How to Clean up Muddy Water

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 09:03
ThreadID: 111010 Views:2433 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

I know that a lot of you fellow travellers travel this great country of ours, and quite often will find yourself camped by an Outback water supply. Nearly every water source is quite muddy looking and not inviting to use in your camp.

If you would like to read on how you can achieve this very easy to do job, then open my link below and you will see just how easy it is.

How to clean Muddy Water

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 09:50

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 09:50
I carry alum, just sprinkle a little across the surface & leave for a few hours.
Alum is commonly used in the swimming pool industry as floculant.

AnswerID: 545457

Follow Up By: Notso - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:09

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:09
Most of these additives reduce the PH of the water. To raise it up around neutral just add a bit of soda ash or even Bicarb Soda at the same time as you add the flocculant.

Perfectly safe to drink the water, providing you use a water purifying tablet or boil it before use, as this type of treatment is used in water treatment plants.
FollowupID: 833013

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 14:32

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 14:32
Hi Shaker and Notso

Shaker, I have not tried your recipe, so will be another one to try. If you read my short Blog, you will have seen that Scrubby has put another idea up as well, the fine white ash from your campfire, and leaving overnight with the same results, so thanks for posting your method of settling water.

Notso, thanks also for your comments. Would it be beneficial to add the Bicarb Soda to the water at the same time that I add the Epsom Salts? When we used it for our showers, we did not even know that it was Murray Water, mind you we did not drink any of it, knowing that it would have contained high bacteria counts.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833039

Follow Up By: Notso - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:25

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:25
Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom Salts) are not acidic so adding an alkali would have no beneficial effect if you use Epsom Salts.

Aluminium Sulphate (Alum) on the other hand is acidic. Hence the need to neutralise the acid for drinking purposes. When using Alum in water treatment the acid and alkali are either added at the same time or the alkali is added later. In a batch process envisaged here then they would probably be best added at the same time.

If the feed water is fairly alkaline then it may not be necessary to add alkali at all.
FollowupID: 833046

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 16:50

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 16:50
Stephen/Notso,

From my experience, using alum and an alkali together does not work.

Better to use the alum first, let it do its thing, then add the alkali to raise the ph. We used to use Hydrated Lime to raise the ph. Don't know how successful this was as never checked the ph.

Another hint to increase the floccing effect is to dissolve the alum etc in hot water first, then add this to the water to be cleared........works much quicker than adding the dry ingredient.

As well as stuff already mentioned in the thread, you can use cement powder, some of the iron salts and I think, even liquid acid. Not so safe, for the last one. :-)

Never ever used Epsom Salts..........always feared what effect it might have on one's system. :-). Drinking alum water can have some a similar effect too.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833239

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 12:30

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 12:30
Not sure that I would bother for showering water?
The 'brown' is typically colloidal clay.
A fine (0.5um) filter will also remove it, but I would advise against that method as the filter will block quite quickly as the volume of contaminant is quite high.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 545483

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 13:31

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 13:31
The problem is that that the sediment builds up in the HWS, be it a portable style or fixed.

FollowupID: 833034

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 14:38

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 14:38
Hi Peter and Shaker

Even though we were in and out of the water with the warm weather, it was very nice and refreshing to have that warm shower at the end of the day to freshen up and to wash our hair.

I know Adelaide used to have some of the worst tap water in Australia, but over the years things have changed and no longer is the water off colour when it come out of our taps. That fine silt would build up in any HWS and shorten the life of both the element and the storage cylinder, by many years, while now, the silt build up is a thing of the past.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833040

Reply By: murrayman - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 17:25

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 17:25
hi Stephen.
It works just as well in the cooper, have been using this method for years. We generally get four or five buckets of water each morning, 2 table spoons of Epson per bucket and good clear water at night for the shower and dishes. I used to have trouble getting a itchy scalp from the clay in the water when showering and this solved the problem good. I have also used this method on the Menindee lakes when toping up the shower tanks in the van except after cleaning the water I then run it through my van filters before going in to the van tanks as the filters are supposed to be able to remove some bugs as well. regards mark.
AnswerID: 545499

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 18:29

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 18:29
Hi Mark

Thanks for that and its great to hear that you have had the same results from other water sources apart from the Murray. If you could, you should paste your above reply to the Blog, so future readers will be able to see your great reply, where as forum post replies can often get lost if you are not looking for the right thing.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833062

Sponsored Links