Explorex

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 16:10
ThreadID: 110907 Views:3282 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Purchased an Explorex after extensive research.
Van is basically very good but attempts to get repairs done to a front window which leaks when travelling in heavy rain have proved futile.
Any suggestions
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Road Warrior - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 16:24

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 16:24
Do you mean they arent honouring the warranty or they can't seem to fix it or...? Something else?
AnswerID: 545028

Follow Up By: collin - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 16:58

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 16:58
Not honouring warranty. They are blaming the design of the window which may well be the case. Camec said they would replace the window if their solution of adding a tape to the seal didn't work but after a number of months nothing has happened.
FollowupID: 832516

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 17:59

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 17:59
They are not permitted to shift the problem to a component supplier.

They chose the component, they fitted it. They are required to rectify the fault and sort it out themselves with the component supplier.

Don't take any BS. Be polite but assertive and insist on your rights.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 832518

Follow Up By: Kyle H - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 19:35

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 19:35
Unfortunately Collin there are not too many windows on the front of caravans that do not leak when travelling down the road in pouring rain at 100 kilometres per hour.
There are many with front located beds that have had them removed.
If you have a front seating arrangement in your van then removal means loss of lighting.
Some people just seal them up with Sika or like and never open them again.
I have just completed the deal for my new van, the front window above the bed was the first thing we removed.
Sorry but this probably does not help in hindsight but keep the pressure up on Explorex, I was always of the understanding they were a quality product and a very good company to deal with.
FollowupID: 832523

Follow Up By: Geepeem - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 20:58

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 20:58
You are correct Kyle there should not be front or rear windows in a true off road van. The air turbulence will almost certain allow dust penetration if travelling at speed on a dirt road and also allow water to be forced in.
FollowupID: 832525

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 21:10

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 21:10
collin,

As Frank P said. You bought the van as a complete entity from Explorex. They bought and fitted the front window. If they were of the opinion that the brand or location of the window was going to be beyond their ability to fit without the problems you have encountered, they should have made that quite clear when you were ordering the van. If you insisted and they were to fit it on the proviso that there could be dramas down the line they should have included wording to that effect on the contract document.
Having said all that, my 2006 Supreme Spirit on road, average quality van has a front window, been towed in torrential rain and high winds and never leaked a drop of water and zero dust.
In simple terms, the problem is theirs, not yours. Also as Frank said be polite but firm and make it quite clear that this matter will go to Fair Trading and any other organisation as required until repaired to your satisfaction.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 545038

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 21:12

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 21:12
One other thing, documentation at every step of the way. Every notification to or from them in writing.
FollowupID: 832527

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 23:50

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 23:50
Front windows, while a common cause of complaint, do not have to leak. It is usually due more to the fitting than the product itself. We have a 17 y/o caravan that has really been and and done the rough stuff, and with standard Camec windows, the front window does not leak. This includes during driving in heavy rain when water can be forced upwards - not the angle windows were designed to expect the water flow.

Keep up the pressure Collin. The buck stops with the dealer (or factory if direct purchase) where you purchased the van. Keep up the pressure and best of luck in your fight for your rights.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 545046

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 02:36

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 02:36
Sounds like my experience with Bushtracker. They are terrific at blaming the parts for being at fault.
ACL falls on deaf ears with those guys, and sounds like you are experiencing the same thing.
Good luck, and hope you get it sorted.
Brett...
AnswerID: 545049

Follow Up By: braggy - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 07:52

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 07:52
That sounds familiar, I had a cracked suspension arm at around 3mths old, and the reponse was, here is the suspension manufactures phone number, not our problem.
FollowupID: 832546

Reply By: AnneC5 - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 07:59

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 07:59
As others have stated, this is not your problem but one your dealer (and not other suppliers) needs to deal with. Many businesses do not seem to be aware of current consumer law but it is explicit in stating the place of purchase must deal with this. It also states that this law overrides any company warranty so they cannot use their warranty as an excuse. Basically if an item has a fault that would have prevented you from purchasing it if you were aware of the fault it is a major problem and must be fixed or money refunded. This is a link to the legal obligations. A family member approached Consumer Affairs Vic due to being told by a dealer that the component people and not the dealer needed to sort a problem and was told that the dealer was definitely responsible and they would take it up if needed. This is the case Australia wide. https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees
AnswerID: 545051

Sponsored Links