CTEK Multi XS 25000 - faulty?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 23:15
ThreadID: 111100 Views:5551 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, In my caravan I have a CTEK battery charger Multi XS 25000 (5 years old) that I use to give my 2x100amp/hr batteries a boost however at the moment it does not get past the "start mode". It reverts to the fault mode & the reason appears to be "The charger has been in start mode for more than 4 hours". It has been working properly until recently.

Any thoughts as to why this happens as I don't seem to find a satisfactory explanation in the manual.

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 23:37

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 23:37
Several possibilities John.

1. Battery voltage too low.Check the battery terminal voltage with the charger disconnected.

2. Charger connected to battery in reverse polarity.

3. One or both batteries faulty. Disconnect from each other and from the load and try charging one battery at a time.

4. Incorrect 'Mode' setting on charger. Ensure it is set to 'Normal'.

5. And of course, the possibility of a faulty charger (but I think not).
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545811

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:52

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:52
Hi all. I have the same charger with slightly different problems. Even when turned on with near fully charged batteries it starts off OK but takes 6-7 hours to get the batteries from 13v to 13.6v. When charging batteries from 12.8v it takes > 10hrs to get to 13.6v during which time the unit gets very, very warm, in fact hot enough that I am not game to leave it on unattended in the M/h. I sent a query re excessive heat to the Ctek techo bods and got back a non helpful reply stating that the charger has inbuilt temperature compensation which slows down the charge rate as temp increases. As the unit is mounted in a free airflow position and the ambient air temp is only high 20's I can only assume that the unit is defective and I suspect it is the cooling fan. I have 360 ah batteries so the charging times seem slow to me. I guess my next job will be to fill out an online warranty claim and then go through all the crap to get a replacement as we are currently 1500 k from place of purchase. The joys of being on the road full time can be somewhat lessened when this happens. Cheers.
FollowupID: 833491

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:12

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:12
Dingojim,

The fan operation should be easily determined by feeling for an air flow from the charger. If the fan has failed then it certainly could cause problems such as you describe.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 833505

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:47

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:47
Sounds pretty normal - they do get very hot when charging. Read the instructions about which modes it is in. They don't just go straight into bulk charging - hence the long charge time. 2 x 360 ah is a fair bit to recharge though.
FollowupID: 833512

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:52

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:52
DingoJim,
It is possible that this is normal, based on the limited information you have provided. Specially if it is a large battery or more than one battery in parallel. The smart charger still goes through its different stages; some stages may be quicker with batteries that have more charge already, but some stages take as long as it takes.
The above depends on the Amp of your charger (not stated) and the size of battery(ies) (not stated.
FollowupID: 833513

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 13:44

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 13:44
Hi gbc and CSeaJay and thanks for your replies. The charger is rated at 25 amps and charges 3 x 120 ah batteries in parallel. The charger is 6 mths old. the batteries are brand new and all associated wiring is spot on. I would expect the charger to get fairly warm initially when operating near max output but not after 5-6 hrs charging when output is much less. The fan is operating but seems a little noisier than when first installed so that is still top of the suspect list. I have read and reread the instructions and unit seems to be operating ok but hot electrical devices bear close watching. Cheers.
FollowupID: 833517

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 13:49

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 13:49
I have just read the OP comment re the manual and although the English is much better than most Asian imports it does leave a bit to be desired in "understandability" .
FollowupID: 833518

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 06:53

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 06:53
It will go all night pulse charging until it is happy. Hot as buggery, making weird sounds, fan on and off. The batteries will get hot too. I've given up worrying about mine but it is definitely strange.
FollowupID: 833553

Reply By: CSeaJay - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:54

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:54
John,

I agree with Allan; it is quite possible (probable) that the error is with the battery not the charger.
Can you hook the charger up onto another battery and see if it does it's job?
CJ
AnswerID: 545855

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 00:56

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 00:56
I agree with CJ that the most likely possibility is that one of the batteries is no more. Are they 5 years old as well?
Of course, there are other reasons for your Ctek going west....and Allan has given you a great list of possibilities.

AnswerID: 545894

Follow Up By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 09:29

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 09:29
Hi Gents, thanks for the follow up.

The batteries are just 5 years old but are maintaining their charge via the solar panels & when I initially switch on the CTek the voltage reading on the regulator goes from 13.6v to 14.4v but tried the charger again yesterday & it registered a fault after the 4 hour period.

I'll try to eliminate the other possibilities one by one while I'm on the road for the next few weeks & will see how I go.

Thanks again.

John

2. East of Cameron Cnr

FollowupID: 833558

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:58

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:58
John, how are the batteries performing? Can they run a fridge for a few days or take some other sort of heavy load?
FollowupID: 833560

Follow Up By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 13:21

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 13:21
Hi Gents, I've put on a load on the batteries (only 4 lights) left them on for an hour & then switched on the Ctek & it has made it through to the 3rd phase at this point in time.

The batteries were showing 13.7v on the regulator before I put the lights on but in the past I've switched the Ctek on even when it appeared the batteries were at full quota & it still went through the full phase of the charge process.

I'll monitor it while I'm away. Thanks again to all, John

2. East of Cameron Cnr

FollowupID: 833573

Follow Up By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 23:06

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 23:06
Just a further update, the Ctek has completed all functions & the "green" light is illuminated.

I'm at a loss as to why it didn't want to function properly however I'll monitor it over the next few weeks.

Thanks all again for the input.John

2. East of Cameron Cnr

FollowupID: 833610

Sponsored Links