LED Strip lights...

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 11:01
ThreadID: 111282 Views:2745 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A wonderful invention ,I hear you say, & no doubt true, but they can cause some angst.....
While ensconced in a Caravan Park in Lightning Ridge we watched as two blokes old
enough to know better, had an "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" session with
their van based external strip lights. They had the damn things all around their 22'
palaces & turned everyone of them on !!!. It turned a beautiful dusk scene into a
sports stadium.. We shook our heads sadly & turned our chairs & attention back to a
delightful little Shiraz.
What happens next ?? "Home & Away is on" yells a lady from within..in a minute flat
everyone is in the vans. Lights off..? Of course not. Then two shadowy figures emerge from the bushes & simultaneously yank the power leads ...doors fly open &
our happy hour is interrupted by two angry old men, demanding, of us, what is going on..who did that ?
...The childbride, quick as a flash, replies.."couldn't see a thing..too much glare from all those lights.....and.....you two are old enough to have better manners..."
Apologies..? not likely, just two chastened chaps trudging home....but....
the led's did not come on again..
Aint life on the road an absolute joy.....cheers....oldbaz.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 11:14

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 11:14
Hope your not shirty because they didn,t invite you in to watch home and away....lol

It takes all sorts Bazz to make the world go round.

Enjoy the trip...and the shiraz..
AnswerID: 546760

Follow Up By: Cruznoz - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 12:09

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 12:09
Oldbaz . I reckon you're just jealous because they didn't invite you to join their **** measuring contest. lol. And good on your wife for standing up to them.
FollowupID: 834559

Reply By: OBJ - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 12:03

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 12:03
Yep, not all the pigs live in the pen.
OBJ
AnswerID: 546763

Reply By: Member - Nutta - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 15:49

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 15:49
Sounds a bit like the spankers running their gennies all night long!
AnswerID: 546778

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 17:01

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 17:01
Hullo oldbaz

I saw the ExplorOz blog yesterday about outside lighting and the thought crossed my mind about creating a thread about light spill. So thanks for starting it off :-)

A personal view - it is useful at times to have a bit of artificial light outside when camping. I use the term "a bit" because I like the ambiance of a camp site with natural light - the camp fire, moon, stars, whatever. And if not impaired by bright lights, my night vision is still reasonable. So my outside light is usually a very low watt LED to minimise current draw and light spill and it gets turned off as soon as it is not needed while we sit around the fire or watch the stars, satellites, etc. Also when needed, we use a head lamp.

I do not appreciate it when some campers light up their surrounds like a concentration camp and continue to leave them on well after they go inside for the night. And I am not joking - we were at Italian Flat a few years ago and there was a van there with bright flood lights on each corner, the owner inside with a large flat screen watching movies (which is fine of itself but for most of the day??) and a gennie going from 7am to 10am and from 4pm to 10.30pm to power it all. Quite a few of the adjacent campers wondered why he had bothered to leave home!

Is this an issue for other campers?

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 546785

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 17:30

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 17:30
I think you,ll find many people get annoyed at the scene you have painted.
Just cant wait for the day when you will be able to buy a gizmo that will blanket tv reception for about 50 meters. I don't want to hear the latest reality show or some drama on tv when I,m out camping..
FollowupID: 834581

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 18:48

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 18:48
Tv might go on long enough for the kids to watch A movie, before bed. If they are lucky. Apart from that, rarely on. (Stuck inside from rain different matter.)

As for lighting, a low wattage led at the door. If i'm inside, its off. Occasionally use those solar garden lights near the ropes/poles. Helps with those tripping accidents.
FollowupID: 834592

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 14:00

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 14:00
Excess light bothers us, too.

Our light over the outside kitchen on our van is angled so there is no direct light going anywhere but to the kitchen. Ditto the steps light is low intensity and directly lights only the steps. Reflected light from those is sufficient to light the rest of the small outside area we claim as our camp. And when we're finished cooking we find headlights, campfirelight or natural light are sufficient.

What bothers us more is noise. Why must people have incessant background noise to accompany their activities and spoil the sounds of the bush?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 834644

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2015 at 00:44

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2015 at 00:44
Just my 2 bob’s worth.
I am not a seasoned traveller by any means, but in 2008 I took 6 months off work, 5 months in 2010 and 6 months in 2012 to travel around Australia.

I bought a Camps 5 and Camps 6 books. The reason I bought these books was NOT to help me find somewhere to camp, but where to stay away from. I will drive past 10 spots where others are parked and find my own patch of flat ground and pull over. Then if I wish to turn the stereo up I shall, should I like to walk about with every outside light on I will.

The reason I camp away from others is, my wife and I are night time people. On all trips we rarely went to bed before 02:30/ 03:00. We both love reading a lot, talking to each other among other things.
Should some other person pull up and wish to share my secluded path of earth, I will tell them I don’t go to bed early and I could make some noise up to 03:00. If he decides to stay there, that’s his problem.

If, on the off chance I have to stay in a place where others are camped, I will and do obey the noise rules, but still not go to bed before 02:30. Saying that we very seldom get up before 09:00. In the mornings, the people that I tiptoed around all night trying not to make a disturbing sound, do not respect the same noise rules in the AM, which irritates me no end.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that not all of us are the same and go to bed at 20:00 and arise again at 06:00, and I certainly don’t have 20/20 vision in the dark.

Also I have a disgusting habit as well, I smoke, but I don’t drink. Another thing that irritates me is, I can be standing having a chat to a person, I wish to have a smoke, I will ask the person I am speaking to if that is ok. If he says NO, that's fine I don't have one, if he is fine with it, good, I will light up. Then a third person comes along to join the conversation, and all I here are snickers and snide remarks about smokers.

Do I bitch about it, what's the point.

Cheers
FollowupID: 834698

Reply By: Louwai - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 13:34

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 13:34
We are into Telescopes & Astronomy.
We have a bit of a deal with a favourite private camping facility a few hrs from Brisy. We bring the telescopes & give free public viewings each night that we are there & the owners don't charge us for our camping.

The camp sites in the part of the property where we always go are well spaced, (about 15m to next camp site, but occasionally we get campers next door who love to have the daylight happening well into the night. Doesn't help when you are trying to protect your night vision & show others the wonders of the sky.

The viewings are very popular. Every time we go, the owners advertise that we are coming & it's not unusual to get 40 to 50 campers a night coming to look.

AnswerID: 546828

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2015 at 20:02

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2015 at 20:02
What is thing you call a "caravan park"?
AnswerID: 546911

Sponsored Links