Psst – I bought a Suzuki Jimny

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 09:39
ThreadID: 111130 Views:3078 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Don’t worry, I’ve not gone mad and traded in “The Landy” – the customised 79 Series Dual Cab!

I have been driving Mrs Landy’s vehicle to work recently and whilst she is happy to be driving “The Landy” it is a bit oversized for normal around town work, so she has been using her mother's car.

Mind you she feels a touch embarrassed driving her mother's Commodore as it has had more bumps then a carnival dodgem car. Crikey, there is no way I would be seen in it.

Clare, Mrs Landy’s mother, is advancing in age and her eyesight is not quite what it used to be and those concrete posts in the underground car parks are always placed in the wrong spot!

In fact the doctor has all but said, hang up the keys Clare, and Janet, the ever so diplomatic Mrs Landy, has been treading around that very delicately and having the car in our driveway has delayed that discussion, thankfully she says…

But you may well ask how did this unfold to the point of cutting a cheque for a new vehicle? I think a conspiracy unfolded in our in our household this past week.

In fairly quick succession TomO, the “Crown Prince” reminds me that he is only 12 months away from getting his learner’s permit to drive and he was looking forward to learning in “The Landy”.

What?

I like advanced planning and thinking, but thought the discussion was a touch premature. And besides, what was wrong with learning in mum’s car anyway?

Oddly, the very next conversation with Mrs Landy went along the lines of – "how about getting another vehicle you can drive to work and that TomO can use in the future?" She went on to add, "given he likes camping and touring, what about a small 4WD, um, say a Suzuki Jimny, no speed machine, just perfect?"

It sounded like collaboration to me, they were both singing from the same song sheet with Mrs Landy chipping in that…

“On a power for weight measure I suspect it is batting above average. Full frame chassis, true Hi/Low range and solid axles, along with good ground clearance”. Clearly, she had already been down to the dealership, which coincidently is right opposite TomO’s school where she spends a lot of time there doing volunteer committee work.

Mrs Landy was pressing all the buttons like a veteran care salesperson.

I’d been rolled!

Having said that, I must confess to being very impressed when I saw one in action on Idracowra Station in the Northern Territory a number of years ago and we’ve often remarked on its performance at different times.

So there we have it, a 4WD sitting in the wings for the “Crown Prince” and something I get to play in until I am required to hand the keys over, which incidentally I get on Wednesday.

Strewth, how things have changed since I was his age!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:17

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:17
Your not wrong Baz

Our kids ended up in our used vehicles when they got their licence.

While I could drive from about age 10-12, the first vehicle I ever owned (Ford Anglia 105) was not until I was about 20. And I had to pay for it.

The times they are a changing

Alan
AnswerID: 546012

Follow Up By: scruffy - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:49

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:49
I had one too, a grey 105E Anglia. Still have fond memories of it. Still see the odd one about occasionally. Bob
FollowupID: 833689

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 13:47

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 13:47
Mrs Landy’s first car was a grey 105E Anglia - I "borrowed" that one occasionally as well...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 833699

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 16:02

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 16:02
My Anglia was a two tone green one

Alan
FollowupID: 833708

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 16:31

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 16:31
Actually, I am coloured blind, Mrs Landy is telling me it was white roof, and rest green!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 833710

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 17:58

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 17:58
Ha ha! Memories! I had a 179-powered EH ute in 1966, when I got my licence! I was king of the drag strip! - drum brakes and all! [:-)

Then one night, a 105E Anglia appeared on my right when at front rank of the red lights in Murray St (one-way street in the city) - and my mate and I dismissed this POS, while we examined the older Holden we were going to burn off, on the other side of us!

The lights went green, the pedal went to the metal as only 17 & 18 yr olds can do - and HOLY MOLY!! - that Anglia took off like a jet-powered slingshot, and left us feeling like we were standing still, as that gutsy 179 pulled about 5000 RPM's in 1st gear!!

We caught up with him later that night and asked WTF he had under the bonnet???
Oh, just an ordinary grey Holden motor, he told us!! Yeah, right!!! LOL

Found out later, this "ordinary grey Holden motor" was putting out more than double its original output - with a race cam, triple Webers, extractors, polished and ported head, oversized valves, and lightened flywheel!!

Talk about a total sleeper! There was not a single distinguishing feature to make even a keen observer realise the thing was a total missile!!

That beast gave me greatly increased respect for any 105E I ever encountered, after that episode! LOL

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 833716

Reply By: new boy - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:23

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:23
: I think you,ll need a smaller boat:
AnswerID: 546013

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 17:32

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 17:32
very clever and also very quick
good giggle
cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 833713

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:57

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:57
Mr Landy sir,
With Mrs Landy's undoubted powers of persuasion, surely she could convince Mum that gifting the bent and battered Commode to her beloved grandson would be a very good idea. It's already showing signs of a hard life and, knowing young people, it's sure to get a few more bumps and scratches before the young bloke is ready for the Suzuki.
Keep it for yourself, it will go places you can only dream about getting in the "Landy" or even in the real landy .

You can tell when he's ready. There's no new scratches on the Commode.

Disco.
AnswerID: 546016

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:17

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:17
I'm not sure we'd be able to tell if there were any "new" ones, there is far too many old ones!

cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 833693

Reply By: Pattio - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:18

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:18
Did the very same thing for our 3 boys. Their mum doesn't drive so we did not have a second car.

I was concerned about my 4x4 as it is also my work car and difficult to do without if damaged.

We bought a 1998 Sierra coily that was 18 months old with 16,000km on the clock. Each learnt to drive, ferry their brothers and mates around and have some great adventures/misadventures in the little machine.

15 or so years on, after seeing all through Uni, they are independent now and it's time to pass the great little machine on. Paint has faded and a few dings and scrapes but mechanically good.

I have always felt comfortable that they were relatively safe as they were not driving in a clapped out old bomb that would let them down or cause a crash. BTW the zook has never broken down in all that time :)

Very glad that we did this.

Cheers Chris.
AnswerID: 546017

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 13:14

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 13:14
That reminds me Baz. My very first foray into 4WD was a 3 pot, 2 stroke Zuke. LJ50 if I recall correctly. Top little rig and would go anywhere ..... sloooooowly. Flat out at 80.

At that stage of my previous life we also had a giant German Shepherd who virtually filled the back.

When ever we were out with him in the back and he saw another dog, he used to get all excited and jump around which caused the little beast to rock from side to side, and then he would start to fart.

I can tell you dog farts in the back with no opening rear windows was not exactly pleasant
AnswerID: 546018

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 14:36

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 14:36
My first 4WD was a 2 stroke Zook too (LJ50), and ditto the comments on highway "top" speed, but great in the bush. I also had a large German Shepherd, but the Zook was soft top so the farts escaped pretty easily!!
FollowupID: 833701

Reply By: Member - johnat - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 20:43

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 20:43
Ain't nothing wrong with the Jimny! It's a brilliant small 4wd unit! Took us and skis to Jindabyne/Falls for a few years before +1 got a redundancy and did not require a second vehicle.
Fuel efficient, spacious (with the rear seats down - which is how it lived at our place) and sure footed in all the places we put it! Crown Prince should be extremely thankful for the benefits bestowed upon him by his loving parents!
AnswerID: 546049

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:53

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:53
Great to hear!

And yes, I think he will appreciate it, and he loves the outback as much as us (so far!) so 'm sure it will be put to good use...

Cheers Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 833735

Sponsored Links