who is Vagabond

Submitted: Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 14:43
ThreadID: 110917 Views:2348 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
gooday people ,
just read a story on Friday five of a group of vehicles who did a marathon trip
an his vehicle broke its chassis on the Simpson , just curious what vehicle was it
,sounds hoorific
cheers mechpete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 18:55

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 18:55
There are a few stories/reports on this forum relating to vehicles,mainly dualcabs, bending chassis behind the cab/in front of tray.

If you use Bent/bending chassis in the search facility here you should bring them up.

Cheers

Disco.
AnswerID: 545085

Reply By: Tate1984 - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:45

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:45
My old man was part of a 3 month trip last year which transversed many of the deserts of Australia.

Toward the end of the trip they were doing the Simpson crossing west to east and one of the vehicles did bend their chassis. It was a late model dual cab Colarado/Dmax with and aluminium canopy if I recall correctly.

General consensus from all involved was too much weight being carried. I'm not sure if airbag helpers were involved. The vehicle had survived the Anne Beadell and CSR crossing but it all proved too much in the end.

I did ask how they recovered/repaired the vehicle to make it home and he replied "called the RACQ of course".
AnswerID: 545108

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 13:34

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 13:34
When you have a lightweight dual cab 4WD (I'm talking about the ones that are in the cheaper price categories here) - with a tray where 60% or more of its length is hanging out behind the rear axle - and it's loaded to the max, and does substantial "unmade road" work - then the result is all too obvious to anyone who has studied the chassis construction and the leverage factor in these vehicles and designs.

The only other vehicle I've seen with chassis problems is the older Landrovers where chassis corrosion protection has been neglected, and they've suffered the corresponding rust perforation problems, and chassis fracture problems.
Great rust-free alumimium body, shame about the steel chassis with its poor drainage design.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 545112

Sponsored Links