Moreton Island Trip in Camper Trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 08:56
ThreadID: 111078 Views:3704 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are thinking of going to Moreton Island for a few days to have a look around in our camper trailer. I would prefer in the next month or two as it "should" mean that there has been rain and the sandy tracks/beach should be fairly firm, as opposed to being very soft and difficult to traverse. My only other must is full moon period with low tide roughly in the middle of the day, so there are big outs.

Is there anyone on the forum who has experience camping on Moreton Island who would be prepared to offer some advice on camp sites, must see's/do's etc.

Brian DJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:09

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:09
It's a while since I have been over there Brian, but we are actually planning a visit sometime in March. Generally not a problem getting around the island. We always used to camp around Freshwater on the east side. The west can get fairly thick with mossies and sandflies. The lighthouse of course is worth a visit if you've not been up to it and the track from main beach across behind the lighthouse to the north beach (Yellow Patch?) used to be a bit of a challenge at times, but as I say, I've not been across for quite a few years.
The fresh water lakes are definitely worth a visit.
AnswerID: 545703

Reply By: Pushy - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:35

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:35
Whilst not an expert, I can offer the following comments.

The whole island is great and I don't think any campsite is drastically superior to any other.

Points of interest:- lighthouse,Tangalooma wrecks, Rous battery, The desert, sand dunes
blue lagoon.

Whilst Middle Road is dry sand it is usually nothing to worry about. It is getting from the beach on either side to the road that can be problematic, especially with a camper trailer. Also no proper fuel supplies on the island.

Wonderful spot so close to Brisbane even though the ferry is expensive.

AnswerID: 545705

Reply By: Member - Wayne N (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 16:43

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 16:43
As above, getting off the beach and on to the tracks and vice versa is the main problem. It is usually very cut up and soft. Once on the tracks all usually good.

3 things to remember:

1:Let your tyres down
2:LET your tyres down
3:LET YOUR TYRES WAY DOWN.

It is critical to deflate all tyres for these areas but be mindful of these lower pressures and take it very easy then in the easy going like the ocean beach.

Overall a great place to visit so have fun.

Wayne
Crossing the Wenlock

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545727

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:05

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:05
If you only plan to stay on Moreton Island for a few days, may i throw in a suggestion that you look into "Glamping" at Bulwer instead of taking the camper trailer over. It'll cost you about $200 extra to take the camper over from memory, for $110 a night for 2 people or $150 for a family of 4 you can Glamp there instead...no time lost setting up and packing up the camper. Catch the morning ferry over and late arvo ferry home and you basically have 2 1/2 days on the island to explore the place (it's nearly lunch time by the time you arrive there). We've done both camping on the island and glamping, if we ever went back again for just a few days i'd likely glamp again instead of taking our camper purely for the reason i already mentioned above. Longer then a few days and i'd definately look at taking the camper over due to price differances though. We had a great time on our last visit there glamping, we (family of 4) went over on the Friday morning and came home Sunday arvo and only needed the fourby and some clothes and some basic food supplies. There's a large shared camp kitchen area there with a couple of bbq's and a fridge (we were actually on a package deal that included brekky and diiners), and you could also drive to a few places if you like to have bought meals if you want to (we had lunch on the Saturday at Kooringal at The Gutter Bar and friends had lunch Sunday at Tangaloom).
No harm if you don't like the idea, just an alternative i thought i'd throw out there for you, seeing your stay was going to be a brief one...... https://www.moretonislandadventures.com.au/glamping
AnswerID: 545737

Follow Up By: rumpig - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:16

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:16
Here's a trip report i did from that weekend that you may be interested in reading Brian http://forum.themotleycrew.com.au/index.php?topic=2108.0
FollowupID: 833362

Reply By: Louwai - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:38

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:38
We were there for a week last Oct.
We camped off the back of the beach just north of Blue Lagoon. Nice & private. Easy access, although we only have the troopie & a tent. No camper trailer. But still good easy access with the right tow vehicle.

The flushing toilets & cold showers were only a 5 min drive away at the Blue Water Lake camp ground.

All beach access tracks were clean & easy. No issues.
Parts of the center road were quite bumpy where less experienced drivers had been stuck & spinning wheels digging some ruts. But a nice easy crawl over them & they wern't a problem.

If you intend to circumnavigate the island, make sure you head along the south-western parts at low tide or you'll be driving through salt water for several klm along a very narrow stretch of sand.
AnswerID: 545741

Reply By: arofs1 - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 08:40

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 08:40
Thanks guys for your helpful comments, it will assist with our planning. Brian DJ
AnswerID: 545827

Sponsored Links