A few Questions on RWC, Roadworthy Certificates

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 05:43
ThreadID: 11227 Views:5231 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does any one know if obtaining a RCW for a vehicle is the equivalent of passing it over the Pits here in Western Australia, reason for asking is, if I purchase a vehicle from the eastern states (some states) of Australia ill have to change the plates, so the need for an inspection over here. If the vehicle has passed a RWC am I presuming correctly that it should be in good enough condition to pass the pits in WA ?


Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:43

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:43
I think you need to have an immobilizer fitted to pass a roadworthy in WA.

I wanted to get an annual RWC for my NSW reg Troopy in WA and I could not pass because of that reason even though an Immobilizer is not required in NSW.
AnswerID: 50272

Follow Up By: koh - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 12:31

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 12:31
Thanks for the reply Bret

You are right in saying that about the immobilizer, unless the vehicle is a certain age.. not sure 20 years 25 an over, or something. I had a friend who had an old mini, they weren’t required to fit one because of its age.
FollowupID: 312088

Reply By: Member - Les & Clare (WA) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 15:58

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 15:58
Thats right. You must have an approved immobilisor fitted in WA whenever a vechicle changes hands or to get the vechicle registered. Not 100% sure of vechile age but I think it doesnt apply if vechicle is over 20 years old.


AnswerID: 50298

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 21:58

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 21:58
Unless there is some pressing reason for buying from ,over here, eg, much cheaper, model availability,etc, you are probably better buying local and saving the extra hassle IMHO. Based on having purchased interstate myself and regretting forever after.
AnswerID: 50334

Follow Up By: koh - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:29

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:29
Hi Rolande

I totally agree in that buying local would be the better option... bit hard to find what i'm looking for
I found a 1981 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER HJ47 at carsales.com and seemed good for the money with a few extras... you may find the one in question if you look... priced at $5700... If I found one over here in reasonable condition I would be more then interested..or something similar.. I might put an advert here in the trader, currently scanning the Sunday times & the quokka etc.

Sorry to here you had a bad experience with your purchase.

Thanks for the reply


FollowupID: 312172

Reply By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 14:30

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 14:30
Sorry KOH the RWC from another state means zip...... You'll have to get it re-inspected. I had a badf experience getting my tip-top condition 2000 GXL 100 series LC regoed here in WA even though I'd just gone through the NSW annual inspection process a month before.

The bloke would not give me a roadworthy with my Opposite Lock spare wheel carrier fitted (that had all the appropriate lights fitted). He would only register it as a 5 seater because of the cargo drawers and Milford barrier I had fitted. Even though the compliance plate under the hood says 8 seats. I had to pay $$ to get my long range fuel tank permitted - even though it was of a registered design - no problem getting the permit off the inspector(it took 90 sec), it just cost extra $$. The permit has in no way increased the safety of the vehicle. It is just a piece of paper that cost money.

The thing that *issed me off was that if I'd installed all these goodies here in WA after the vehicle was registered here, there would be no problem. He even told me to remove the spare wheel carrier for the reinspection and put it back on afterwards. So I had to buy a $40 reflector to put on the rear bumper for the 10 or so mins of the reinspection.

The inspector repeatedly asked me where the spark plug leads were and it took me some time to explain that diesels don't require spark plug leads.

KOH if you are Perth based - don't get your vehicle inspected at the Warwick inspection station - the inspectors there are incompetent and appear to be on a "power trip". I felt I was being "put through the wringer" because I had a big bush-ready 4wd and this is quite different to the usual Camrys and Barinas they usually get through. Talking to the chaps at Opposite Lock who could not believe that the 4wd woud not get registered because of the spare wheel carrier (they removed it and reinstalled it for me), they said that the inspection station in Midland does heaps of 4wd's with their spare wheel carriers and they are passed no problems.

Stephen J.

VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 50396

Follow Up By: koh - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 16:46

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 16:46
Hello Stephen

Thanks for the reply …

The more I hear the worse it seems to get with crossing the border… I’m about three hours inland towards the border from Perth. It’s with out question there are some places around where the competence level and ignorance falls well below what should be an industry standard. Shame you didn’t get the boys at Midland to do the job for you first. Sorry to hear you had a lot of time and money wasted.

Think ill try for a local one, WA at least.

Thanks for the replies.

PS nice rig... Im paying to be a member today so ill try and get a rig pic up aswelll. also have a 100ser.
FollowupID: 312198

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)