Adding a GeoFence - what is a GeoCode Address?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 16:57
ThreadID: 111231 Views:2018 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am trying to add a geofence on my home location, and the pop-up box is asking me for a "GeoCode Address". What is a "GeoCode Address"? I can't find any reference to it in the help or forums.

OK, solved it, but I might as well post this as a help to other people who have the same problem as me in working out what to do.

The "GeoCode Address" is simply the street address you want the GeoFence centred on! Why couldn't they say that? :-) Once the physical address is entered, pressing the "Get Position" button will update the Lat/Long fields, press "Save", and you're done.

Easy when you know how :-)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 17:30

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 17:30
Just an aside but I wouldnt put my home address into anything that someone else may get their hands on.

Imagine if it gets into the wrong hands when you are on holiday.

They would know you arent home and the house is probably empty.

It may well be COMPLETELY empty when you get back there.

I only ever put my suburb in a navigator or similar.
AnswerID: 546499

Follow Up By: Member - Nannupian - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 18:42

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 18:42
Good call, Tom

Hopefully ExploreOz and my account in here are safe, because I have bought stuff through the site and they have most of my details anyway. but you're right, no point giving away any more than yopu need to :-)

I've done a few more experiments, and It seems that it uses the address to get your lat\long position, but it doesn't actually care what is in the field if you don't click the "get Position" button.

There has to be something in the field, so I put 'home' in both the name and the GeoCode fields, and filled in the lat\long myself (with a point close but not at my actual home). Interestingly, if you go back and edit the Geofence, you will find that it has filled in the GeoCode field with whatever street it found close to the position you gave. It still picked my road, so I moved the lat\long point a bit further away, and that fixed it!
FollowupID: 834238

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:11

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:11
Hi Tom,
As the member above has already said, only us - ExplorOz management have access to these details. As our long-term users already know, the website does not use third-party software. All our software and systems are hand-coded by David, who is the MD of the business, joint owner with me, and the site developer. All the Member accounts, our invoicing system, our online shop are software modules written by David which gives us total control and your details are not accessible outside our organisation (of 3 staff). We have operated online for 15 years - if we were bad - you'd know by now! The best part of writing our own systems is that we can respond to the requests of our audience and that has always been what has made ExplorOz unique. We build our systems with input from our users so we are always happy to receive constructive feedback and ideas for refinement. Geofencing is a standard concept in tracking systems but unless you've used such a system before you might not have come across the terms.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 834310

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:17

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:17
Ah but Tom what you say at the end of your post is very good advice and am also as cautious as you in regards to sat nav units. eg. in my car I can set waypoints. I never store Home. Just imagine if my car was stolen. They use my indash built navigator - press home and voila they drive to my house. Then they press my remote door controller and drive in. But this is nothing to do with EOTrackMe or how you setup your Geofence. EOTrackme is not a device that anyone has access to. EOTrackMe is a tracking program that we own and operate and that our members use. The system where you put your address is deep within the backend of just one of many hundreds of databases stored in a secure server environment. Not the same thing at all.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834311

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:26

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:26
I was in no way inferring anything about your systems and fully understand about secure websites.

What I was wondering was if someone stole your car with the gear in it could they locate your "home" down to an actual location.

Lots of people unwittingly put their actual address into their navigators and crims know that and pinch them to find that out an even chuck the navigator once they have read through it.

No worries just rambling

Cheers
FollowupID: 834314

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 19:29

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 19:29
All right....I'll ask...what is a geofence ??
AnswerID: 546506

Follow Up By: Member - Nannupian - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 19:39

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 19:39
It's a lock-out area you can define when setting up a location tracking device so that it doesn't show your home (or other personal space)

From http://www.exploroz.com/EOTrackMe/Default.aspx#tab=1

Protecting Your Home Address
Your home address is protected with an automatic 2km (expandable) Geofence around your home address - as listed in your “My Details” tab. Additional Geofences can also be added as needed (for example friend’s addresses) and expanded to up to a 10km radius. Tracking will not record/display until you are outside your Geofence.

Steve
FollowupID: 834240

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 20:08

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 20:08
Im not really familiar with it all but cant it be used in reverse A resident in our village uses a similar thing as his wife has the onset of dementia and goes walkabout. He has a tracker in her bag that she always takes and can tell on his computer when she gets outside a certain radius.
Seems to work as he knows where she is down to a few metres. It only notifies him if she goes outside the "fence"
AnswerID: 546510

Follow Up By: Member - Nannupian - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 20:28

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 20:28
Yep, it's only the software that decides whether inside or outside the geofence is what is desired. In the EOTrackMe version it just happens to be a simple circle (because that's easy to do), but it can also be a complex shape like a paddock, a suburb or even a country.

I've heard it used for what you suggest, monitoring criminals on home detention, alarms on vehicles if moved, etc. The application is really only limited by your imagination.

FollowupID: 834246

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:22

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:22
Yes, so the idea with EOTrackMe is that your movements outside the geofence is the only thing that is logged in the tracker. This means people (family/friends etc) viewing your EOTrackMe tracking page can only see you when you're outside that area. So - also if you're testing it, you have to go further than just outside your door!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834313

Sponsored Links