holdens crosstrac

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 17:15
ThreadID: 11295 Views:1647 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know what the deal is with holdens crosstrac on the adventura and how it works? is it an open or lsd center?? or is it electronic like the nissan pathfinder and GT-R where it variably locks up as needed?

Dave.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:21

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:21
Dave,
Not trying to be clever here, but I would be more worried about the ground clearance, this will stop you long before the drive system will, anything away from a dirt road is a no-no.
Rolande
AnswerID: 50558

Follow Up By: biscuits - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:34

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:34
Oh agreed completely on ground clearance.

But my question stems from a debate I am having with a mate who reckons its an open center diff - so that if one of the front wheels looses traction in the sand then the whole thing comes to a stop because it tries to feed all the power the to wheel up front loosing traction. Thus a 2WD LSD equipped standard commodore would outperform it.

he thinks its open, i reckon its some sort of electronic torque split - just interested to see if anyone knew for sure.

He wants his old man to try and get one as a lease car so he can see how crap it is (his words, not mine!).

I saw the HSV Avalanche driving through Perth city yesterday - looked like they just riced it up style wise big time.... yuck.... somehow I think i'll be staying with my trusty diesel pootrol :)

Dave.
FollowupID: 312361

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:01

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:01
Open center diff and individually braked wheels to transfer torque to good wheel. Wonderful system (NOT!!!!), you end up wearing out your brakes when you brake AND accellerate in loose surfaces. It is a BMW softroader derivative.........
FollowupID: 312426

Reply By: navaraman - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:54

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:54
According to the brochure it has 3 open diffs plus electronic control to stop the wheels spinning via the ABS system.
link
AnswerID: 50561

Reply By: Topend - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 19:38

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 19:38
Hi Biscuits,

The Holden uses open diffs and traction control. The other unique feature is the way the torque is distributed. Holden use a sun gear, plantentary gears and a ring gear in the centre diff to mechanically transfer something like 67% to the rear and 33% to the front. Therefore the car still behaves like a RWD.

I don't do a whole lot of 4WDing anymore so I almost contemplated trading my Landcruiser 100 TD for one but was put off by the high fuel consumption and small tank. Great dirt road car but limited touring range.

I,m now glad I kept the Cruiser as we are now planing to travel a bit more.

Cheers,
Topend
AnswerID: 50568

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:56

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:56
geez, it would be a race to see which happens first, the abs motors go into thermal shutdown, or the gen3 runs out of oil !!!!!!!!!!!!1

It was just a slapped on front system to get it out to market before the ford variant. might be ok to do snow trips etc. but i wouldn't like to flog over too many rough roads, seeing as the steering racks flog out after 60-70k on bitchi roads. Now if it was the same as the gtr's attessa system then it would be another story.
AnswerID: 50655

Sponsored Links