Best tablet for mapping.

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 16:08
ThreadID: 111239 Views:5290 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
My 14 year old Toshiba tablet is getting a bit and the screen freezes on moving map and does not always respond to touch. It is time to update. I am used to running OziExplorer and would like to stick with it as I have many maps. I plan to buy an android tablet and would like some advice. It will mainly be used for mapping but some versatility is always handy.
1. Which brand? Which has best screen? Are all the same regards GPS?
2. What size? My old tablet(12" screen and bulky) was mounted between the front seats of my 100 Series but it would be nice to have it mounted on the dash. Can you mount a 10" on the dash? Is a 7" big enough and can that be mounted on the dash? What mounts are people using?
3. In previous threads it has been mentioned that some have trouble keeping charged when on full brightness. Is this still a problem?
4. What else should I take into consideration?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Cheers Dave.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen_L - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 16:39

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 16:39
Hi Dave
I am a long time user of OziExplorer and a big fan of it, I used to use a PC in the car with a 7 inch touch screen that came out of the dash but now use a 10 inch ACER android tablet running Oziexplorer for Android.

This setup works great for me. The android version of Oziexplorer only has a fraction the functions of the PC version but more that enough for moving map functions. The touch screen interface is easy to use (much easier according to my chief navigator). If I want to edit a track later on I can simply transfer the plt file to my PC version of Ozi and can then use the full features. For me it's a great solution.

A 10 inch tablet works well, the tablet is an ACER 501, a bit dated now. I will be upgrading soon to a Samsung Tab S 10.5 inch simply because it has a screen that is easy to read in full sunlight (according to all the reviews I have read).

You should be able to get an adaptor to run the tablet from a 12volt source in the car so battery life should not be an issue but as a rule the brighter the screen the more power you use. Something with an AMOLED display will give better performance in bright light than LCD.

Make sure you get something with an SD card read so you can install all your maps on the card without filling up the internal memory of the device.

Cheers
Stephen
AnswerID: 546559

Follow Up By: Pauly_T - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 20:08

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 20:08
I would do a bit more research into how good amoled displays are in sunlight direct or otherwise. It is my understanding that sunlight is an amoled displays achilles heal.

Paul
FollowupID: 834326

Follow Up By: Stephen_L - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 20:31

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 20:31
Historically true Pauly
should have specifically mentioned Samsung's super AMOLED which is great.
FollowupID: 834330

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:22

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:22
We use an iPad mini with the Hema map set but you can put the MudMap product on as well but have no experience of that product but interested to hear if anyone has. Depends on what you expect from your maps. OziExplorer has been something of a passion for many and with it you can download waypoints which are important for trips like the Hay River but apart from that have really never had the need to worry about that I only need to use it to relate to our paper maps to make sure I know where I am lost

After that you can choose Android etc. But the bottom line for choice of platform is what you use it for apart from mapping that will drive your choice.

We only use the iPad for mapping

Rob
AnswerID: 546567

Reply By: Member - Seacay - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:56

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:56
Hi Dave,

I have been using a Toshiba netbook running OziExplorer but have had the same trouble with the screen in daylight hours, very difficult to read in certain light conditions. Earlier this year I bit the bullet and bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and am very pleased with the screen display, can be seen easily in all conditions. I am now running the Android version of OziExplorer whilst in vehicle, I would agree that this version is not ideal for planning a full trip, I still use the old netbook (full version) for this type of work and transfer the details across whenever needed.

I do have the Hema Explorer on the tablet as well but much prefer OziExplorer.

I drive a Paj and the Samsung is mounted in front of the dashboard by a suction cup mount off the windscreen, the mounting was originally used for the netbook and is now a bit overkill as the tablet only weighs a few kilos, the unit is recharged from the 12v lighter socket.

Good purchase!!

AnswerID: 546571

Reply By: Member - Tony F8 - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 19:12

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 19:12
Samsung note 10.1, easily runs any mapping program, has in built gps and the best thing is if your not young, very easy to read. Bought a mount off ebay, about $20 and hasn't failed me yet, the mount has done 2 Cape trips plus the old coach road, and initially thought it might fail, but the mount is still there, also came with a cigi plug usb charger.
AnswerID: 546574

Reply By: Member - johnat - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 22:13

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 22:13
Simply put, you need to get your hands on a few and give them a whirl.

We use a 10" Android (that doubles as a laptop device with its built in (detachable) keyboard) but you'll use whatever you feel most comfortable with.
I have had, a 6inch, a 7inch and the 10 inch androids all running OziExplorer - no dramas at all!
Have also run Ozi on a 14in laptop, but that's a tiny bit less "handy" as it needs power.

As for mounts, I have found that "on the navigator's knees" is the most applicable. That way she cannot go to sleep ;)
AnswerID: 546587

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 22:53

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 22:53
I used also to use a Toshiba laptop running OziExplorer which I loved, particularly after I got a separate touchscreen that meant the laptop didn't have to sit on my wife's lap.

Then I got an iPad for Christmas several years ago which has been the absolute bane of my life for moving map purposes. The problem being that with Ozi on a PC you've just got so much functionality and flexibility, which suddenly isn't there with an iPad or other "iDevice" hence the frustration.

I also used an Android device for a while, which, whilst being more functional that the iPad, was still way short of what I was used to with a PC running Windows.

So, recently, at the suggestion of a member of the OziExplorer users' forum on yahoo.com, I purchased an HP Stream 8 tablet (for $169) which runs Windows and hence Ozi really well. I have all my maps that I've accumulated over the years loaded on and it switches between them effortlessly. I feel like I've finally come home! It just all works and is an elegant arrangement without a dozen wires running everywhere.

I find the 8" screen to be a good size (not too big not too small) and my windscreen suction cup mount works fine with this tablet. As my iPad was the WIFI-only version (ie without a GPS) I'd had to get a Dual XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS receiver and that works fine with the HP tablet. However I believe there may be tablets running Windows with in-built GPS's but I was happy to buy what was available here in Kalgoorlie, so I could take it back if it wasn't what I wanted.

Very good luck with your deliberations.
AnswerID: 546588

Reply By: andy - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 23:41

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 23:41
Our 8 Inch Samsung Tablet SM-T310 works fine for navigation, even when sitting on the lap of the navigator. This has the advantage that it can be moved away from direct sun sunlight which otherwise would give rise to a large temperature rise of the tablet. It also allows to have a close view of the screen. It can be stored away easily when not in use. The brightness of the screen is very good. The inbuilt GPS is sensitive enough to catch the signals even within the car, but this might be different for other tablets.

Cheers
Andy
AnswerID: 546590

Reply By: Lostkiwi - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:10

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:10
We're using a Toshiba 8" tablet WT8-A. Windows 8 and inbuilt GPS. Oziexplorer runs very well on it.

Made a mount that fits into the cd slot on the radio and a little velcro tab to secure the top. Has had some pretty hairy trips and severe corrigations, never looked like losing grip. Power is from an ignition switched usb power supply and it's set to switch off when power dies.

Very happy, B.
AnswerID: 546601

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 14:39

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 14:39
I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your mounting, Lostkiwi. Sounds interesting.
FollowupID: 834375

Follow Up By: Lostkiwi - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 23:37

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 23:37
Sorry Paul, non-member so no can do.

Fitted to NW GLX-R. Survived 2 trips into Cave Hill last year during a lap of the Sou-west. Prototype was a wee bit deep into player and, ooooopsie, no more cd's ever!!!

All the best, B.
FollowupID: 834417

Follow Up By: Gramps - Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 00:28

Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 00:28
Lostkiwi,

You don't need to be a Member to post pics. Just host the pic via a third party like Photobucket etc and use 'Insert Images & Files' in your post

Regards
FollowupID: 834421

Sponsored Links