1988 Jayco Jayswan

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 16:30
ThreadID: 111276 Views:2789 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just got home from buying 1988 Jayco Jayswan
Was winding it up and as it got to the top the front right strut collapsed and now won't wind up
Help me please I'm new with these thing
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 16:32

Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 16:32
Maybe ring the place/person you bought it from, they maybe able to help you? Good luck.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546734

Follow Up By: Sam S6 - Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 16:34

Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 16:34
Just tried to ring her funny not answering her phone - I just going to have sort it out myself
Going to ring caravan repair dude
FollowupID: 834503

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 16:36

Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 16:36
Sam, as the say in the Toyota ads, Bugger.................................. Again good luck fixing the problem
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546735

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 17:11

Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 17:11
At the front of the van where the wind-up winch is, there is a large cable coming off the winch; the cable runs across the front of the van inside the front compartment. This cable is attached to a plate with four hooks on it. To each hook is attached a smaller cable. Each small cable runs through pulleys to each of the four corners of the van and lifts a strut. One of your cables has broken. If you bought the van from a dealer, then you should immediately take the van back and demand it is fixed, as the van is defective. If you bought from a private seller, caveat emptor!!!
A Jayco dealer could fix it for you, but it would be a few hundred dollars. Alternatively, you could get someone on a step-ladder to lift the front right-hand side as you wind up the three remaining wires that work, and put a strong broomstick or tent-pole into the right hand side when it's fully open to hold the whole roof up and in place. Then you can get inside, undo the screws that cover the front cable mechanism, remove the defective cable, go to Jayco and buy a new cable of the correct length (each cable is a different length) and replace the broken cable. This may entail removing other furniture within the van, which is why it is a time-consuming job, and Jayco charges for all that time. Not beyond the capabilities of a home handyman though. Be aware that if one cable has snapped, the others may be in a poor condition!
AnswerID: 546736

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 22:57

Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 22:57
You can download this e-Book Download - Jayco Service & Repair Manual - print it out and . carry it with you when you travel
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546748

Sponsored Links