Defender & Replacement Tank

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:27
ThreadID: 11134 Views:3650 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

In the interest of passing on some relevent info....just got the Defender(TD5 - Extreme) back from the ARB workshop. Shopping list was to have been a rear air-locker and a Long Ranger 127L replacement fuel tank. Air-locker - no problems and nice to finally have on board.

However, even the ARB boys didn't know that the LONG RANGER tank WILL NOT fit the Defender if it has a FACTORY tow bar fitted. The factory bar retains the rear folding step and as such the configeration extends slightly into the space that the new tank would otherwise occupy. Not Earth bleep tering but a fair inconvienience at the time.

Still have to make the enquiries to what articles will fit. If anyone has already been down this path I'd love the details.

Cheers

Miker.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:51

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:51
Change the Tow Bar and fit the LONG RANGER tank. Them if you still want the folding step get it modified to fit.
AnswerID: 49766

Follow Up By: miker - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 13:14

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 13:14
Well 55,

An obvious option but my issue was the additional cost of a new towbar, say $400 on top of an $1100 tank.The value in $1500 for an extra 45L of fuel is certainly eroded.

Miker.
FollowupID: 311565

Reply By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 13:31

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 13:31
When I bought mine I was lucky enough that ARB in Perth advised that I get a Hayman Reece fitted so this problem wouldn't arise in the future fitting of the bigger tank.
Not that that bit of info. is of any assistance to you.
Had a 2/3rd length ARB roof rack fitted, it looks good and there's not too much wind noise from it. Although a bit of extra noise with a Defender doesn't make much difference does it?
I've wired the spots up to an original equipment switch which normally operates the front fogs so it looks good in the dash, not a stuck on toggle switch.
Compressor fitted under rear seat passenger side as that's about the only place it will go.
There's a few other things I'll do and hopefully I've got plenty of time to do them in.
AnswerID: 49781

Follow Up By: miker - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 15:07

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 15:07
Alan
I get your point about the extra noise, but it's simply what you get used to. I quite enjoy the drive. Those last couple of components (except the tank of course) was almost the end of my "tart up". The beast now sports, bar & spots, UHF + Barrett HF, dual batts (fun installation!), 2/3 roof rack & rear spots, diff lock(& second compresser) &cargo barrier. All pretty practical stuff.

Main gripe would be that Landrover can't seem to fix the considerable under dash water leaks for love nor money. 2 visits x 3 days each = no difference. Other than the oft' recorded "idiosyncrocies" it's proving to be a solid relationship.

Cheers

Miker.

FollowupID: 311584

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:36

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:36
Hi Mike. I've also put in my own dual battery system with a Smart Solenoid, right behind the cargo barrier. Yes, I've got used to it and at highway speeds don't notice it at all. I've always enjoyed the sound of a diesel rather than some mindless commercial station crap, and as the cook doesn't complain, what more could a bloke want?
Happy motoring.
Alan.
FollowupID: 311621

Reply By: Alex H - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 16:28

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 16:28
If your Defender is a 110/130 not a 90, talk to ARB about a side tank under the drivers seat - thats where they fitted the one on mine - not sure about cost, but it holds 77 usable litres of fuel before it sucks air, so it virtually doubles the range, and if one springs a leak you don't lose all your fuel.

I don't have the rear step, but it could be a useful addition, as with the cargo drawers it s a big step up, and having slipped off the towball a time or two I'd much rather not so it again!! (it hurts too much).

Apart from that I love the Defender "idiosyncracies", under-dash leaks and all.

Cheers,
Alex.
AnswerID: 49800

Reply By: Rod - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:22

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:22
Outback Accessories of Perth used to market a 45?L sill tank for 110s through Opposite Lock. Maybe an option.
AnswerID: 49818

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:32

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:32
I saw that type of installation on the 110 of Peter Williams (I think) of Opposite Lock in Bunbury. He had fuel one side and water the other and around $1200 installed I believe.
FollowupID: 311619

Reply By: lindsay - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 21:52

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 21:52
Miker i don't think the side tanks will fit an extreme. I had the 127 litre tanks fitted at Bendigo off road and ARB said that it would fit with the standard L.Rover tow bar. Well it didn't . A.R.B. had to supply one of their tow bars that fitted with the long range tank,and then they kept the original one. So it has happened before.
AnswerID: 49851

Follow Up By: miker - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:20

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:20
Roger that Lindsay.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a serious hunt around over the next week or two and post the outcome. If I really get the trots I'll just throw a few "Jerries" in the back and spend the dollars elsewhere!!

Cheers and Beers.

Miker.
FollowupID: 311721

Reply By: Member - jtb - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 16:13

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 16:13
hi miker been there ,the 110 extreme lr towbar will not fit with a (127 ltr or-132ltr) longranger tank but hayman reece unit fits ,also a note your rear step wont fit if u get kaymar rear wheel carrier, check out my add in trader sections accesories 4 sale, also I WONT be going back to arb for work 2 my 4by as i have had an issue on every installation they have done (furious) . cheers
AnswerID: 49936

Reply By: Member - jtb - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 16:16

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 16:16
hi again where did they put your locker switch not on front of console i hope (bad spot) i am moving mine,from there as they are easy to bump cheers
AnswerID: 49937

Follow Up By: miker - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 17:02

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 17:02
Hi JTB.

The airlocker switches ended up on the very front facia of the centre glovebox compartment, basically facing the centre diff lock shift. I too was wary of accidental activation. Solution was to get a short section (3cm) of aluminium tube about the diameter of a pencil. Threaded a piece of elastic through it and tied it off. Basically a tube section on a rubber band. It fits onto / under the rocker switches and stops them from being depressed. Can't really see it either. Very basic solotion but works well. Just slip it off when needed.

ARB - well let me tell you - had my first lot of "stuff" fitted at one branch (Bowen Hills - Brisbane) and every bloody thing was an issue. Very unhappy. Not the product but the fitment. Last effort (Capalaba - Brisbane) was better.

However, had a LOT (re:$$) of stuff done through TJM on my last 4B, a Discovery and the f**kups were absolutely criminal - hence going to ARB. Obsessing again! Been anywhere interesting in the "brick"?
FollowupID: 311752

Sponsored Links