Iridium Phone with Telstra SIM

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 14:53
ThreadID: 111147 Views:10718 Replies:13 FollowUps:44
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am heading off on a three month adventure in July which will include the Simpson via the Hay River Track then the Tanami through to the Kimberly, then the Pilbara and return home via a route that I am still descending upon but may include parts of the Anne Beadle Highway.

After a great deal of research I have purchased an Iridium 9575 extreme (got a really good price for a virtually new phone on eBay)

One of the main reasons I went with iridium was because I like the idea of using a Telstra SIM in the phone. I have asked at a few Telstra shops about the elusive $10 plan that I have read about and get told categorically that it no longer exists, best offer is $25 a month.

Anyway I have two questions, firstly has anyone scored this $10 plan recently or is it a thing of the past.

And
whilst reading the Telstra conditions of using a mobile SIM in a Satellite phone I came across this clause.

7.7 If you use a Telstra Mobile (GSM) SIM card in a satellite service handset/device your service coverage:
(a) in Australia will be limited to the coverage of Telstra’s GSM mobile network; and
(b) outside Australia will be limited to the coverage of Telstra’s GSM mobile network and international roaming service

Seriously?
Has anyone here actually used this setup in remote (non cellular coverage areas) I would imagine if this was indeed the case that it would have been mentioned in one of the many posts on the satellite phones that I have read. Just making sure.

Also I would imaging given the nature of the Iridium network that that would be a hard thing to determine anyway as any one satellite would have a fairly large footprint.

Thanks
Stephen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:12

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:12
The $10 plan did exist (I have one) and use it specifically for my 9500 motorola Sat phone using the Iridium system. You can use any Telstra sim card that has International Roaming activated. Althouigh pre-paids dont work. This system I've been using for 8 years and it works fine all over Australia in the remotest of places using the satelite system, not GSM mobilenet.

Cheers..............Jeff
AnswerID: 546078

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:16

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:16
I may not have been clear. I have the $10 plan but it is nolonger available...............Jeff
FollowupID: 833780

Follow Up By: Stephen_L - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:30

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:30
Thanks Trouper
the last reference I can find to that plan seems to be early last year, thanks for the confirmation.
Cheers
FollowupID: 833783

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 21:14

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 21:14
The ten dollar plan was available when I first got a Telstra mobile several aeons ago. It has been discontinued, but because I keep paying, they cannot upgrade without notice AND without my agreement (which I refuse to give).
It is most certainly not available to new plan subscribers any more. It has been chewed up with plans that "give" data and other stuff I do not need! It is a PHONE, for goodness sake, and is used for talking to people. If I need data, I'll use a computer!
FollowupID: 833806

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 22:38

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 22:38
According to the Telstra website it is still available.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 833808

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:55

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:55
Hi Allan

The document is dated 2012 2013 so may not be current.

When I couldn't find it last year I contacted them and they told me the offer was ONLY available by phone.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 833816

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:35

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:35
Well it was current when I obtained it in 2014 so it also may be current.
Talking to Telstra on the phone is an exercise in futility.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833827

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:32

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:32
Did you get it via internet or Telstra shop Allan. Sometimes you can phone ten times and get ten different answers. I am not sure when I contacted them, but it was only a few months ago.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833832

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 14:47

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 14:47
I got it from a Telstra dealer (Telstra Partner) MH.
A young bloke owns (or manages) it. I find him competent and helpful in contrast with the local Telstra corporate shop.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833837

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 14:52

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 14:52
Good to find someone who knows their business Allan. Some at Telstra shop salespeople are not much more than checkout operators.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833838

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:16

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:16
Yes I have and it worked as it has nothing whatever to do with the mobile network,

One cannot ever connect with the other.

The Telstra sim is simply used for billing so they know who to charge and gives access to the service as it is an accepted user. Or was when I used it

The sim must be on a plan and have roaming enabled.

Some confusion in the terms of use I would think.

Iridium has 66 satellites circling the globe and the calls, depending on where they going to may handshake through several satellites before hitting the ground station.

The $10 plan may be different but I simply took my sim out of my phone and put it in the satfone and away it went.

Calls cost nearly $4 a minute but if only used for emergency it is still cheap against the cost of a life. May be cheaper now.

Read about it herehttps://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/satellite

AnswerID: 546079

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:24

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:24
Forgot to say that when testing connections I found that someone on Vodafail and Optus could NOT send texts to the Iridium phone.

I could ring them and text them but the texts they sent never arrived.
FollowupID: 833781

Follow Up By: Stephen_L - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:29

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:29
Hi Tom
Thanks for the confirmation.

That link you posted is actually where I got that quote from (it's in the terms and condition PDF at the bottom) I was looking for the call rates when I found it.

I did know that the cellular network is not related to the satellite network however what a completely stupid clause to add to their conditions makes no sense whatsoever and is completely misleading (well as you have confirmed it's actually wrong)

Cheers
FollowupID: 833782

Follow Up By: Stephen_L - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:32

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:32
Good to know about the Voda and Optus
Appreciate the feedback, could have been quite frustrating.
Cheers
FollowupID: 833784

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:46

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:46
Tom, I'm not so sure about some of that.

The SIM does not need to be "on a plan". It can be a "SIM only" where it provides access only on a month-by-month basis with no calls or data credit included. This is exactly what the '$10 Casual' SIM that I have provides. Although the SIM does not need to be 'on a plan' it does need to be a Postpaid account with International Roaming activated at no additional fee. It cannot be a Prepaid SIM.

Apart from costing ~ $4 minute it behaves as a normal 'mobile' phone. If you can receive Vodaphone and Optus text messages on your mobile then you will receive them on your satphone when using it with your mobile SIM in the satphone.

There may well be "some confusion in the Terms of Use' and I think Telstra (and others) foster this situation. Even selecting "Casual Plans" on the Telstra website produces four plan options ranging from $55 to $130 per month with talk & text credit rolled in but no mention of the $10 per month SIM access fee option with no rolled in credit. They do not wish to make that option too visible because it has less profit potential than "Plans" which have the potential to overrun the usage.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833840

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 16:52

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 16:52
This from a similar thread on Whirlpool

Also keep in mind that once you are on Iridium using 04x or 014 numbers, SMS will only work with another Telstra or Iridium service. Does not work with Optus, etc.....

Which is what I found when testing the phone which was a Motorola 9505A Admittedly it was 4 years ago but things are probably still the same.

Have just rung my son who confirms that I sent a text to his Vodafail phone but I never got the one in reply. My friend on Optus had the same result

"On a plan" terminology usually refers to a Postpaid term account against an account for which you prepay or top up when needed. Whether it is "casual" or not it is still has to be postpaid.

My sim was postpaid $40 a month on a 2 year contract
FollowupID: 833847

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:28

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:28
Allan you did say this in a post down the page, so how is a plan not a plan LOL

Originally used a Telstra $30/month satellite plan but switched to Telstra's $10 month Casual Plan with Roaming activated
FollowupID: 833853

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:38

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:38
Yes Tom, Telstra's expressions can be quite confusing. In fact I find anything to do with Telstra confusing.
But a plan is a plan is a plan!!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833854

Follow Up By: dean ( SA ) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 18:36

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 18:36
yes telstra have blocked SMS to but you can still call which is not rocket science as to why they do this.
FollowupID: 833858

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:40

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 15:40
I just use a normal post paid TELSTRA (NOT PRE PAID) and insert into the sat phone...this works a treat and some years ago I stopped the dedicated Telstra sat phone number

Need to remember it must have GLOBAL ROAMING ENABLED also where possible tell friends / contacts to only send simple (160 character max SMS) otherwise it gets confused with longer texts or with attachments. Also the smileys or emojis or whatever their called confuses its brain......simple SMS work fine

I just put my post paid normal mobile in...your paying per month if its on a plan and your remote travelling and not using it anyway.....from memory its about $3.50 a minute but you need to check on that.

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546081

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 16:13

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 16:13
I did say all that and also tell your friends about the problems with other providers sending texts to the phone As I found out when testing it
FollowupID: 833788

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 16:51

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 16:51
G`day Stephen,

Like others have said, the sim from my post paid $25.00 per month plan works in my Iridium Sat Phone.
However I suggest you set yours up and then make a call to another persons mobile or home phone as a test, if they answer it the cost will be on your next bill.
A cheap way of making sure it works ok.

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 546082

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:16

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:16
Try this Stephen

Telstra advised me last year that the $10 plan could only be obtained by phone.

"Lower fees can be obtained by phoning 1800 303 302 for a below the line plan."

That too may have been superseded, but do try it and let us know how you get on.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 546086

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:49

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:49
It's still available, it's not advertised and you have to search for it via Google.
Try Telstra $10 per month phone plan as your search parameter.
I signed up about 6 months ago.
There are a couple of $10- plans, as your aware they have no included calls or data and you pay a high rate when used for sat calls.
I actually have a Business Fleet Plan $10 per month as I was able to add it to my company phone account.
I have linked another plan below.

You will probably need to go into a Telstra store, take a copy of the critical information summary for the service you want as they will try and tell you it does not exist, be firm and show them the documentation to prove it does.
The stores don't make much money out of these plans, hence why they don't advertise them.
You need to enable International Roam and don't tell them it's for a sat phone as that's way to much info for them to handle.
If you have an existing Telstra Mobile service then add it to the same account (consolidated account) as they may try and charge you a $300- deposit as you have no prior credit record with them.

I told them I was going overseas and wanted to take my spare phone, hence the international Roam requirement.

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/personal-critical-information-summary-mobile-accelerate-casual-plan-10.pdf
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546088

Reply By: Andrew - Touring4x4 - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:52

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:52
We've used a Telstra sim ($10 plan) in our Iridium phone for about 8 years now. Only used on trips to keep in touch with home and, of course, in case of an emergency.
As has been said the calls are expensive but what price safety and being able to stay in touch with home.

I could use my normal Telstra sim but it would be always ringing with work calls and who needs that.....
AnswerID: 546089

Reply By: Stephen_L - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 19:19

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 19:19
Thanks for info
I shall give Telstra a call and see how I go
I will report back.

cheers
Stephen
AnswerID: 546090

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:37

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:37
Stephen, Telstra are hopeless. If you can, go through a Telstra Dealer.
See my reply below.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833800

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:04

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:04
If you do make sure you go to a proper Telstra shop as lots of them are best described as AGENTS and dont know anything about Sat service. At least the ones I went to didnt.
FollowupID: 833810

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:18

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:18
I have found the opposite in my area.

The corporate (proper) Telstra shop are only informed about the mobile phones on display, very little knowledge about wired products and nothing about services, even twice putting me on a phone to talk to an "expert" who was little more help. The staff change regularly.

On the other hand, a Telstra Dealer nearby is operated by a young, informed chap who is only too keen to assist. After all, he owns the business and is either successful or goes broke.

As for talking to Telstra on the phone.......... need I elaborate?

But service is where you find it I guess.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833812

Reply By: Angryz - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 19:54

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 19:54
Just wondering, if using the Telstra sim in the satellite phone are incoming calls charged at the satellite rate or just a standard call rate?
AnswerID: 546092

Follow Up By: Andrew - Touring4x4 - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:13

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:13
Satellite rates billed to your account for incoming and outgoing calls.
FollowupID: 833797

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:18

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:18
As far as I can remember if calls are from a cellular phone, they pay the normal rate and you pay also for incoming calls.
FollowupID: 833798

Follow Up By: Stephen_L - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:39

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:39
From the telstra sat elite terms and conditions document"

We charge you the following to receive calls on your satellite service handset/device using a Telstra Mobile (GSM) SIM card (for a service with a telephone number beginning with “04”).

Receiving calls on a cellular mobile (04) service in Australia (per 30 second block) $2.00

Calls to a fixed service in Australia $2.00 per 30 seconds with a 40c connection fee.

Cheers
FollowupID: 833801

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:35

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:35
You are paying for calls being diverted, hence the charge for incoming calls.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833833

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:34

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:34
Hi Stephen,

I have an Iridium 9555.
Originally used a Telstra $30/month satellite plan but switched to Telstra's $10 month Casual Plan with Roaming activated. Note that this is not categorised by Telstra as a "satellite service" but it does work in a satphone. If you tell Telstra that the SIM is to be used in a satphone they will tell you that it will not work. Accordingly, I purchased mine from a dealer rather than directly Telstra. He still said it would not work but processed the sale and was surprised when I phoned him from the satphone using that SIM from the footpath outside his store.

The call fees are higher under the $10 plan, about $4 per minute but as it is only for emergency use I accept the higher rate for a lower monthly fee.
As John has said, unless you link the $10 plan to your existing accounts Telstra will require a pre-payment of $300 from which the $10 monthly fee is deducted.
Callers to your phone will be charged Roaming rates.

An alternative which I have tried is using my regular SIM in the satphone which works just as well as the above $10 plan. The only disadvantage can be that callers who already know your mobile number may try to call your mobile and of course connect to your satphone at the elevated rates, and also of course bother you when you may prefer to be unbothered. The $10 plan has its own new number and so avoids calls other than from those you may have advised.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 546095

Follow Up By: Winner W - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:17

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:17
I got a Iridium9555 and a Telstra sim with international roaming and it didn't work. Got a Telstra sat phone sim on a cheap plan and it works.
FollowupID: 833811

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:23

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:23
In this instance it appears that you were not a 'Winner'. lol

Give me your phone number and I'll call you from my 9555 with the Telstra "mobile" SIM.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833813

Follow Up By: Winner W - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:52

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:52
True Alan, I was excited about the whole set up with my post paid plan and Sim as a regular customer with Telstra . The phone would pick up the signals but wouldn't connect. Inserted the sat sim and zzzzappp connected. I don't know why some people do exactly the same thing but doesn't get the same result.
FollowupID: 833815

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 00:45

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 00:45
International Roam not enabled is my best guess.
Mine works perfectly.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 833817

Reply By: nickoff - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 03:55

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 03:55
OK, good information.
Another question, would a post paid SIM from a reseller using the Telstra network work?
AnswerID: 546102

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 09:04

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 09:04
Where you buy it from shouldnt matter. Its how its configured that matters Post paid(on a Plan) and with international roaming enabled is what makes it work.

FollowupID: 833820

Follow Up By: Stephen_L - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:04

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:04
I have read on forums like whirlpool that resellers of the Telstra network (such as Aldi for example) don't work.

That is resellers of the Telstra network not to be confused with a Telstra dealer.
FollowupID: 833822

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:11

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:11
Yes would be right as they also dont use the full spectrum of the network

I was thinking of places like Dick Smith who are selling $30 Telstra starter packs for $15 at the moment..

Wanted one for a visitor 3 weeks ago Went to Telstra shop.

Yes sir we have them there will be 45 min wait for a service person.

I only want a simcard I said Sorry you have to wait.

Walked 3 shops along dumped $15 on the counter and out in 3 mins.

Telstra wonder why we dont go to their shops.

The above which is totally ridiculous is why

FollowupID: 833823

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:20

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:20
Exactly Tom!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833825

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:23

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:23
Yes Nickoff.
Mine is a post-paid SIM purchased from a Telstra dealer. It works just fine.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833826

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 11:16

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 11:16
It will if International Roaming is enabled.

However this is not always enabled by default and you have to ring and ask them to do it for you.

The reason being that if it is and you go overseas it could cost you $$$$$$$ if you use your phone and not realise whats going on.

So they normally dont do it unless you ask for it.
FollowupID: 833829

Reply By: JohnnyC - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:00

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:00
Telstra post paid sim works in my Iridium phone just fine, no satphone plan to pay and $4 a minute which is cheap if you are in trouble, it works anywhere.
Original sat plan was $45 a month, I ditched that so save over $500 a year.
With the Telstra sim in the sat phone you dial numbers as if dialling from your mobile, no more 0061 numbers, and people can call the satphone by dialling your normal mobile number.
When you swap the sim from the mobile to the sat phone it may take several minutes to log on the first time and appears to be not working, just takes time for Telstra and the sim to locate each other on the networks.
AnswerID: 546120

Reply By: Sat Phone Sales - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:46

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:46
Hi, it's not quite true that a Telstra SIM will work in ANY Iridium phone. Phones can be network locked to a single Iridium provider. Please check this before buying a second hand phone.

Whilst it IS true that a Telstra SIM will work in most Iridium phones it is only by the "grace" of Telstra that this works.

As has been pointed out Telstra actively discourage such usage in their T&C's.

If I was taking an expensive telephone bush for backup and critical emergency communications I'd consider connecting it with an Iridium airtime provider rather than relying on a loop hole. It would only take a Telstra policy shift and many people could find themselves without emergency comms at no notice.

There are other communication options that provide even better value than the $10 SIM trick. $15 a month gets you a plan on other networks that have a standard mobile number. This means there is NO charge for incoming calls and the caller pays only the cost of ringing a regular mobile.

For those thinking we're trying to sell Iridium connections that's not the case. The time spent in putting connections through for the short time is quite high compared to the return. However if we were to supply an Iridium phone to a customer and they indicated they would use a Telstra SIM we'd actively discourage them, pointing out the reliability of the device is only as good as the weakest link - in this case a "loop hole" in Telstra's roaming arrangement.

I guess it boils down to how vital you feel that connectivity may be.

Kev

AnswerID: 546124

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 16:45

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 16:45
Thanks for that Kev.

In regard to your expression... "$15 a month gets you a plan on other networks that have a standard mobile number." I cannot find this option on your website. Could you point me to it please?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833846

Follow Up By: Sat Phone Sales - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:00

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:00
Hi Allan, check out the Thuraya and Globalstar plans. Naturally this means a change of handset if you already own an Iridium unit. Hoever, the ongoing savings can be significant, especially as there are no lock in contracts like some providers offer.

Unfortunately Iridium has always been expensive to buy and run. Perhaps with very fierce competition in today's market they will bring their prices down?

Kev
FollowupID: 833848

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:10

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:10
A "change of handset"???
No thanks, I'll stick with Iridium.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833850

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:21

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:21
Some users have been using the Telstra sim method for about 7 years and its from 7 to 5 years ago I had mine. At the amount they charge for calls to and from them probably the $ gains outweigh the negatives.

I was also told it wouldnt work by Telstra but with minor deficiencies it has.

I only ever made about 6 calls from it so for a cost of $24 and got my money back when I sold it I think it was a good deal.
FollowupID: 833852

Follow Up By: Stephen_L - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 19:10

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 19:10
Hi Kev
Thanks for the info but I don't know if I would call this "loop hole" given that it expressly states the call rates for using a Telstra GSM SIM in an iridium phone. That would seem to me to be an acknowledgement that the practice is in fact acceptable if not preferred.

Likewise if they wanted to prevent this from occurring I imagine it would be a simple fix on their part but given that they allow the practice and have done so for quite some time and given that the main if not only reason most people use this approach is for emergency situations I highly doubt Telstra would discontinue the service at least not without significant notice. They would simply be putting lives at risk.

Anyway for those following this thread, I shall call Telstra in the morning and see how I go, I have had to wait because I anticipate it wont be a quick phone cal.

Cheers

FollowupID: 833865

Follow Up By: dean ( SA ) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 19:52

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 19:52
Sat Phone Sales can you please provide which Iridium phone/provider has locked their network therefore not allowing a Telstra sim to not work ?
FollowupID: 833868

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 20:32

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 20:32
Stephen I wouldnt rattle their chain as the muppets you get on the phone barely know enough to answer easy questions.
If they escalate it something may get done to stop it.

I tried all the different departments and didnt get a satisfactory answer and was basically told it wont work but try it if you want to.

I did and it did so just used it and didnt bother them again.

As you say they give pricing for doing it this way so must be allowable. Never kick a sleeping dog LOL
FollowupID: 833873

Follow Up By: Sat Phone Sales - Thursday, Feb 19, 2015 at 07:55

Thursday, Feb 19, 2015 at 07:55
Hi dean (SA), I don't know if there is such a thing as a list of providers that lock phones to certain SIM cards. I doubt it as many don't like to advertise this practice. Locking phones to providers is done in the mobile market commonly also, even by the big providers like Optus and Telstra.

I can only relate instances we have seen - it doesn't happen often as we, in general, don't deal in second hand phones unless they have been workshop tested.

Recently we had a customer order an Iridium SIM / plan for an Ebay purchase. Nothing would get that phone connecting, our provider advised the phone had been locked. Another customer with an Inmarsat phone purchased airtime and we sent him a free SIM. On insertion the phone indicated the unit had been locked to another providers SIM. What was unusual here was that the phone had been purchased new from an Australian retailer (that's still doing this) and the customer had not been advised the handset was locked to a particular SIM. They did agree to unlock the unit, "free of charge" but the customer was without the phone for over a week and had to pay postage to have his phone returned to normal functionality.

Dodgy practice at best and possibly one Fair Trading would view very unfavourably.

So it does happen, but as far as a "list" goes - I doubt it. Obviously some of these companies don't advertise their "grey" activities.

I guess it's - buy your handset from a reputable source. Always ask if the handset has been locked and make sure you have a warranty if anything goes wrong. ANY repair on satellite phones is horribly expensive - even a battery, up to $200 for an Iridium handset and some older model batteries are simply no longer available.

Kev

FollowupID: 833889

Follow Up By: dean ( SA ) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2015 at 13:03

Thursday, Feb 19, 2015 at 13:03
Ok thanks.
Dunno if you can get genuine batterys for a 9505a but I bought a generic one off ebay for about $40 a couple of years ago.
So far so good but will interesting to see if I get 8 years from it like the genuine.
FollowupID: 833909

Sponsored Links