LD - Thanks everyone!

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:19
ThreadID: 11138 Views:2289 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi deserters!!! : )

Many thanks to everyone in the LD group for advices, extended shopping list of 4WD accessories, equipment borrowing, jokes and stories, and especially for the fact that I had a great time over there! Camping, 4WDriving, metting everyone, the works!!!
If I did anything wrong or stupid words of advice are most welcome!! (got the nose diving in to sand already : ) )

After separating from the group at Halls Gap, I headed for a bit of adventure thorough Grampians NP. Visited Mt. Williem, WOW what a view, got a photo, will post ASAP. Did a bit of 4WDriving thorough Sierra Range as well. I took a trek from Victoria valley Rd. 20% sand 80% rock. It was pretty easy except a couple of dips about 1.5 meters and couple of big rocks on the road.The fact I was on my own got me worried just a bit!! But about the third of the way in the trek my worries were gone (for time being) because I saw a Hyundai excel coming from opposite direction!!! G'day - g'day, they asked how much more to go and how's the road. I warned them about the rocks and dips, but reply was "we'll be all right" (elderly couple), I wonder how did they go, but I doubt it that thay have made it without damage to front end at least on those dips. So anyway I continued my way and track was pretty easy from there onwards until I spoted anotherone to the left which looked a bit more difficult, had a gate but it was open. Hmmm what to do!!?? Of course I took it!! Soon after I taught BAD CHOICE on the intersection!!! Track was narrow, very rocky, about 35-45 angle uphill with a drop on the left, did look how big the drop was (scare factor maybe)but from the corner of the eye it seamed scarry, anyway, no way back since there was no way to turn, and to go in reverse, wow, risky!! About 20 minutes later I got to the top, easy from now onwards I taught!! but the descent was so steep it was low range 1st ger and it still needed a brake help couple of times,took me more to get down that to get up!! lucky it wasn't so rocky!!! Got a photo after I got down from the steep downhill, should've taken some on the steep areas!!! Will post it as well! to the bitumen it was easy from there onwards, a joy drive. A couple of meters to bitumen, GATE COLSED!!! No, I didn't go all the way back. Checked area aroud gate, managed to get around it. I had enough of adventure for the day, it was getting late and I had around 300 km to home so I headed on a bit tiring drive and got home via Ballarat around 10.30 PM.
Well. I taught I'll share my 4WD story since you all had some at the camp and I had none : )

Once again many thanks to everyone, and looking forward to the next trip!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:27

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:27
Bit like "i taught i saw a putty cat"
Yeer good one Dragen, best not to be on your own, as you never know whats a round the next corner.
AnswerID: 49771

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:47

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:47
Great to hear you made it back safely. Glad also that you enjoyed the weekend so much...there will be many more. Also you did a great job driving from what I saw so congratulations are in order.

Well done

Cheers
AnswerID: 49777

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 16:30

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 16:30
G'day Dragan,

I missed meeting you at LD. I was the one sitting under the tree writing up my daily diary on my laptop when you came into the Caravan Park. Anyway we did wave to each other. The next morning we left early for the 800km trek home. Maybe we will catch up for a chat next time.

Yeah mate, I go out on my own all the time. It is good for adventure so keep on doing it.

On ya
AnswerID: 49801

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 17:20

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 17:20
Thought you were staying in the scrub Willem.
FollowupID: 311600

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 17:46

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 17:46
G'day Bob,

5 nights in the scrub and 2 nights in the CP. Other camping options around Dimboola weren't too exciting. Anyway it was good to luxuriate in the ample amenties that the CP had to offer. After 40 years of going bush and camping rough I can afford to treat myself now and then :-)

Regards
FollowupID: 311603

Sponsored Links