Travelling with firearms

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 18:31
ThreadID: 111098 Views:4174 Replies:10 FollowUps:35
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me what the regulations are for travelling with firearms. We are planning on heading to Esperance and then up the Connie Sue Hwy to Ayers Rock and then beyond. I am only asking as if I don't take them with me, I have to hand them in to the local police station for them to look after until I get back.
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 18:51

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 18:51
D-maxer

I am just wondering why do you think you need a gun when travelling ( do a lot of travellers carry guns ? )
The chances of anything happening is really slim.
A mate of mine takes a 12 gauge shotgun when he travels
he reckons it is peace of mind ,I think it is a accident waiting to happen.
cheers .
AnswerID: 545787

Follow Up By: cruiser 3 - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:01

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:01
He said he was thinking of taking them because he feels they may not be allowed to remain at his house unattended.
FollowupID: 833417

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:18

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:18
As both my wife and myself will be travelling, we are not legally allowed to leave them in the gun cabinet at home. All our firearms are licensed to both of us, we either take them with us, or hand them in. I am just wondering what the requirements are to take them with us. Do I need a gun safe secured in the back of the ute or what?

Think I might just check with my mate in firearms licensing at WAPOL, but heading into another state and Territory was my main concern.
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833420

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 02:12

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 02:12
I have never seen a rule that stops you from storing your firearms at home if you are away?
While it may or may not be a good idea if there is such a rule I havent seen it.
Not so long ago the WAP would store your firearms in that situation as a community service, now I believe they charge a hefty fee...

Mark perhaps he may want to compete at local clubs or hunt while travelling?
Why automatically assume he may want to shoot someone?
FollowupID: 833464

Reply By: Bigfish - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:08

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:08
I,d just hand them in to the coppers to look after. Could you imagine the stink if they get stolen whilst you are travelling?. One less worry for you. Make sure you get a receipt from the cops too!! If not the cops maybe a local licensed gun dealer..
AnswerID: 545790

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:12

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:12
They must be secured out of sight in the car, so as to not be stealable. My friend places a bicycle combination lock through the tigger hoop and attaches it to a teather around his boot hinge, he then shuts the guns in the boot. This satisfies regs in NSW.
AnswerID: 545791

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:21

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:21
Thanks for that. This is the sort of information that I require.
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833421

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:57

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:57
Sometimes it's difficult and it can be frustrating, but if you hang in there you'll usually get a sensible response.

We travelled from Qld to WA and back through NT carrying a firearm for a valid reason.

The boys in blue from WA couldn't have been more helpful and issued a temporary permit gratis.
FollowupID: 833423

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 20:20

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 20:20
Rosco

I cant think of to many " valid " reasons why anyone would carry a gun. ( Farmer yes , professional hunters yes , Travellers ?????

I would hate to travel worrying about my security .

I am really sorry that other peoples opinion are difficult and frustrating to you .

Cheers
FollowupID: 833425

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 21:44

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 21:44
Hi Mark D18

You are missing the whole point of my question. I am not thinking of taking them for security. I am thinking of taking them instead of held at the local police station while we are away.

Mind you, any feral cats would be a bonus.
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833434

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 08:08

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 08:08
D-Maxer

Fair enough. You seem to have plenty of recommendations on what to do .

Still surprises me how many people take fire arms for personal protection when travelling.

Have a safe trip

Cheers
FollowupID: 833554

Follow Up By: sam h6 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 08:25

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 08:25
I travelled through all states and territories in 2013, with firearms! Shock horror!
All states are similar in safe carriage of firearms except WA. They require a specific permit of entry and it can take a little while to obtain it. 4 phone calls of 10 minutes just to get started in my case. Give each state a call and ask is the best bet and er on the side of caution with safe storage, then some to be sure.
To all the do gooders out there the vast majority of firearm owners are not criminals and some of us like to travel around Australia too. In my case I am a sporting clays shooter and enjoy travelling to clubs around the country. This is not much different to a golfer who travels with a set of clubs in their car. I have a national membership with FGA and find its a great way to meet like minded people who are always happy to involve travellers in their local events.
I also hunt and conduct vermin control for farmers which helps our environment by eliminating some of the pest species that are destroying our native flora and fauna.
FollowupID: 833555

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:54

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 19:54
When I looked into NT they also required the police list of rifles registered to you. I assumed a copy would suffice. I also believe that the guns and their actions have to travel separately with the guns locked away and out of sight.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 545793

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 21:26

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 21:26
That is how they are secured in the gun cabinet. Actions and ammo in a separate locked unit within the gun cabinet.
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833431

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:45

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:45
In a Commonwealth reserve such as Uluru and Kakadu it is a criminal offence to have firearms unless you are just travelling through, however if you intend to visit any visitor sites you must ring in advance and they will store them for you while you visit.

I have seen the penalties and trust me it is not worth getting caught.

Hope this helps.
FollowupID: 833452

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:55

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:55
Hi Steve

Thanks for that. You have been a great help. I will look into it

Cheers
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833456

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 00:40

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 00:40
hey Steve, out of curiosity who is "they" that will store them for you?
FollowupID: 833548

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 09:42

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 09:42
You can store them at park head quarters, they have a gun safe for there own use, so your guns will be safely and properly stored.
FollowupID: 833559

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 18:09

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 18:09
its a good idea, but is it legal?
I thought (in WA at least) that you cannot hand possession of your firearms to ANYONE except a police officer, licenced firearms dealer or another person licenced for those particular firearms such as on a corporate licence etc?
FollowupID: 833590

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 20:58

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 20:58
Without going into it, compliance wardens in Kakadu do have the a high degree of authority, they are able to confiscate firearms, illegal fishing equipment, hunting items and have the authority to arrest under federal law in regard to the EPBC.
FollowupID: 833599

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 09:40

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 09:40
I would want proof from them that they do indeed have the authority, not trying to be difficult but, I know of quite a few that believe they have more authority than they actually do posess under law. If I handed my guns over to them and they didn't actually have that authority then I believe I am then committing an offence.

A uniformed Police Officer with a Warrant Card / Badge would suffice for me to hand my guns over but I would also need a receipt from them with the time & date & their badge number - this is what I was told by our gun instructors here in SA.

cheers
FollowupID: 833620

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:13

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:13
Kakadu rangers wear a parks uniform, the compliance wardens have a card with photo ID that shows no doubt who they are and their authority, if you commit a serious offence these guy's do not play games, but in the same token they would be more than helpful should you need to store your firearms safely while you visit.

Just to clarify there are rangers in the park that are just that rangers, they generaly acompany other rangers that have some compliance authority, and then there are the compliance wardens, most senior rangers are copliance wardens, these are the guy's and girls that have full authority to enforce the EPBC.
FollowupID: 833621

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:28

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:28
Hi Steve, I think that is the issue in that some do and some don't have the authority and can assume / step over their boundaries, possibly not realising that they are committing an offence and also making the firearm owner also commit an offence by handing firearms to someone that does not have authority to take possession.

I guess one has to read the Law that applies in that area and who has the authority and who doesn't. The only reason I mentioned this is that I am aware of many here in SA that purport to have authority but then checking with Police they in fact do not.

BTW I never take firearms into Parks so am not in that predicament, although when we were being stalked by a feral cat once at Algebuckina I wished that I had carried one through the Simpson.

cheers
FollowupID: 833625

Reply By: Zippo - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 20:10

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 20:10
One thing to check carefully is the matter of permits for entering aboriginal territory. Even back in 1972 there was a prohibition - which we discovered when obtaining a permit in Alice for transit back to WA. It *may* have changed, but I'd be surprised.
AnswerID: 545795

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 20:33

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 20:33
youve got a solution looking for a problem
your firearms just need to be kept at your place of residence, unless your selling or renting your house leave them there
Ive owned firearms in WA for years and I fail to see what your issue is?

your much more likely to run into an issue travelling around with them.
Just for starters you need a reason to have them with you - and going on holidays isnt one of them.
and BTW its highly unlikely your local cop shop will take them for you

id say youve made a simple thing highly complicated - you dont need to do anything special with your firearms to go on holiday
AnswerID: 545799

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 21:15

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 21:15
That was my initial reaction, too.
What is the difference between leaving them in the house while you go to the cinema together and leaving them in the house while you travel?
OK, the travel is likely to be a bit longer time-frame, but the concept is the same!
Surely, provided the weapons are legally stored (ie breech mechanism and body separately, ammunition in a different location again, I believe), there should be no problem going away.
FollowupID: 833429

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 21:39

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 21:39
Hi Get outmore. If you are a licensed firearms owner in WA, I think you had better check up on the regulations. The only reason my wife also has a firearms license for the same firearms is because that is the rules. I work away quite a bit, I was told by the local constabulary that if I was away working, I had to hand them in or my wife, who was not working away, would also need a license. That is what we have done. I like to keep things legal. That is why I asked my question.

At least I have had some sensible replies from others and starting to see what is required for other States and Territories plus Aboriginal land.

I hope you don't get visited by the firearms people while you are next on holidays. What is your address?
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833432

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:15

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:15
Dmaxer,

While the firearms are stored at the address shown on your licence there should not be a problem, even while you are away. Your wife would need to be jointly licence should she want to move them, or travel with them.

If you do decide that the location is not safe while you travel, I think you will find the cops loathe to simply store them for you.

But as gom says lock Em up and go on Holiday's.

Alan

FollowupID: 833438

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:27

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:27
D maxer. You fell for an unfortunate truth about WA
police very few to possibly none of them know firearms laws.
what that cop told you is a massive pile of excrement and blatently untrue
FollowupID: 833444

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:36

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:36
your wife only needs to be licensed for your firearms if she has access to them.
if the cops came round and only she was home all she needs to do is tell them she has no access to the firearms and they will have to come back when your home... you actually have no idea if the firearms are in the safe.
btw ive owned pistols in WA for nearly 20 years .. coppers not having any clue has always been an issue
but ive never had any issue
FollowupID: 833447

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:37

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:37
Hi Get outmore

I must have owned firearms for longer than you. They were the regs until the Port Arthur hoo ha

If you check my latest post, you will find that you are now right after checking with my mate in firearms, but that was the regs until then.

Bugger, we have been paying for two licenses for nothing.

Anyway, I now know what is required to take them and watch out any vermin along the way, especially feral cats
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833448

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:51

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:51
The regulations never changed from port arthur for me..
its always been a requirement to keep pistols in a safe .
I only said how long id owned pitols in WA I didnt mention how long in SA.
dont forget (thank goodness);we dont have australia wide uniform gun laws
FollowupID: 833454

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 23:30

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 23:30
Right or wrong, I was told by local Police that our sons, as our employees, could use the firearms licensed to my husband. Now that one son is living on another property her had the same firearms on his firearms licence in case he borrows them. We both have the same safes to meet the current legislation. If this is correct, there is not need for your wife to also hold a licence for your firearms to remain in your home firearms safe.

I don't think the Police would have any issue with storing the guns while you are away for added safety. When my Father died, we handed his gun to the local Police as soon as possible, and they had to remain there until Grant of Probate when they could be passed on to beneficiaries.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 833461

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 09:41

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 09:41
MH your sons could use the firearms on your property in your husbands prescence - they definitly could not transport them as they are not licensed for them.
there is definitly no requirement for dwellers of the house to be licensed for the firearms BUT THE CANNOT HAVE ACCESS TO THEM as is know where the keys are /combination

theres the old story about coppers coming to the house and asking the unlicensed wife to look at the guns so she gets the key and opens the safe ---- thanks for coming.

end of the day ive never had police ask anything about my pistols.

as for coppers storing firearms these days - usually they simply do not have the room and its unnessary paperwork. Also while I have done it before I knew better it is foolish to hand your guns to police as you may well not get them back (especially the esperance police but things may have changed that was a while ago)
these days dealers will do that for you and are far more honest

FollowupID: 833479

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 20:32

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 20:32
I agree with Get outmore.......anyway...... ask your local gun shop to store them if your worried about it. Its legal and you don't need to even bother the cops?
FollowupID: 833533

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:22

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:22
I neither live in West Australia or own a firearm, but this post caught my attention and on reading thought it odd that taking the firearms with you and having them stored in a vehicle would be safer than leaving them at home in the fire-arm safe. It had me thinking is this a rule that doesn't pass the common sense test.

Perhaps this clarifies, others may be more informed on the interpretation, but it does look fairly clear.

In a brochure produced by the WA Police on the storage of firearms, it states, in part…

“Most importantly, if you are going to be away for any period of time CONSIDER having your firearms safely stored with a Dealer or at a Police Station…”

“Never leave a firearm unattended in a car. It is an offence to do so.”

I think the key word in the statement is “consider”. It doesn’t say you must or required to do so. The second part of the statement appears clear also.

This is a link to the brochure.

Firearm Theft Prevention - WA Police

And good luck on your travels.

Cheers Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 545804

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:30

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:30
Thanks Baz

Just checked with my mate and he clarifies what you say. Since Port Arthur and the requirement to have secure firearms cabinets, it is no longer a requirement to hand them in. I was also told that I would be charged a fee to leave them with the local cop shop.

I don't need a cabinet in the ute like some Eastern States, but have to make sure they are out of sight and secure.

All I need to know now is what is required in SA as I know what is required for the NT
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833446

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:27

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 22:27
Each year we have a big clay shooting event. (Wagga Wagga)
Each year the licencing police are checking each vehicle to make sure they have secured, police approved, gun containers.

When I went travelling year before last, to save any hassles of mine being stolen while I was gone, as house was empty for a few months, I left mine at a dealers.
Part of the payment I had to hand over was something to do with the storage address. As well as storage fee.

Thought better safe than sorry. If house is empty for a while, thieves have all the time in the world to get what they want. Not a quick ten minute grab before resident gets back.
AnswerID: 545805

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 23:19

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 23:19
I am I licensed firearm holder and live in wa.I have had my license since 1972 and since then have acquired 6 firearms which all are used for different purposes.Every year for the past 15 years Ihave travelled interstate with a rifle specifically used for hunting mainly in the N.territory and Queensland and have never had a problem.If you ask 10 different police about the regulations you will probably get 10 different answers, but my summary of the regulations is that the firearm must be licensed, kept out of sight with bolt removed( if there is one), ammunition locked away from the firearm, and vehicle locked at all times when vacant.Alsoif like my self you are using it for hunting carry all letters of permission to hunt on private property with you.As far as leaving your firearm at home as long as it is in an approved cabinet you should have no problem.Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 545810

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 17:29

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 17:29
Firearms regulations are online.
Approved cabinet required, non licensed people are not allowed access to you cabinet, so if your wife tells the police the keys are on the hook then your in strife.
Cheers
FollowupID: 833527

Reply By: cookie1 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 14:52

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 14:52
I'm in SA and own a few firearms

I was always brought up with gun safety and the Port Arthur incident had very little effect on us as we always kept our firearms including pistols locked away with the Ammunition in a separate area to the bolts so you had to gain access to 3 different areas to get close to a loaded firearm.

When I travel with my firearms I have them secured to the cargo barrier and covered, the 4x4 has dark tint as well so visibility through the windows is poor, the ammunition in a ex army container - locked in the rear of the main cabin, and the bolts locked away in the glovebox which I think satisfies not only the law but my own standards. I believe this is also how Police manage transportation of firearms for themselves.

I do know of a situation where the Police attended a gun club and looked around the cars, they found one with a window partially down so put their arm through, opened the door, popped the boot and retrieved several firearms, the owner was in serious trouble as it was deemed he did not adequately secure his firearms. The moral of that story is that you must ensure that your car is very secure even the windows if you intend to carry them.

My firearms are registered to me and only I can have access to them, I can lend them to another licence holder but we must have a loan document with their licence number on it and it must be current.

Hope this helps

cheers
AnswerID: 545913

Follow Up By: deserter - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 19:08

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 19:08
Just wondering about this plan to "shoot vermin" as you travel. Would that be after getting the land-owners permission first ?? Or do we just shoot off the highway as we go ??
FollowupID: 833654

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 20:27

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 20:27
Not sure where this question relates to this post, suspect you may be trying to bait me, pardon the pun, but...

Always need Land Owners permission and you must have a Hunting Permit, if there are other people around it is strongly advised to speak with them first so as to not cause any undue concern - I certainly wouldn't appreciate someone using firearms around me & my kids.

At Algebuckina I did have a couple of responsible firearm owners approach me and I told them that I was uncomfortable with them using them with kids present and they respected that wish.

cheers
FollowupID: 833663

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 20:31

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 20:31
BTW responsible firearm owners would never "shoot off the highway as we go"

I think you will find those sort of people would be those that have very little respect for the law, probably drink driving, doing drugs, speeding and most likely not be a proper licence holder nor have a hunting permit - have I missed any stereotypes?

cheers
FollowupID: 833664

Follow Up By: deserter - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 15:10

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 15:10
It came from this statement by the Poster

"Anyway, I now know what is required to take them and watch out any vermin along the way, especially feral cats
D-MaxerWA"
FollowupID: 833703

Sponsored Links