Comment: Product Review No.1 - Toyo Open Country MT tyres (285/75-R16) & Speedie

Hi Mick, I have run Cooper ATR's for years and currently I am using General Grabbers all of which I am reasonably happy with. I like the idea of stronger sidewalls so am thinking of the Toyo's for my next set of tyres. The one concern I have is that these can get to 80 degrees and over. When my tyres get to 60 degrees I would either slow down and/or put more air in the tyres. I have no expert opinion in arriving at 60 degrees it just sounds like a good figure. It would be of great assistance if you could answer these questions.
1. Under what conditions would your tyres get to 80 degrees?
2. Are you prepared to let your tyres get to 80 on a regular basis, and if so do you know of any study or expert opinion to support this.
3. Would these higher temperatures be as a result of Toyo's thicker wall construction.
4. How do the temperatures of other makes of tyres you have had compare with the Toyo's. In other words do toyo's run hotter.

Keep up the good work your blogs and comments make great reading with many great idea's.

Cheers Mick
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:02

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:02
Hi Chris. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 80 degrees represents the top end of the tyres operating range from their specs. Even fully loaded on bitumen I've not had them up anywhere near that high (68C is about the highest I've had fully loaded on extremely hot bitumen in the Pilbara). I'd be concerned if they were getting up that high. Where the advantage is with the high temperatures do not lead to tyre distortion with the heavy duty construction of the Toyo's. I've run three sets of Cooper ST's over the years and one set of Micky Thomson FC2's. They would run hotter than the Toyo's in similar conditions with a lot more distortion in the sidewalls. The Coopers were much softer construction but it would be unfair to compare them in that sense to a heavy duty MT.

Hope that helps

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 547713

Sponsored Links