Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 09:35

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 09:35
What parts? Coburg or Gove. Only been to Gove by sea.
AnswerID: 546815

Follow Up By: Member - gezza0808 - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 11:44

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 11:44
We would like to try both but still in the research stage. Where did you catch the boat to go to Gove?
FollowupID: 834633

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 19:41

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 19:41
On Patrol Boats.
FollowupID: 834684

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 10:26

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 10:26
As a tourist you can only visit Coburg or Gove/Nhulunbuy by permit.
Numbers to both are limited at any one time and you cannot travel between the two or travel any other roads besides the direct route to both.
Coburg is accessed from the Jabiru/Cahills Crossing side and you cannot stop on the way except for mealbreaks etc. No supplies are available enroute or at Coburg you must be self sufficient for fuel and food for the whole trip in and out.
Gove is accessed from the south and is a two day trip with designated overnight stops, no caravans allowed or vehicles over a certain weight. Towing is frowned on or was when we visited. Most supplies available in Gove and access is restricted to certain places while up there.
Contact both areas for up to date info at the start of the travelling season ie: about now.
AnswerID: 546816

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 11:51

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 11:51
Vast majority of people easily do the trip in about 8-10 hours. I have done it countless times. Lived there for close on 17 years. The Northern Land Council do not want people stopping on the track. Take 2 spare tyres at least and fuel for 800klms in case the store at Bulman is shut. No caravans. Camper trailer can be taken in and normally the Walkabout Hotel is where they stay. Permits reqd for local areas as well as permit to travel to and from Gove. Prices on the steep side in Gove. Don't even consider a barge trip. Hellishy expensive for your gear and I don't believe they take passengers anyways. Drive with caution on the Central Arnhem Hwy. Not so much the animals as some of the idiots in 4wd,s.
FollowupID: 834635

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 21:59

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 21:59
Not so sure about he no caravan policy!
I have an Auatralian Off Road Campers Quantum, which I described to the box & was told I couldn't take it because "looks like" a caravan, so I bought a Tvan for the trip, to my annoyance when I arrived at the Walkabout Lodge, I was allocated a site next to a Complete Campsite Exodus 14, which is almost identical to a Quantum!
After all the trouble I went to, I was pretty disappointed with the Arnhem Land that we are allowed to see, most of which was either burnt black or still burning, neither myself or my travelling companions have any desire to go back!

FollowupID: 834692

Sponsored Links