Carnarvon Gorge

Submitted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1131 Views:2167 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I are heading to Carnarvon Gorge (QLD) on 1st June for a few days from Bathurst NSW. I have a Commodore VS Station Wagon towing a Camp-O -Matic Converter camper trailer. Have had heaps of experience with the camper on dirt roads (the Oodnadatta Track for one) and was just wondering if anyone out there can tell me what the roads are like in the area. I have a National Parks book that says there is 75kms of dirt road and if wet only suitable for 4wd's. Now as a responsible driver and road user I guess if we get in there OK and it rains we just stay a few extra days till we get out. Time is not a great problem. Also just wondering about taking firewood in. The book says you need to take your own but I don't really want to cart wood all the way from Bathurst. Can I get any closer to Carnarvon Gorge on my way up? Thanks guys and this forum is the greatest thing since sliced bread. As a fairly seasoned traveller I check it every day and have learnt heaps from it. Keep up the good work.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Werner - Tuesday, May 14, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 14, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Brian, we travelled to Carnarvon Gorge in July 1996. From memory the roads were quite reasonable as far as Qld unsealed roads go. We had to book in advance to camp. After rain the access road can become impassable to all vehicles if the river is carrying lots of water. We didn't worry about a campfire so I can't help you on that one. The walk up the Gorge is one of the best 3 walks I have done in Australia. Took about 10 hours with plenty of stops for videoing/photos etc. Mainly flat with a number of side excursions. Hope this is of help. Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 3543

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, May 14, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 14, 2002 at 00:00
Brian, we went there a year ago, only about 40 km or so of graded dirt, so problem what so ever.
The Nat park campsite did close and has now re-opened, but smaller, only about 30 sites, and NO fires allowed anymore, so forget the wood..
There is still the private run camp/van places at the park perimetre..but we prefer the closeness of the Nat park camp ground.
It is virtually mandatory that you pre-book with the park management, to ensure a site, and max 5 days allowed there.
Worst thing was the vandalism of some areas.. graffetti etc..and bloody smokers cigarette butts along the trails, why can't they take them back with them..like pulling up beside a traffic island..yuk!!
AnswerID: 3545

Reply By: Darren - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
Brian

I was there last week. Great spot. The National Park camping ground shuts this Friday 17 May unfortunately. The minister is to decide if it will reopen - maybe not. There is 22 km of gravel road (the last part). Not a problem with 2wd car. We had falcon s/wagon and trailer. Road is not fantastic but is fine (bit corrugated). No fires allowed now at the campingground (when it was open)

Places to stay are Takarakka and Oasis Wilderness Lodge. Dont know what theya re like but sounds like Takarakka is fairly open. They have a fire there apparently so no need to take firewood.
AnswerID: 3560

Reply By: Brian Noyes - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the replies. Seems a pity they have closed the camping at the National Park itself. Maybe a few idiots have ruined it for the people who do have respect for things in our great country. Maybe something to do with those vandals and smokers as Andrew spoke about. I have located a telephone number for the National Park so will give them a call. Thanks again for the info and am looking forward to having a look around up there. Hope the Qld winter will be OK as looks like no campfires. Pity as one of our favourite meals is jaffles cooked in the campfire. Thanks again and will now start planning our trip.
AnswerID: 3575

Follow Up By: Graham - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Brian,
The road is OK for 2 wheel drive cars. There are are couple of creek crossings which would be of some concern if there was considerable rain, but in June u should be OK. Takarakka is the only campground besides the NP, check out www.takarakka.com.au/info/activities.htm for more info
FollowupID: 1443

Reply By: Fred - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00
Takarakka private campground was great last year
Fees cover use of kitchen and BBQ including gas stoves, kettles, detergent [August 2001]
They have a common campfire each evening near the kitchen - can use for cooking or just sitting
AnswerID: 3898

Sponsored Links