Birdsville Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 17:42
ThreadID: 111149 Views:2568 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day. Want to do the track this year and told best time is around the race period. Not interested in races as Missus couldn't handle 5000 drunken cowboys and me in the same place.
We have Collorado towing a 16.5 ' on road Nova Revivor. Just wondering on thoughts of taking van on the track.First and last chance so will be plodding along making the most of it. We ok with leaving van at Birdsville or Myaree and doing return trip camping out but she would feel more secure in the van.
Thanks for thoughts
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:03

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:03
Brian

If you avoid summer I think anytime is a good time to visit Birdsville via the Birdsville Track. And there will be some that say even summer is a good experience if you can handle the temperatures.

The Birdsville Track is generally in good condition and shouldn’t present any problems for vehicle or van, providing you drive to the conditions and avoid it in the wet. It could be done in a day from Marree, but take a couple of days and stop at Mungerannie!

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 546083

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:48

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 18:48
Its not really a track any more Brian , its mostly a good dirt highway you can sit on 100kmh on for large sections - I think last time it took us some 6 hours.

In winter of course you get get times after rain when it gets closed , this is about all you have to watch out for except when races are on.

We made mistake once of going up it just after the races and meet over 500 vehicles coming down it. Almost every car in our group (except us for a change) took stone hits from broken windscreens to body hits.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546087

Reply By: Andrew - Touring4x4 - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:20

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:20
I wouldn't go within a week either side of the race meeting. Too many crazies on the track and in the desert. Take your time with an on-road van and as a minimum you'll want to fit good quality light truck tyres in near new condition.
As has been said, the track is usually in good condition.
I would suggest Farina, Mulloorina Station, Clayton Wetland and Mungerannie Pub as the best places to stay along the way.
AnswerID: 546093

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:35

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 23:35
Offsetting the crazies, there are cops all over the place at race time so there is a fair bit of oversight of driver behaviour, drinking etc - actually a very well behaved event.
We have been there for the races as well as in the quiet times and no problems with either road conditions or other drivers.
But had one aborted trip when rain made the track impassable - water over the bonnet on first crossing out of Maree, and had to give up and turn back before Mungeranie because of bogged vehicles blocking the track.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 833814

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:51

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 20:51
Hi Brian

The Birdsville Track as modern as it is today, is still remote and you must be prepared for anything. Your best friend will be to drop your tyre pressures by at least 20% of your normal highway use pressure and slow down and drive to the conditions. Make sure that you carry and know how to use a good quality tyre repair kit and an air compressor. On our last trip, we came across a couple on the side of the road around 100 kilometres south of Birdsville, with 2 flat tyres, no pump and no repair kit. The trouble was that his tyres were almost worn out, over inflated and driving far too fast. Within 15 minutes of us stopping, his tyres were repairs with my good quality plug kit, re inflated and we were on our way again.

By reducing your tyre pressures, the drive will be a let better and if you sit on around 80kph, it will be better for you and your vehicle. The whole drive is covered in history, and if you do some research, and stop regularly, you will appreciate the drive a lot more.

If you care to read my Blog just below, it will give you an indication of some of the special features to be seen along the way.

Birdsville Track Blog

The only time that you want to keep well clear of the track is if it is wet, and then it will be a drive to hell and back. We are heading back up there again in early June and hope to add a few more important pieces of history of the track to my blog, with one such special item not even seen by local station people up there. A great friend of mine is manager of Etadunna Station, and now also manages Mulka as well.

Once I have located this special item, I will be able to show everyone here on EO. I have given the details to Jason before, and yes he has known about it, tried to find it himself, but never had any luck.

Yes the drive can be done in one day, but 2 days will be very comfortable and give you a chance to see the many special sights along the way. Under normal conditions, it will take you around 3 hours to drive from Marree to Mungeranie and around 4 hours from there to Birdsville. These times are for driving non stop and not getting out to see anything along the way.

Enjoy that special drive.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546096

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 08:57

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 08:57
Check the road conditions before you launch onto the track. Just a light rain can lead to closure so the surface isn't trashed. Have Plan B. Waiting will usually be enough but if you don't have a few days in hand head somewhere else.

Stephen's blog is a great resource.
AnswerID: 546106

Reply By: Russan - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 13:44

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 13:44
Brian

We towed our 18ft caravan down the track about 3 weeks after the races last year. Was a bit rough but if you take your time it's ok. We did it over 2 days, stopping the night at Mungerannie.

As mentioned above tyres seem to be the biggest problem. Reduce your pressure, carry an extra spare and/or a repair kit and you should be ok.
AnswerID: 546117

Reply By: cruza25 - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:47

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:47

Taken in october 2014 near Mungeranie

conditions are good but you still have to be careful because the gravel on the bends can be quite loose.. 3 occupants all needed treatment but not sure how bad

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 546257

Sponsored Links