Comment: Wiluna to Telfer via Gibson Desert (Photos + Route)

Hi Rainbowprof,
No permits actually :-)
See the Permit's section on this site for a full list of areas requiring permits - go to the Topics menu and you'll find it there. To "navigate" we use a laptop running OziExplorer mapping software with a Globalsat BU-353 mouse gps and switch between various maps as required. Typically for this area we referred to the Hema GDT maps and the NatMap 250K digital topo maps. This is visible only to me - the passenger/navigator with the laptop swivelled on a custom-built stand protruding from the dash. For the driver, David likes to check the road ahead on a PDA screen to anticipate bends in the road to adjust speed etc, and for more accurate speedometer readings (vehicle speedo is out due to oversize tyres) so this is loaded with OziExplorer CE version and same maps. We also registered 2 devices to EOTrackMe - David's iPhone and a SPOT device - this was to track and publish our live moving position. Since then however David invented the EOTrackMePc software so we wouldn't need to have either the iPhone or the SPOT for the purpose of tracking as this could happen through the OziExplorer running on the laptop, thru the BU353 GPS. If you have any queries on this setup, you can call Adele in our office as all these options can be setup/purchased via our online shop, which she manages.

In regards to the girls handling it.... yeah, they have grown up loving these sorts of trips. Both girls spent 3 mths of their first year of life in the remote deserts on extended adventures and have been fortunate to continue to journey with us on similar expeditions. They both hard their own swags from the age of 2 and feel a great connection with the bush camping scene. I actually don't think either of them has ever stayed a night in a caravan park now I come to think of it!! So, its just what they know of "camping". Pretty good for little girls that at home, are connected to DSiXL, Wii, iPods, DVDs, Google and YouTube like the rest of their generation!! LOL The highlight of the whole trip was undoubtedly Desert Queen Baths and I would return there in a flash... a very special place to experience.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links