Oil Light

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 20:36
ThreadID: 11180 Views:4912 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I've got a deisel 80 series with an aftermarket dts turbo. When i'm on a very step hill the oil light comes on. Scares the bejesus out of me every time. It's the oil can with the line underneth. every time it happens i check the oil at the next avalible chance i get. I've all ways got plenty. Not far from the top or full. Can anyone explain? On the weekend going forward up a steep high country hill it was fine but when i turned around to winch some one up, the light came on while i was whinching. confussed. please explain.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:00

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:00
Cooper,

When a 80 Series goes up a hill the oil runs to the back of the sump away from the oil pump which is at the front of the motor. The oil pump might need looking at. Winching, the oil could have moved to the front of the sump away from the pick up. Because the vehicle was not moving and therefore not moving the oil around the was not being picked up.

Wayne
AnswerID: 49995

Reply By: donk - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:04

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:04
I think you will find it is the oil level sender light that is operated by a float in the sump

Probably what is happening on slopes is the oil is running away from the float position & bringing the light on but the pickup would still be immersed in oil so the engine oil pressure is ok

If you look at the side of the sump you will see the sender unit & from the position you should be able to determine what vehicle angles will cause the oil to run away from the float

Regards Don
AnswerID: 49996

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:19

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:19
Donk,

Just checked the repair manual and they use a sensor to measure the oil pressure. They don't measure the oil level, that is what the dip stick is for.

Wayne
FollowupID: 311812

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:28

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:28
I would have it checked the price of having it looked at far out ways the price of having the motor replaced or reconditioned, diesel engine's are not cheap trust me i know from experience, unfortunately. bazzar
FollowupID: 311813

Reply By: donk - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 23:45

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 23:45
Cooper

Most IHZ Engines use a oil pressure sender to operate the oil pressure gauge on the dash & a oil level sender to operate a low oil level light on the dash

I am not a 100% sure that yours has both but humor me & crawl under it & look for a about a 50mm square fitting with 4 mounting bolts (from memory) on the side of the sump with a wire harness attached

If it has this it is a oil level sender as i have described

If it has a oil pressure gauge on the dash it will not have a low oil pressure warning lamp

Let me know what you find

Regards Don
AnswerID: 50033

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 08:05

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 08:05
Don,

Yes mate you are right. On the non torbo motor there is a oil level sender unit. For some reason the turbo motor does not have this.

Wayne
FollowupID: 311847

Reply By: Well 55 - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 09:32

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 09:32
? if you have a drop in oil pressure the engine shuts down.
AnswerID: 50053

Reply By: donk - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 09:51

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 09:51
On the early 2H pre 1990 Diesel (excepting 2H auto's for some reason) engines they had EDIC (Electronic Diesel Injection Control) & a feature of this was a additional Oil Pressure Sender that controled the EDIC Motor & shut off fuel (stopped the engine)if the oil pressure was low

1HZ Engines do not have this & this may be why toyota added the oil level sender light

Regards Don
AnswerID: 50054

Reply By: haysie - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 14:43

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 14:43
been reading with great interest,i have a 91 diesel troopy 1hz with after market torbo done 180000ks.running around town the oil pres is fine but when on along hot haul oil pressue drops considerly 1/4 gauge.good compression, big ends replaced 160000, dosn't use oil .do these donks have low oil pres,level cut out? or could this problem be solved by adding a oil cooler ?? any info would be great
AnswerID: 50087

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:51

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:51
Evening Haysie.

I have a 1HZ Troopy with a DTS turbo. No oil presure problems.

One possible reason for this is that I had a chat to a guy who owns a 4WD rental service in the ACT prior to having the DTS turbo fitted.

He informed me that one of the big mistakes peolple make with 1HZ and other Toyota vehicles is using aftermarket oil filters.

Why: According to this gentleman they may look similar/identical, however the internal design is allegedly different. He stated that Toyota run a different 'valving sytem' to other makes which has a key effect in maintaining the required oil pressure.

Don't ask me how why or when, because I have no idea or further information re same, other than I use genuine oil filters and the presure is right where it is supposed to be.

Regards

Ken Robinson

PS

Yes! he runs genuine oil filters on his 1HZ Troopy fleet and has never had an oil pressure related problem
FollowupID: 311949

Reply By: donk - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:28

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:28
1HZ Engines do not have a oil pressure or level cut out

What i would do first if you are worried is have a calibrated oil pressure guage attached to the engine & check the actual pressure when cold & hot & check it against the specifications for the engine & see if a problem exists

If is below spec when hot than perhaps try a different type or grade of oil & replace the filter & see if it makes a difference

Original oil pressure gauges are a indication only & may not be all that accurate

Also 1HZ Engines have a internal oil cooler as part of the engine

Regards Don
AnswerID: 50094

Follow Up By: donk - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:37

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:37
Sorry with the oil cooler question i didn't notice before i answered your question that it had a aftermarket turbo fitted

Before you fit a external cooler perhaps have a talk to the people at the oil companys technical help line & see if they can make a suggestion on what oil you should use in conjunction with a non standard turbo installation

It would be interesting to know if the oil temp is increasing past optimum temp for the oil you are using but i guess yoiu would need to put a temp guage on it to moniter this

The problem with adding a additional external cooler is the chance of leakage from hoses,fittings or the cooler core.

If you don't need to fit one it would be better as far as keeping things simple goes

Regrds Don
FollowupID: 311890

Reply By: Member - Ken - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:39

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:39
G'day Cooper.

I had a DTS fitted t my 1HZ troopy a couple of years ago and had a verysilar thing happen after it was fitted. Yes! note, after fitting the turbo.

Cause: When fitting the techo removed the sump an welded the oil return from the turbo into/onto the sump. Then re-fitted the sump. Somehow a piece of 'crapola' the size of a match head, managed to get into the oil level sensor unit which caused the intermittent problem.

Solution: Fitting techo cleaned it out and it has never happened again.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 50147

Reply By: haysie - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 06:27

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 06:27
thanks heeps definetly going to try a different oil filter then take it from there thanks
haysie222
AnswerID: 50165

Sponsored Links