I am a member of several 4wd forums and the general feeling is that a lightbar is sufficient for normal road use. I personally cant see the need to see a kilometre down the road. Yes, I had 2 large lightforce 240s fitted to my troopy. Useless on tight twisty tracks. Quite a few people are going away from HID,s and putting good quality Philips globes for their high beam and buying a good quality lightbar. The new LED driving lights mentioned in this thread are also excellent and give great light. A bit pricey though. However like everything else, shop around and a Chinese company will be making them for half the price! On very long straight stretches of outback road a decent set of HID,s may be an asset. It all depends on where you do most of your night driving..
FollowupID: 832442

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:15

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:15
A good set of driving lights be it halogen or HID and a LED lightbar and you have all situations covered
FollowupID: 832450

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:48

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:48
That's true Alby. In that case go with the twin LED driving lights that have good spread and distance. Expensive but good gear.

BUT....

Young bloke up here had 2 expensive HID driving lights and a lightbar fitted. Only lasted a week and some mongrel knocked them off. $1500 worth..

If your going to spend dollars on the lights it would be a good idea to get tamper proof nuts and bolts.
FollowupID: 832464

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 10:49

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 10:49
Bigfish - At last someone with similar feelings about seeing what's straight down the road at 1Km.

Even at 120 KPH that's 30 seconds away for 1KM and about 45 seconds at 80KPH. I am sure I will see it with my headlights before then and in pleanty of time to stop. Light spread to the side is different. That is where you would get the most benefit over standard headlights.

And we also don't drive that much at night. Besides - that's happy hour and campfire time!!!!

I would rather put the money towards a set of lockers or a cruise or whatever. (PS I don't want lockers - just an example)
FollowupID: 833101

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 10:16

Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 10:16
Regardless of how legal lights on the roof are or aren't I wouldn't do it.

I would hate to drive a long way at night with a glow from the bonnet like that shown in the youtube video below. There was also a good example of it on TV yesterday with several cars. I think the show was called The Offroad Adventure Show but I am not 100%.

But that's us - no lights on the roof. You go your own way.

PS This is not a criticism of or anything as such. Just an example of what I would not have on my car. I didn't even watch the whole video. Please note the bonnet brightly lit up at 2:23.

AnswerID: 545156

Sponsored Links