No luck with Jackaroo TPS

Submitted: Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 15:07
ThreadID: 11099 Views:2148 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Removed throttle position switch, pulled it apart and cleaned thoroughly with Isopropyl alcohol. It was, however, very clean, just a small amount of carbon dust on the cylinder shaped internal core. I can't see how any oil contamination in the air supply could get into the switch because it is exterior to the throttle body and the only connection is via the spindle of the throttle butterfly. This is assuming I cleaned the right component - it comprised a black cylinder which connects to the throttle butterfly spindle, the cylinder rotates inside a round metal housing which obviously has some electronic sensors embedded in it to indicate the position of the cylinder and hence the throttle butterfly.
I took off the hose between the intercooler and the throttle body and could see that the inside of the throttle body and the butterfly were very dirty, all components covered with a black oily layer. Is this normal or is there something wrong here?
Anyway, cleaned everything, put it back together and.......check engine light comes on and stays on. I tried disconnecting the battery for a while hoping it may "reset" the diagnostics but still no luck. Looks like I'm back to the dealer?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 17:03

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 17:03
Kieth, You have a different prob to me.. mine was full of grunge... dissmantled & cleaned the lot and it has been fine since.
AnswerID: 49550

Reply By: LBJ - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 17:42

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 17:42
Keith, i am asuming its a turbo diesel. i hope you took off the switch that was on the inlet manifold right at the back near the fire wall end.......... it is very common of them to carbon up.......
AnswerID: 49557

Reply By: Savvas - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 21:50

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 21:50
I'm not that familiar with the TDI but I know it is a drive-by-wire throttle.

Did you take the switch off it, or the throttle position swith or the actuator which "drives" the throttle position?
AnswerID: 49596

Follow Up By: Savvas - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 21:51

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 21:51
Stuffed up that last line. It should read ...

Did you take the throttle postion switch off, or the actuator which "drives" the throttle position?
FollowupID: 311383

Reply By: Member - Keith - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 11:10

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 11:10
Savvas - you are spot on! Last night I removed the throttle body and all was revealed- on one side is the throttle actuating solenoid and on the other, tucked between the throttle body and the firewall is the TPS. It had some white deposit inside, probably some sort of corrosion, it cleaned up OK and now the check engine light is off and stays off. Thanks for your responses - another problem solved by the Forum.
BTW I'm still concerned at the stae of the inside of the inlet manifold - I could literally scoop black gunk out with my finger, is this normal?
AnswerID: 49639

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 22:36

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 22:36
Woohoo! What a guess!
FollowupID: 311518

Sponsored Links