4.2TD 80 series torque converter

Submitted: Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 17:27
ThreadID: 11103 Views:5066 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Y'all
I am on the hunt for someone that may have had some experience with torque converters. I am told that my TD (1hd-T) 80series auto is lacking punch, off the mark, because the torque converter needs some adjustment. I have been told that this was not uncommon to this model.
Once the Turbo kicks in , at about 1800rpm, no worries.She goes like a rocket...
The Injectors, fuel pump etc are in good order, & has recently had a tune up by a diesel expert, which has improved the problem, however the initial "lag" is still annoying & the "expert" blames this on the torque converter....
The vehicle has done 105000km.
Any experience please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 19:35

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 19:35
There is brobably nothing wrong with your converter , Most 80 series turbo diesels are slugs off the line . If you increase the stall on your converter , you will loose engine braking down hill . you choose whats more important to you
AnswerID: 49581

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:51

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:51
Eric,

Even the manuals aren't a "ball of fire" low down, compared to their performance above 2,000rpm. Have had a 90 model, and now have a '97 multi valve, and they're both slugs.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 311377

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 22:38

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 22:38
Rowdy,
As far as I'm aware and my experience with torque convertors there isn't a lot to adjust. The only thing that could change things a tad would be oil and temp of the oil, scarey field to be messing around with. It's the internal clearances and the shear of the oil that generates the drive and also the heat you experience.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 49608

Reply By: awill4x4 - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 22:41

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 22:41
Rowdy, check out this site http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=11360 for the most credible information on performance automatics. The owner, Rodney Hudson Davies has been developing both Nissan & Toyota auto's for some years now and has really come up with the goods. All of Linquip's and Brunswick's V8 diesel conversions going in front of either Nissan or Toyota auto's use his heavy duty valve bodies.
He has now developed a "low speed" torque convertor specifically for 4x4's. the web address is http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=10282 A friend of mine has just had his auto rebuilt by Rodney after a total failure and is extremely happy with the results particularly with the torque convertor for towing and he is also claiming better economy as well.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 49609

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 22:21

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 22:21
Gday
Purely from experiance with a friends t/d manual, he has nothing below 1800 aswell. You see, the fuel system is set up to give reduced injection until the turbo spins up some boost (or the clouds of smoke will occur) to give a green light (2psi)You may notice that the green light comes on when the head hits the back of the seat.....you can adjust the top doover (called an aneroid) on the pump to give full fuel injection at lower boost, but you will cause more black smoke. The auto's torque converter will outlast the cruiser if you change the oil every year or so.
Andrew
AnswerID: 49710

Sponsored Links