Magellan - Meridian GPS

Submitted: Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:44
ThreadID: 11207 Views:1569 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with the meridian GPS and the Discover Aus software. I have just purchased one from the US on ebay and does this replace the US basemap. Any info on this would be great.
Thanks
Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 08:26

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 08:26
The Discover Aus software enables you to up load up to 4 regions into the ram of the GPS or the whole of Oz onto 264 Mb card. It won't allow you to change the basmap over to the Australian basemap however, so as you zoom out you will go from the high detail of the Discover Aus region you are using, to useless low resolution of the world basemap. There are ways to replace the US basemap with the Australian basemap, but there are copyright issues. I migrated it from my Map 330 to a US sourced Sportrak Color succesfully. An intermediate solution is to use Magellans Mapsend Worldwide Basemap software and upload a somewhat better basemap of Oz, but it still is nowhere near the resolution of the 8 Mb Aust basemap. I believe Magellan will change the basemap for you but it'll cost you about $300.
AnswerID: 50167

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 08:28

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 08:28
Tom,
if you were a member I could message you direct with instructions on how to do it.
FollowupID: 311970

Follow Up By: wolfman - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 19:22

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 19:22
Hi Bob,
could you please email me at dwayne@swiftdsl.com.au i need to ask you some GPS questions....

thank you

Tony
FollowupID: 315566

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 14:17

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 14:17
Tom,

Have a Platinum and have as Bob suggests loaded Streets and Tracks loaded onto a 256 Mg card covering all of Australia. I also use a computer at times for moving map display. The card was on Ebay too at $109 landed but learning to use it was interesting too as I also had to update the firmware in the Meridian to handle the updated card.

With some versions of Meridian basemaps of Australia there are some major inaccuracies, like Cairns inland from Brisbane. Streets and Tracks loaded, overcomes some of those problems with major benefits like naming most of the roads you are about to cross as well as the one you are on. It is not commonly said but Streets and Tracks will handle the moving map on your computer too and help to find streets you are not familiar with.
AnswerID: 50184

Sponsored Links