Passing cable through Jackaroo firewall

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 22:40
ThreadID: 11128 Views:2725 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all you Jackaroo owners...

Where's the best point to pass wiring through the firewall and into the passenger cabin?

I have tried to get some wiring through the large rubber grommet where the major cabling loom goes in next to the brake master cylinder, but that is sealed up really well and I'm not overly keen on cutting my through it.

I want to get wiring for a driving light switch and UHF aerial through.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 23:24

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 23:24
Don't know your rig, but if you can push a piece of stiff wire through the grommet you're 3/4 of the way home. Bend the outside end over the wires and pull through. No need to cut ... a teensy hole only.

Cheers
AnswerID: 49720

Follow Up By: Savvas - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:24

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:24
Thanks Rosco ... I have tried that and it just won't pass through which is why I'm asking.

In all my previous cars, it was very easy to do. Not on this one though.
FollowupID: 311537

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:42

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:42
They can be mongrels at times ..... ;-)))
FollowupID: 311538

Reply By: jackablue - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:46

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:46
Passenger side, everything on mine I put through the drivers side. No problem at all.
AnswerID: 49744

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:39

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:39
easy large grommet on pass firewall, make some grommet pokers as well ( various size pieces of pipe whith a chamfer on one end , start hole with a sharp point, some silicon etc. on chamfered end and she will glide on through, leave in position while you run the wires stress free without risk of dislodging the grommet , and remove and slide off cable on free side when finished.) i have always used these especially when doing stereo installs as you can run 4 guage cable etc. easily. Showed the guys at holden how to make em, they were amazed as they had never seen it before and always cursed running wires. we ended up using the broken stainless aerial masts for small cables.cheap and easy, cheers...
AnswerID: 49755

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:08

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:08
Savvas,
The only way is through the rubber grommet/s.
I hepled a auto-sparky mate of mine install heaps of gear on my GU when I got it in 2000. He had a great little gadget to assist with this. It was like a very thin cone-shaped metal funnel thingo........the narrow end came to a sharp point and the other end was about 30mm wide; it was about 7" long. It had an open slit right up it to allow cables to be inserted and for the tool to be removed after the job was completed. I'm not sure if it's something that is available from a auto-electrician's supplier etc.

He pushed it through the grommet and then was able to thread through the necessary wires/cables all at once. Made the job soooooooo easy. I always have to use a piece of coat hanger straightened out with a squashed-over hook at one end to get my cables through.

Good luck,
Roachie
AnswerID: 49759

Reply By: MattW - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:38

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:38
G'Day All,

One thung to be wary of is where that grommet is located on the passenger side is very near where the water drains off the screen. I passed some cables through the grommet but didn't leave a drip loop so now in rainy weather or washing the car the cable picks up the water and diverts it into the cabin.

Matt
AnswerID: 49775

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 14:03

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 14:03
I just pole a small hole in the gromet (centre) push my cable through (it's then pretty sealed anyway) and then just put some silicone around the cable just to make sure of a good seal. You will be able to tell it it's not sealed properly as you will here a small amount of exaust noise when accelerating that you would normally not hear. If so, whip out the silione again and give it another smear.
AnswerID: 49786

Sponsored Links